XDCAM HD disk robustness - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 12th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Mike, there must be something going on with the cameras that you use for you to have this issue across your whole staff...
Are you reading the same thread I'm reading?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've shot hundreds of disks, often doing demos where the disks are going in and out of the camera all day and I have NEVER had a disk come out with the shutters open.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
1. You've had a dodgy batch of discs.
2. The discs are getting seriously mistreated (how did finger prints get on the disc surface anyway?)
I was guessing #1, which is why I originally asked which brand of discs were in use.

As to fingerprints, that's easy. If the disc does eject with the doors open, your fingers are going to lay right on the exposed disc as you grab it to remove it from the camera.

@Mike,

We're just trying to solve an issue here. This shouldn't be happening at all. Period. The vast majority of folks in this forum are owners of their cameras, not part of a tv station crew. One of the hallmarks of fortitude with the disc media is the protective shell around the disc. Coming out with the doors open compromises that integrity as you have learned first hand. Since the discs are re-usable, you'll continue having this problem if it is indeed a batch of improperly manufactured discs.

I think Sony would definitely want to know of incidents like this. They have worked very closely with independents like myself, Simon, and Alister. I had an issue with my camera last summer and they were all over it, due to concerns it might be a design issue, rather than an isolated incident.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Great video Alister, Now I think we need to know which brand of dishwashing detergent is best for cleaning fingerprints off disks. :-)

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #20
Major Player

HI Alister,

I was hired to work for sony germany and present SONY VEGAS PRO in conjunction with XDCAM HD and EXCAM EX1 editing while there actual roadshow.

At the first venue (out of 5) I found that your dishwasher video runs on a laptop on the XDCAM HD booth - and people love it!
(despite the fact that XDCAM HD is really THAT robust of course).

Next week (berlin) IŽll make a pic.

BR

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts