MRC1K & Sony Battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old March 25th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Major Player

MRC1K & Sony Battery

I probably need to buy another battery but how long with the standard Sony NP-F550 (NPF550) last?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 570 is the current small model, and according to the manual it should give you about 6-7 hours and, according to the specs, "features 30% more stamina than the NP-F550 rechargeable battery pack."
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Adam that should be more than enough for day/half day of filming. I will buy another battery when I get my MRC1K but will only need it as a spare unit.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What cam are you using? If you snap the MRC onto the back of a Z5 or Z7 it uses the cam's power supply.

With a new MRC I would certainly use a new battery. I always replace all my batts after three years anyhow.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Z1 and my batteries are fine.
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #6
Trustee

David, although Adam correctly quotes the specs I guess you, like me, are interested in the real world performance - especially as the unit is especially fiddly to turn on and off - plus if you're not using tape simultaneously, the chore of starting and stopping the MRC.

Based on the spec I purchased a couple of 570s but frankly the quoted 6-7 hours isn't realistic. I've gone back to strapping a 970 to the Z1 and the MRC.

Depending how and where you m9ount your MRC it isn't too bad - we've made brackets (like the Sony £100 jobs but at a fraction of the price) - for all three of ours which sling the MRC to the side of the rear of the Z1. In that position the 970 moves the CofG back a little but not disastrously. This positioning also places the MRC almost diametrically opposite the cradle for our radio mic receivers which hangs beside the lens on the opposite side of the camera. If you prefer the MRC behind the battery down the centreline the balance effect will be much more significant.

Incidentally the most difficult part of making the brackets (we have three cameras/MRCs) was sourcing 5/8inch long 1/4 BSW bolts to pass through the camera plate and the MRC support plate. You also have to do a bit of engineering on the shank to make them fit the undersize channel of the plates.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Philip,

I have ordered another 970 just in case either the camera/MRC1K runs out of juice. The 970 really puts the camera top heavy but I guess with another 970 on the Z1 it should level out the weight balance and just be heavier overall.

I’m off to a WRC Motorsport event so there will be little chance of charging being so remote for most of the day.

Picked the 970 up for £90 via Amazon.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Having two small 570 batteries works best for me. The weight is the issue for me when I mount the MRC1K to the shoe on my FX1000. When I go hand held the camera get very nose heavy if I attach the 970 bat. I love the stamina of the 970 but it's over kill for me when used on the MRC1K.
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm so glad I went with the 970 as when I was out on a Rally stage there isnt any chance of charging for the entire day!
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Talking about batteries, I have to say that in December 2010, I ordered a 970 from amazon/peridigm store thinking that will be original, not counterfeit, and the price was almost the same as from amazon. The thing is that I received a counterfeit one. I am very disappointed from that store. Lesson learn. From where do you buy your 970 batteries? Do you use original ones or replacements?
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #11
Trustee

Alin, check with Amazon. My experience is that they're very protective of their reputation.

However, the way we're sure we're getting genuine gear is to deal with a Sony dealer - ours sells two brands of 970 in addition to Sony's at competitive prices.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I've started a disscution with the Amazon support and I'm waiting to see the conclusions:). I' keep you up to date.
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Major Player

amazon

I bought a one for $22 plus 2 day shipping from Amazon. Problem was it took 5 days. Not acceptable Amazon when I pay for 2 day shipping.

Not an actual Sony battery and I have had good experience with clones.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Guys, how long an original Sony NPF-970 last? Is it true that holds up for 8 hours(including zooming operation). I'm interested mainly used with a Z7 and MRC1. Currently I have only clones and their life is about 3 hours.
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alin Avramoni View Post
Guys, how long an original Sony NPF-970 last? Is it true that holds up for 8 hours(including zooming operation). I'm interested mainly used with a Z7 and MRC1. Currently I have only clones and their life is about 3 hours.
Yeah my original Sony batteries last ages in the MRC1K but I have a Z1 so I use 2 NFP-970 batteries
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders