The best way to edit natively -- CineForm RAW in the camera. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old June 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
The GMA950 will not accelerate the OpenGL features of After Effects 7.0 and it will not do the GPU acceleration of the Premiere Pro 2.0 filters like the fast color-corrector, etc.

Thanks,

Jason
Alright, try to explain us movie makers: does it mean that it will not be working from a tablet PC at all? Or not to accelerate just means will be slow and not necessarily that will not be working?

Or is there any other solution?

I need a laptop for online editing & color correcting too (fast or not, RT of course) and maybe for your camera too. It should be an interesting commitment. Help me to find a way for to play with your toy, will you?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #77
Trustee

Hi Mathieu,

Purchase a Dell M1710 laptop. That's what I would suggest for a do-it-all portable machine.

Put in two channels of memory. Get the fastest processor you can. The installed Geforce GPU will be fine for anything you can throw at it.

I really don't think there's really anything more to say about this topic on what will and won't work.

Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #78
Major Player

The only problem with the Dell M1710 as an editing machine is that it doesn't have a RAID 0 array. Doing multiple stream editing on a single drive will not deliver the proper RT multi-stream performance. At 5400 rpm you can get a 160GB drive, but that's definitely only one stream. At 7200 rpm I think it's only about 100GB today, and also doesn't reliably support multiple streams.

I've tested the Vaio AR190 as an editing machine, and because of its RAID 0 configuration it can easily keep up with multiple 1080 streams in real time with color corrections applied on each clip plus a transition. It ships with two 100GB drives. They're each 5400 rpm, but because of the RAID 0 configuration they easily provide multiple-stream RT performance. I'm not sure if you can specify bigger drives in it or not - hopefully so.

So while the AR190 is good as an editing machine, how about for RT capture with the SILICON? It doesn't have GigE in its internal NIC, but it has an Express Card slot that should support GigE in the proper configuration for the SILICON. We also tested the dock unit today for the AR190 and it definitely has the proper GigE connection for SILICON.

The Dell will be great for CineForm RAW acquisition but only okay as an editing machine. For those who prefer a machine that does a good job at both I think the Vaio might be one step better.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #79
Trustee

Hi David,

Thanks for the update!

Looks like a very nice laptop, and the Expresscard NIC's are typically pretty good (they're using modern chipsets for aquisition which work well).

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K