New Sony AX-53 Testing - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:21 AM   #76
Trustee

Re: New Sony AX-53 Testing

Thanks, guys, for discussing the AX53 availability. I just ordered one because the posibility of waiting until August was not an option. It was the last one they had in stock so hopefully they don’t come back and tell me their computer system was not up to date.

Trying to keep Roland’s question alive, posts #59 and #68:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Schulz View Post
What about my initial question? Anybody using manual focus on AX53 and already on FW1.01??
If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:11 PM   #77
Regular Crew

stay away from FW1.01 on AX53

So, now I'm sure: the manual focus problems come with FW1.01! A friend of mine also got his AX53. In contrast to mine manufactured in 03/2016 his is 05/2016 and already came with FW1.01.

He also needs 7 turns in tele to focus from close to far - unusable!! Hope Sony fixes that soon!!
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #78
Inner Circle

It says auto focus is improved with the update. Has he tried using spot focus ( touch ) in full tele to see if the speed or accuracy is improved? It may be quicker to use spot focus then if needed fine tune with manual. I have never been able to improve focus from the touch focus which is why I now always use touch focus. Downside is rack focus is at a fixed speed ( if you touch another part of the image ) so if you want to control the focus transition speed you will have to use manual.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #79
Regular Crew

I compared focus speed in tele but I can't see any difference, but we were only on 4k 25p. Maybe there are improvements in FHD since the sensor is read out faster.
I hardly use AF since it struggles in complex situations, even spot focus does. Shooting birds through branches or similar things is hardly possible. In full tele depth of field is quite shallow, so even in not that complex situations it's hard to get focus on the eyes with AF. But AF isn't really bad on the AX53. In many situations you get good results.
Old June 4th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #80
Inner Circle

I only use auto focus when shooting family stuff. My projects are in the theatre so a less difficult task to spot focus. My wife uses the AX100 to shoot closeups for our shoot and uses spot focus to focus on eyes of faces etc. Camera is left in manual focus and when she wants to re focus just touches the My button and the place on the LCD she wants to be in focus. I just felt that using touch focus to get close would mean very little movement for you to finish focus manually rather than 7 turns. If you set you My Buttons to be Manual focus( spot touch focus ), Focus Magnifier, Imagestabilizer ( or what ever ) and set the ring for focus. Then if you use touch focus followed by focusing on the ring focus magnifier will kick in as soon as you touch the ring and you can check if the focus is Ok. Just did a test shooting into the trees in my back garden and touch focus got it spot on all the time for me when I checked with focusing. I have peaking set so that I can see what is in focus too as one of my normal My Buttons.

Ron Evans
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #81
Regular Crew

...no more space on the "my buttons" ;-)!! I need peaking, zebra and white balance there!

AF or not (!! ;-) ), 7 rounds is silly mess, resolution to set the right focus doesn't increase by that since peaking hardly shows any difference many times. The old 1.2 turns is more direct and also faster. If they would do 2 turns I'd also say ok, but 7 plus is stupid - I got wounds on my fingers by polishing the focus wheel ;-)!!
Old June 4th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #82
Inner Circle

I have zebra on permanently, white balance is always on a preset but I do have peaking on a button because it only needs to be on sometimes. In the theatre there is always a mix of lights so no point in setting white balance as it changes scene by scene so I set indoor preset. When shooting outside for the family I just leave in AWB or fix outdoor preset and correct in post anyway. AE shift is on all the time on the ring. Outside it is about -0.2 o-0.5 in the theatre -0.2 to -0.7 just adjust watching the zebras. Focus is always manual but set with spot focus other than family videos when it is in auto.

I agree 7 turns is a little excessive but I expect Sony expected this type of camera to be used in a different way.

Ron Evans
Old June 4th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #83
Inner Circle

If previously it only took 1-2 turns, then the firmware "goofed" it up, it's quite possible that it was an unexpected side effect of something else they "tweaked". Report it as a "bug", and hopefully they can fix it in the next release? At least you've narrowed it to firmware, so it in theory SHOULD be fixable?

