SONY HDV HDR-FX1 will be out Oct. 15th - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 8th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #46
Wrangler

Apple will support HDV natively in FCP in the future releases and we are all looking forward to it.

It won't be for a while however. In the meantime, Lumiere HD will support HDV2 (1080i) from the new Sony cameras.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #47
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Steve,
You are correct the 1080i MPEG2TS editing will be a lot harder (require significantly more CPU) than the experience with editing MPEG data at 720p30 from the JVC camera. The Sony streams have 70% more image data at a higher bit-rate. If you are currently using a native MPEG editing for the JVC footage the editing performance will be approximately halved for the new Sony camera.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #48
Wrangler

Exciting times for HDV!

I think that the HDR-FX1 is an exciting product however, I am even more excited by the pro version and JVCs response which I wouldn't be surprised if it included 24p (a wild guess).

Besides the fact that the HD1 and the HD10U will most likely drop in price considerably.

Competition really benefits us, the consumers.

The only bad news is for Canon and its XL2...yesterdays technology. I suspect that DV cameras will dissapear from video store shelves by mid 2006.

There is no way around HD.
Frederic Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #49
Trustee

OK- so let's see if I've got this straight......Sony's new HDV cam will need MORE hard drive space (when compared to the JVC HD format) and require, at the least, a Mac G5 to edit smoothly.....and we can assume a perfomance hit (?) while using FCP HD which WILL be able to edit natively- but just not at this PRESENT moment? ...........thankfully, Lumiere HD WILL support the Sony at the current time.....which is great....

HD is here but I can't help but feel we're about to open up a new can of worms with HD and it's derivitives...........adios DV, welcome HDV!

The consumer pioneers of HDV are on these forums- I guess we're the "chosen" ones!

The relentless pursuit of image quality.........Let's the games begin.......
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #50
Trustee

Pinnacle's Liquid Edition 6 recommends dual 3.0 GHZ for 1080i HDV editing ;) (last page)

Brochure
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #51
Trustee

We are the chosen ones....I like that.

The other day I read something that had an interesting quote:

"Pioneers get an arrow in the back"

If that doesn't describe the HD10U experience...I'm not sure what else does?! However, we might have made it to the promise land after all. This new camera will at the VERY LEAST be able to shoot in low light conditions without the horrid grainy look of the HD10U. All I really care about is an "improvement" over the HD10U. It's already a superior camera regardless of how the picture looks. Just the fact that it's got manual controls, 3 chips and the other few enhancements tells me it's worth the investment to move up from my HD10U.

JVC wet our appetite's, but Sony will be feeding us the meal. :)

Murph
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #52
MPS Digital Studios

I'm hanging onto my HD10 for a while, mostly because I mistakeningly leased it (d'oh!), but at least I get extra tax write offs. <g>

But also because I want to see what comes out in the next year or two. My next feature film, 9:04 AM, is supposed to be shot, for now with the DVX100A. We may go with the XL-2, but if the 24p HDV or even the Sony HDV are good with minimal to no chroma noise, and transfers well to 35mm, we'll go with that instead.

heath
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #53
Major Player

The orientation via 1080i by Sony was to be expected. The strange thing about the interlace HD is that it was initially released because they where not able to do 24p without an interlaced signal (thus using less bandwidth) at the first years of HD but now they can and 1080i is much less used now, the progressive transport is more likely to be the way to shoot in the future.

Still, 1080i provides a good way to do 30p and more importantly 24p with half the bandwidth. It will definitely be interresting to see this baby perform on the field. Indie cinematography will benefit from this new camera for sure. As for 720p support, I doubt that Sony will support it even in the prosumer version, sony has oriented its HD products toward 1080 and this one will not be different. If 720p grows in popularity in the future they may, but it will probably mean a new camera and support (Sony has a history of creating new supports of their own for every new type of signal). Even for this camera they have announced new types of tapes in the press release...
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #54
Regular Crew

According to this press info the professional version will be a bit higher priced....
"Although not much information is available, it appears that Sony Broadcast is planning to introduce a higher-end version of the HDR-FX1. According to Sony consumer, that camcorder will be available in the 1st quarter of 2005 for under $7,000."
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #55
Barry Wan Kenobi

That pricing would be consistent with the PD150/DSR250 range... the PD150 was about $3400, and the DSR250 around $6500...

The main difference was that the DSR250 offered a real CRT viewfinder (as well as shoulder-mount, big tapes, etc)... if the new Sony pro version offered a real HD-caliber CRT viewfinder, that would be quite interesting indeed!
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Oh Joy!

Does anyone want to buy an HD10 for a reasonable price. This is my second one, and only has a couple of hours on it.
Bill Piedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Does anyone know how I can place an advance order? I just spoke with some people from B&H and they don't have a part number yet.

I just came into a little money. I'm more than happy to share my experiences with this camera with the everyone.

Let me know if there is a way that you know of that I can place an advance order for shipment on the day that it's releaseed.

Thanks in advance!
Bill Piedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #58
MPS Digital Studios

Bill,

You should use our private classifieds to sell your HD10. But I'd wait until we get closer to the date it comes out; then again, the price of the HD10 will no doubt drop.

heath
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #59
Trustee

Re: Exciting times for HDV!

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Haubrich : I am even more excited by the pro version and JVCs response which I wouldn't be surprised if it included 24p (a wild guess). -->>>

I'm very surprised by how many people ask for 24p.

I would rather expect a good camera to acquire *more* data per second, not *less*.

Say, 60p instead of 30p would be great.

You get more data - you can produce really sweet slo-mo effects etc.

You can always downconvert from 60p to 30p or 24p if you wish, in post.

But you cannot reliably get the missing frames out of the thin air if you have not acquired them in the cam in the first place. Thus starting with 24p is bad vs. 30p better and 60p best.

I'm not sure that Frederic (whom I respect very much) actually advocated 24p - it seems that he merely predicted that such mode may be included later on.

If true, seems like sad future - why step down in data acquisition AND impose yet more special requirements on editing?

If anything, I vote for 60p mode, NOT 24p.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #60
Major Player

though it would be veeeeery nice I doubt 60p is probable in a near future in HDV 1080, the data rate would be much too high. 60p is not even implemented in pro 1080! Actually, the pro JVC to come out in december (at the soonest) is supposed to implement 720/60p, I wonder if it will be HDV in that mode though 'caus 30p is already using all the data rate!
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1