25p flaw of the V1 E model is official? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old December 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Tony, please upadte us when you have your machine back. I really don't know whether I should give my V1E to the courier if he arrives tomorrow...
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Piotr

You can rest assured as soon as I have information from Sony and/or my camera back I will update you all on the upgrade. I promise.

This is an extremely concerning issue that we face and I welcome the support of other people out there who are also going through the unnecessary aggravation that we currently engaged in.

Happy New Year.

TT
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Yes it was Tony. (see above)

A Sony friendly website, with reviews and professional view. I think it is information, now I receive emails from people who want to know...
But I like to work within guidelines, could not see what is wrong, and wait for an answer on this little thing.
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #34
New Boot

Updated review here!

edit: Sorry! Link removed by myself!

Last edited by Santi de la Fuente; December 26th, 2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old December 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #35

You're invited to read the policy for the website.
Linking to a discussion thread is not the same as linking to a review or published commentary. Additionally, it is against the site rules to copy/paste posts from other communities. It is a violation of copyright law to do so.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #36
Major Player

Ok, so we have now ants replacing impressionist painting. Fantastic. I will trade my cam in for a Canon. Hope still can get my money back from the shop.
This is madness.
Old December 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #37

The madness is in owning a camcorder and rather than testing/learning/experimenting yourself, one trusts the writings of someone else, and in this case, someone who wrote a very flawed article in the first place.
It would take you five minutes or less to test either of these two phenomena, with your own eyes, your own scenes, and your own gear.

No camcorder is without it's flaws. Not suggesting this one has flaws or not. But spend a little time in the Canon, JVC, Panny forums. They all have something that is less than perfect; it might be that whatever small flaws those camcorders have is eggregious to you. For example, as much as I like the HV10/A1, they cannot be used for Xtreme Sports photography of any kind.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Zsolt,

Have you already shipped yours for upgrading?
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The madness is in owning a camcorder and rather than testing/learning/experimenting yourself, one trusts the writings of someone else, and in this case, someone who wrote a very flawed article in the first place.
It would take you five minutes or less to test either of these two phenomena, with your own eyes, your own scenes, and your own gear.
DSE, I have the V1E from the first UK batch and it shows the oil paint effect. So far I had no chance to test the "marching ants" phenomenon, as my unit is yet to be updated by Sony, waiting for them to fix it after the holidays. Apparently the ants come after the oil painting, so I have to wait for them to test. I still find it hmm...strange that a fix brings you even worse situation.

In the meantime I have ordered a number of education materials on FCP and V1 (thx for the fast delivery btw) and went for shooting as much as I could in this gloomy winter days.
Despite the 10 dvd set on FCP it took me a day to hook up the V1 on my FCP, finally it works. If I had the chance to post attachments, I would share some clips.
I had to realize that regardless the larger LCD, focusing remained an issue - my ordered laser range finder is on the way. Big LCD is one of the advantages V1 had against Canon - it does not really solve the problem it was considered good for.
V1U is fine, so far no posts about flaws whatsoever - good for you guys in the US. But in Europe a final solution to the flaws seems unpredictable after some relief and Canon's "pseudo" progressive is commented by many as very good. Thats why I am having a head ache now.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Ok, so we have now ants replacing impressionist painting. Fantastic. I will trade my cam in for a Canon. Hope still can get my money back from the shop.
This is madness.
Zsolt I share your concern as well but this is just one report and to be fair the reviewer of that article missed the 25P issues. He back tracks in the first update to the article. He says the progressive looked a little soft! Well, we all know progressive doesn't look a little soft, it looks a lot like crap! How that could be missed should give enough cause for concern over the crawling ants assertions. Crawling ants i.e. over generous edge enhancement can be the cause of that and that does not necessarily mean it was the camera doing it either. Viewing on a consumer grade HDTV is NOT the best way to monitor an image. We don't even know if the camera was plugged in via HDMI or component or whatever. Some component inputs crank up the edge enhancement like crazy. Those crawling ants might be a reflection of the HDTV's handling of 25P rather than the camera.

Let us just wait until we get our cameras back and go from there.

Let's remember is HAS to be more of a complex task to record 24P in a 60i stream than 25P from 50i. If they can do 24P and 30P then 25P should not be beyond the wit of man.

ATB
TT
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #41

Quote:
I had to realize that regardless the larger LCD, focusing remained an issue - my ordered laser range finder is on the way. Big LCD is one of the advantages V1 had against Canon - it does not really solve the problem it was considered good for.
V1U is fine, so far no posts about flaws whatsoever - good for you guys in the US. But in Europe a final solution to the flaws seems unpredictable after some relief and Canon's "pseudo" progressive is commented by many as very good. Thats why I am having a head ache now.
Bear in mind that the "fix" is written about by someone who originally wrote several features that were untrue...so that bears a little weight, IMO.
I'm chuckling at your focus comments; so few people realize that HD is much more sensitive to focus. Use the Peak indicator for focusing, and once you learn how to use it, you'll do alright.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Zsolt,

Have you already shipped yours for upgrading?
No Piotr, like I said in another thread I will wait until January, there are a couple of things I want to shoot during the holiday season, even in interlaced.

It means you will see the ants first, so please let me know once you find them. For some tripod matters I have been in touch with Nigel lately, surely I can ask him about the conditions which would reveal the ants - although he has described the situation pretty clearly in the article.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tremble

Let us just wait until we get our cameras back and go from there.
Yes Tony, this is what I will do, knowing that you and Piotr have already sent your units for a fix. Waiting for your comments once you receive your units back.
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Use the Peak indicator for focusing, and once you learn how to use it, you'll do alright.
I use it, thats how I know it is a funny little thing. Showing up sometimes from 10m to ∞ when the subject is around 30m, not easy to decide what is in focus. Maybe I need to learn about it more, unfortunately my available resources have only a little info on that.
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes Tony, this is what I will do, knowing that you and Piotr have already sent your units for a fix. Waiting for your comments once you receive your units back.
I haven't yet, Zsolt! And frankly, I am hesistant whether I should do at this moment...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7