Sony does respond to user feedback, usually slowly, but I can't imagine someone asking for 7 turns of range to adjust and fine tune focus!? Manual focus is always sort of a tricky thing to "nail", but too little adjustment/rotation would as you've noted, create another set of "issues"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #84
Major Player

Just got myself an AX53, has the same problem with the focus. Still love the camera. Has anyone tried attaching the xlr block from a HVR-A1E. Trying to find a cheap way of using xlr phantom powered mics.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 03:00 AM   #85
Trustee

The X70 has had that same focus "issue" since it was released.........that, and the need for an iris ring, were the main reasons I upgraded to the Z150.

The "in the field OMG need the shot now" work-around is to ZOOM OUT SOME OR FULL WIDE, SNAP FOCUS NEAR OR FAR, THEN ZOOM BACK IN. I have gotten used to that procedure, it faster than spinning the focus ring 20,000 1/4 cranks!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #86
New Boot

Hi all,
I hope this is the right thread, I’m evaluating to step to 4K and am interested in the AX53, since I own a Sony HDR-CX730E and I really love the great effectiveness of the balanced optical stabilizer, so I want to have that feature again. So I have a couple of questions to expert users.
First, I am concerned by the limitation to 25p (Europe market): presently I shoot at 50p in HD and if I try to shoot at 25p, I get an unpleasant jerky effect during camera pans. I think I cannot mitigate that by locking the shutter speed to 1/50th because I normally use the camera in very bright light, during my walks in the mountains. Do you think it will be the same when shooting in 4K, considering that my final output is on Bluray and DVD (downsized), both at 50i, but I would keep the 4K master for future watching on a 4K TV set ?
Since I use to shoot still pictures too, I would like to avoid to carry a still camera in addition to the camcorder: my CX730 has a barely acceptable quality, but not equal to a still camera and only when in PHOTO mode, so I wonder if the AX53 would be better on that, when shooting in Dual Mode in order to get still pictures at 4K resolution; another chance is to capture single frames from the video, again at 4K resolution. Has anyone experience with the still picture quality with the AX53?
Thank you
Marco Durando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #87
Inner Circle

I have the AX53 and just shoot XAVC-S 60P as I do not like slow frame rates. Still frame grabs from the video are not bad to my eyes. Definitely not as good as a still camera but the still taken from it are pretty good I think. I like the 20x zoom and image stabilizer, XAVC-S with timecode and data code when compared to my NX30U ( similar to your CX730 ). I just consider it an upgrade from my NX30U and in that way it is very good. If you want smooth UHD motion you will need to look at a much more expensive camera. FDR-AX1, PXW-Z100, HC-X1000, DVX200 or soon to be available AG-UX180. Or even more expensive !!!

Ron Evans
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #88
Major Player

I have the Pal version of the camera and love it, as a handheld camera. Yes there are a few things Sony has restricted. That said the 4k converted down to HD is really sharp. I'm sure you have seen a few YouTube reviews.

Do you want me to film any test shots for you or setting. I'm in the process of building a new website about filming my own work with the Sony AX53 and the challenges of not having full manual control. I'm use to more highend cameras, so I've set myself personal challenge to make a film with this camera to the highest standard possible.

The website will have a number of test shoots on it and I have to film a number of night street shots when the weather is better to see how the camera performs in low light.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:10 AM   #89
New Boot

Thank you for your replies. As soon as I can I will make some more tests to investigate and possibly understand if 25p is really an issue for me.
@Ron: when you say you film in 60p, I suppose it's at HD resolution, as the AX53 does not allow this in 4k, correct?
Marco Durando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #90
Inner Circle

Yes I only use AX53 as a HD camera I use my FDR-AX1 for UHD 60P. I also have an AX100 that I also only use at HD I really do not like the judder of 30P.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds