SONY HDV HDR-FX1 will be out Oct. 15th - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #76
Major Player

Ignacio, you are right for 24p in HDV because it is a GOP compression but DV is a individual frame compression and so far, 24p is recorded in 60i with either standard or advanced pulldown so there is no gain in quality whatsoever.

Adam also has a point, 4:2:0 is a disastrous compression in an interlace signal because it is performed in a 2 pixel height by 2 pixel width scheme witch means that it compresses over two lines of different field but it is better than 4:1:1 in a progressive signal no doubt since it does not extend over 4 pixel long.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #77
Contributor

> Ignacio, you are right for 24p in HDV because it is a GOP
> compression but DV is a individual frame compression
> and so far, 24p is recorded in 60i with either standard
> or advanced pulldown so there is no gain in quality whatsoever.

Exactly, because there is no real 24p DV, so redundancy from the pulldown pattern kills any advantage that could be had from the more efficient use of bandwidth. But since HDV is not meant to be compatible with the analog SD world, it could perfectly be extended to real 24 fps, it would most likely be technically trivial for all subsequent HDV equipment to support 24, 25 and 30 fps.
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #78
Barry Wan Kenobi

Except that DV actually has two compression methods, depending on the amount of difference between fields. If it detects a substantial motion difference between fields, DV will compress the fields individually as part of the full frame. If it detects little motion difference between fields, DV will compress the full frame as a frame.

That means when you're compressing 24PA/2:3:3:2, you're actually compressing frames as frames, as efficiently as possible. DV is already optimized for excellent progressive-scan capture, even with 24P!

I have no idea if HDV provides a similar optimization.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #79
Major Player

Barry, I was not aware that DV compression performed as such... I doubt HDV will work that way since it is a GOP based compression, still there should be a gain in using 24p, even by pulldown since there will be less difference between frames and GOP compression takes advantage of that.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #80
Major Player

C'mon, guys I still trust Sony enough so that I'm sure the picture with this cam will KICK ASS, 24p or not. Just by specs alone, it will smoke the jvc, (3 chips vs 1, 25mgps vs 19mgps, better lens) and the jvc has a better picture than the dvx....

Of course the sound is crippled, but I guess 3k will fix that ;-).

The cameras you guys are talking about are coming, but at much higher price ranges. For 20k I'd still take an Aaton A-minima.

1080i deinterlaces really well. I've seen it in post.
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #81
Wrangler

Quote:
and the jvc has a better picture than the dvx....
I think you meant to say the JVC HDVs have higher resolution than the DVX100s?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #82
Major Player

"I think you meant to say the JVC HDVs have higher resolution than the DVX100s?"

Personally, I aver JVC has a much better picture, although the hard candy quality to the Sony's colors is adorable.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #83
Major Player

IBC

Didn't one of the web sites say this Sony camera would appear at the IBC in Amsterdam? Well, that started today (Sept. 9). Any word on its unveiling?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1