The best way to edit natively -- CineForm RAW in the camera. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old April 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Trail version is a fully working (15 day license) of Prospect HD-Edit (not Ingest.) OEM is just an agreement for another compant to bundle the product, this is the same as Prospect HD Edit sold through CineForm.
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Unbelievable...

The pics that SI has posted on their site, cant be true.

They expose 700 x 394 pixels pics to illustrate the ultimate quality of disk based HD ????
David dont let them ruin your brilliant project/product !!
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Full res images are going up after NAB, all part of the tease.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Congratulations on this product David. We've just finished up editing a low budget music video shot on DV - we took this on to see if we had the editing prowess to make a decent fist of this sort of work. Going forward we'd like to do more of this kind of project in HD, and the facility to slot footage of this quality into our existing workflow makes it simply irresistable. It also opens up very interesting possibilities for our existing HD video games services.

A 'free' Prospect HD/Premiere Pro 2.0 set-up with the camera is the icing on a pretty extraordinary cake.

From a technical perspective, I'm pleasantly surprised that the 5,400rpm SATA 2.5" drive is good enough to handle 720p at up to 72fps! Is this using the equivalent of your DirectShow encoder's high quality setting?
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter
From a technical perspective, I'm pleasantly surprised that the 5,400rpm SATA 2.5" drive is good enough to handle 720p at up to 72fps! Is this using the equivalent of your DirectShow encoder's high quality setting?
There is a high quality setting than "High" in all our Prospect HD products, that is what the camera is mostly using. However the bit-rate for CineForm RAW are about that that of CineForm Intermediate (it is a RAW vs 4:2:2 -- RAW is easier to compress to lower bite-rate.) 720p at 72p may peek to 15MB/s (or 180Mb/s) to drives can handle it.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Excuse my ignorance, but can this camera integrate into a Final Cut Pro HD environment? Not for me, I'm Vegas on the PC... but many people I know would only be interested if they could post on FCP.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, FCP compatibility is planned in the time the camera's release.
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Component Camera System to become a reality ?

Okay, so I saw the pics of the new camera. To me, it appears to be what really is happening is you are taking a PC on other small board configuration, much like a Shuttle mini configuration, adding a CMOS sensor, a lense mount, various monitoring capabilities, and capability to capture large data streams and a hard drive. There are no moving parts, except in hard drive, right, and maybe auto focus and zoom capabilities. I recognize there are a lot of technical issues, but, the simplicity of this approach has got to me scaring the hell out of Panasonic and Sony. Remember the days you had to buy a PC from IBM for $10 k, now you can build one your selve for $600.00. Nice going Cineform people for moving this forward. Time to start stocking up on harddrives, though...
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #24
Major Player

Chris,

Are the pictures of the camera online?
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Richard:

Yes. But damned if I can locate right now. I recall I may have gone to the SG Support site, and registered there, and eventually got to a site where they had still of a film being shot with camera. Try that route. I don't have time to retrace steps right now.

I'm sorry, should have said SI (for Silocon Imaging)
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You can see pictures on my blog and on the Silicon Imaging support forum (under virtual NAB.)
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #27
Trustee

David, sorry if this was covered before... but if you put SLR lenses on the cam directly, aren't you always getting extreme telephoto due to about 7x SLR lens factor on the small imaging sensor?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Jettison CineAlta for Silicon Imaging?

David,
I'm a confirmed Propspect user for close to a year (bought it bundled with a hefty Boxx NLE)and have convinced a foreign investor that this is way to post a proposed tv series and feature film. When he gets financing in place, we were going to purchase a couple of fully outfitted Boxx or HP workstations (loaded with Propsect and Premiere Pro, of course) and a couple of Sony CineAlta packages. Call me crazy but would I be doing the wrong thing by steering our guy over to the Silicon Imaging for a couple of their cameras instead?
Jim Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #29
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Alex,

There is not that much magnication, as the sensor is not very small, this camera with have the FOV characteristic of a 16mm film camera. Yes you can put Nikon F mount lens on it, as a cheap lens solution, but 16mm lens are also inexpensive (rent or buy.)

Jim,

The SI camera might very well serve in place of a CineAlta, although as this looks a different, the F950 will get the best HD look, whereas the SI camera will be more filmic.
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #30
Major Player

RAW and HD100

David,

In your blog you said "Prosumer HD cameras pump up the image to make it look cool straight out of the box, this limits the dynamic range the degree the image can be corrected in post."

My question is: To what extent the "pumping of the image" can be undone in the HD100 (varying the settings) to avoid limiting of the dinamic range, so indeed it can be used as RAW footage that could be modified by the CineForm Color Matrix Settings without burning the data into the RAW image, same way you are doing with the SI camera?

Thanks,

Luis Otero

PS

Somehow, I always felt that using my single sensor HD10 was giving me great footage, even better than any footage I have seen by the Sony 3CCD cameras, inspite the limitation of parameters control of the HD10. I love my new HD100, make no mistake about it, but I never was bodered by having a single sensor HDV camera since my footage was always great...
Luis Otero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K