The best way to edit natively -- CineForm RAW in the camera. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old June 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #61
Trustee

Currently we're not 64-bit, so having 64-bit is not going to help you in the next year or so . . . we have no time-table for going 64-bit.

So, for the next year, Core duo laptops with good PCI-express-based 1000Base-T chipsets (ideally Intel's 82573 chipset) will be perfect for everything you will need for this camera.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #62
Major Player

Jason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
Two laptop solutions would be great: 17" and another lightweight one. 15,4" (M65 isn't it?) can be an option but if there would be smaller, it would be gold!
From what I could read, the M65 has a NVIDIA® Quadro FX 350M 512MB Turbocache, OpenGL and the M90 has a NVIDIA® Quadro FX 2500M, 512MB (dedicated), OpenGL. Substantial differences for the purpose (cam capture and online editing & CC-grading work) ? Or not really?

Merci!
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #63
Trustee

No substantial difference for our application . . . maybe with the new features of After Effects there might be.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #64
Silicon Imaging

Dell Inspiron XPS M2010

Does the unit have Intel GigE...no mention of Wired Ethernet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call
the following unit is shipping from Dell right now. It has a 20.1 inch widescreen and RAID 0 (2x100GB) Hard Drive configuration see below.

Dell Inspiron XPS M2010:
Intel® Core® T2600 Duo Processor (2.16GHz/667MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included):Genuine Windows® XP Professional
LCD Panel:20.1 inch WSXGA+ Wide Screen with TrueLife™ and Integrated Web Cam
Memory:2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Hard Drive:200GB (2 x 100)7200RPM High Performance RAID Hard Drives
Combo/DVD+RW Drives:Slot Load DVD Drive on XPS M2010
Sound Options:Integrated Creative SoundBlaster High Definition Audio
Video Card:256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1800
Wireless Networking Cards:Intel 3945 802.11a/g Dual-band Mini-Card

I runs on dual 6 cell batteries! the think looks ultra cool for bringing onsite to show client your work or editing on location.

But like some people already mentioned it doesn't appear to have x64 bit processors, although the Dell site says it is Vista enabled? whatever that means.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #65
Silicon Imaging

Toshiba Tablet M400

This Toshiba Tablet PC may be an excellent model to accompany a SILICON Mini.

It has several important features:

Core Duo up to 2.16GHz
Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
Intel 10/100/1000 GigE
Wireless Networking
PCMCIA (put in a 32GB Flash Drive)
Tablet Touchscreen
4.5 lbs

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...400-ST9113.pdf

http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/de...econfigured%29
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
No substantial difference for our application . . .
Also for online editing? I'm afraid while the M65 graphics has memory shared, the M90 is dedicated. Or 2Gb is enough even to share with the graphics? Again: not only to SILICON Mini capture but also for online editing and color correcting & grading purposes?

Quote:
maybe with the new features of After Effects there might be.
What does it mean?

Merci Jason et Ari (that tablet PC bet can be useful and I hope a tablet PC as certified system from you)
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #67
Trustee

Our application means the Silicon Imaging capture and camera control application. A decent DX9-class graphics card will do the job since the program doesn't require THAT much from the graphics . . .

. . . Other applications like After Effects will take all the muscle you can give it.
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Savage
I mean there is a beta 32bit version of vista but what is the point, it's memory that is an issue for us and that means a 64bit OS wins out...
From what I've seen most videographers aren't using more than 2 GB of memory, which is plenty for most current software. It might be good advice to wait for 64-bit computing, but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference for some of us.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Presler
Does the unit have Intel GigE...no mention of Wired Ethernet?
Sorry it took a while to get back to you, yes the XPS 2010 does have 10/100/1000Kbs wired ethernet included (cat 5/6). It also has an optional blue tooth module if your into it. I'm not sure if the screen supports 1920x1200 native or not. My Dell XPS M170 (laptop) does have 1920x1200 native with all the same connections as the M2010 except web camera.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
From what I've seen most videographers aren't using more than 2 GB of memory, which is plenty for most current software. It might be good advice to wait for 64-bit computing, but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference for some of us.

Very true but my point was that some people (not all) out there will use an expensive laptop for very power hungry apps in edit situations (ie AE) and expect it to be a little future proofed and for the money that is very reasonable to expect, some really are not aware that the core duo's right now are not 64bit CPU's, I don't tbh even include a 32bit vista as worthwhile seeing as Xp is so reliable now (although the Beta version runs very nicley if you want a free OS for a year), you may as well stick with XP so I should have been more precise on 64bit vs 32bit rather than stating just Vista, my fault :-), I mean maybe others out there have more money to spend on Laptops than I do so it's not a concern at all to them and I was wrong to mention it but I'd rather wait and buy when I know the laptop will last me as long as possible and if 1 person felt the same then it's worth warning them about the current core duo's.

I do feel there are 2 seperate discussions here now about editing and SI capture, I bow down to the SI guys on capture, it's there stunning camera after all :-)
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #71
Trustee

I think in August we'll see the Merom systems starting to hit the market, so you'll get 64-bit then.

Remember that we're not certified to run on a 64-bit system right now . . . the gigabit drivers and API we're using for the camera data transfer are specifically made for 32-bit Windows, so if you're running 64-bit Windows, I'm not sure what to expect.
Old June 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #72
Silicon Imaging

Dell XPS Notebooks and GigE

The Dell M1710 has Intel GigE and Dual Channel DDR:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...n=specs#tabtop

The M2010 does not have the Intel GigE, instead it uses a Broadcom.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Savage
Very true but my point was that some people (not all) out there will use an expensive laptop for very power hungry apps in edit situations (ie AE) and expect it to be a little future proofed and for the money that is very reasonable to expect, some really are not aware that the core duo's right now are not 64bit CPU's, I don't tbh even include a 32bit vista as worthwhile seeing as Xp is so reliable now (although the Beta version runs very nicley if you want a free OS for a year), you may as well stick with XP so I should have been more precise on 64bit vs 32bit rather than stating just Vista, my fault :-), I mean maybe others out there have more money to spend on Laptops than I do so it's not a concern at all to them and I was wrong to mention it but I'd rather wait and buy when I know the laptop will last me as long as possible and if 1 person felt the same then it's worth warning them about the current core duo's.

I do feel there are 2 seperate discussions here now about editing and SI capture, I bow down to the SI guys on capture, it's there stunning camera after all :-)
Much appreciated, c'est vrai! There are 2 separate discussions but also there is who wants the two-solution-in-one aside the After Effects interest. Majorly for online editing and color correcting & grading purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
Our application means the Silicon Imaging capture and camera control application. A decent DX9-class graphics card will do the job since the program doesn't require THAT much from the graphics . . .

. . . Other applications like After Effects will take all the muscle you can give it.
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory from the Ari hint will it be enough for both purposes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Presler
This Toshiba Tablet PC may be an excellent model to accompany a SILICON Mini.

It has several important features:

Core Duo up to 2.16GHz
Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
Intel 10/100/1000 GigE
Wireless Networking
PCMCIA (put in a 32GB Flash Drive)
Tablet Touchscreen
4.5 lbs

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...400-ST9113.pdf

http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/de...econfigured%29
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Thanks for the August date Jason, makes it worthwhile hanging on a few months to at least have a chance of future proofing my investment :-)
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #75
Trustee

The GMA950 will not accelerate the OpenGL features of After Effects 7.0 and it will not do the GPU acceleration of the Premiere Pro 2.0 filters like the fast color-corrector, etc.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K