Help! Lousy color rendering, especially red tones -anyone else than me? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #46
Trustee

I am not happy about it. I am going to try and talk to Sony about it, tell them it is not a repair, but something that should have been done already. I might just take it back to Circuit City and see what they say...
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #47
Regular Crew

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h/DSC00155.jpg

My HC1 does very well with reds. Video or jpg.

Jamie
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #48
Trustee

I am not sure which batch of HC1's you have, but mine is more magenta then red when I see 'red' coloured objects, like explained in this thread. That looks great though! Are you capturing using anything? HD connect? Vegas? PPro?
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #49
Regular Crew

This was actually taken in memory mode (jpg), but is reflective of the video mode as well. This was taken in March right after I got the camera, in full auto.

I keep hearing about people having problems with reds, and just wanted to say mine does well. Plugging the picture in was an after thought.

I thought about throwing a frame grab in from Vegas, but then you can get into...is it real... or retouched. As stated, mine does very well. My wife even says so, and she's the color expert. If her red dress don't look red, she'd let me know, and wonder why I spent all this money :^)

Jamie
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Hi,

Be happy if your HC1 has good reds out of the box. Most of the HC1's have (or should I say had). However, there are (or was) some (early) units (I have now seen 3 of them - out of one was mine) that had really lousy lilac reds. A red ferrary did not look red at all. Light-skinned people in dark indoor light looked as they just had come out from a sauna... The Sony salesman in one of the Sony shops could not believe his eyes when we compared their demo HC1 and my HC1 with other 1000€ cheaper Sony camcorders.

I have seen the HC1 service manual. There is a myriad of adjustments that can be adjusted for good color balance, that are performed using proper equipment and a service controller. I got mine fixed at the Sony service in Paris (shipped from Helsinki, back and forth, on Sonys cost), now the HC1 is totally OK.

I don't know what went wrong originally at Sony, but some units had this problem from the beginning. For fixing such a shortcoming you should not pay anything since it has been there from day one in your HC1. Keep on to your rights.

Christian
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #51
Trustee

Has anyone had any luck USA-wise on getting Sony to update the Firmware for free? I don't want to pay the $260.00 for a firmware update if I can help it, but it does seem to help the RED on the camera.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #52
Trustee

Well, I just got off the phone with Sony. They are refusing to admit there is a firmware upgrade or that anything is wrong with the camera. I have a suggestion :
Anyone that has this problem with the HC1, phone into Sony :

1-800-222-7669 (toll free)

Ask for Tech support and tell them the problem. If enough people do this, we might make Sony wake up and smell the coffee. I was told I could send my camera back in for repair to the "red" problem ,but it would cost me $250.00. I told them, this is something that should have been fixed right out of the factory, but they won't budge because they think it is an isolated incident.
Well, that is my two cents. I would like to get a dozen or so phone calls to Sony to make them change their tune on this.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #53

Given that it's been nearly a year since this camcorder was discontinued, there is little point in continuing this particular discussion.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series