Sony Z1 and FX1 various questions 2004 - 2005 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #301
New Boot

Z1P Firewire problem?

I'm having a problem with my Sony Z1P. For some reason, Final Cut Pro won't recognize the device when it's attached with the normal firewire cable. At first, I thought it was this Mac (dual G5), but then took the camera to my PM's house to digitize, and had the same problem on his iMac G5.

Now I'm wondering -- could it be a problem with the Z1P's firewire port?

We've tried using two different Firewire cables (both of which worked before) on two different computers. The Z1P is set to HDV, and the Mac is looking for all the correct settings.

Any ideas? We've got a production that needs to get digitized and cut ASAP. Please help. Cheers.

OZ
Dave Ozra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #302
Wrangler

Sorry Dave, we don't allow cross-posting at DVinfo. Please see our policy here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/announcement.php?f=38&a=23

Please direct all replies to the following existing thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54682
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #303
Major Player

light for FX1

Hi
Doing a wedding 17/12/05 at 3pm should be leaving church around 3.45pm
and it will just be about dark, I wil be filming with the FX1 no hot shoe here
what light will i req

thanks
Ian
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #304
Major Player

I personally use a 3 light Lowell Kit for the intro, first dance, toast, garter & bouquet toss and cake. For the most of the rest of the night I use a difused 50w on camera light.
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:46 PM   #305
Regular Crew

Shooting Moon's face with Z1

I want to shoot the surface of the moon with my Z1. Do you suggest a tele conversion lens?
Peter Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:30 PM   #306
Major Player

If you plan on keeping an HD image I would personally recommend using a teleconverter (high grade)...I shot the moon with an HC1 (not the same camera I know, but it is in the same family). The moon looked great but was only taking up about 1/8 of the image. The Z1U has a little more zoom, but if you really wanna get a nice shot. Get a teleconverter...

On the otherhand...if you're going to output to SD, you could crop the image no problem at all
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #307
Inner Circle

FX1- New User Comments- Firewire port

I ve been shooting with VX 2000. I was reluctant to go to FX1 as second camera, but bit the bullet. So far happy with results, but I a learning a lot still.

One thing I can't figure is why the firewire port is located the way it is. Several of my firewires are stiff enough that in setting FX1 on flat surface, pressure can be put on the port with inadvertant moving around.

I seem to recall XL 1 had a port problem, and I am wondering if this configuration will be a problem with the FX1. I haven't seen any comment on that from anyone. Any body have a solution.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #308
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I ve been shooting with VX 2000. I was reluctant to go to FX1 as second camera, but bit the bullet. So far happy with results, but I a learning a lot still.

One thing I can't figure is why the firewire port is located the way it is. Several of my firewires are stiff enough that in setting FX1 on flat surface, pressure can be put on the port with inadvertant moving around.

I seem to recall XL 1 had a port problem, and I am wondering if this configuration will be a problem with the FX1. I haven't seen any comment on that from anyone. Any body have a solution.

Chris Barcellos
Yeah... Buy a tripod.

I always set mine up at transfer on my Miller DS10, so all cables are easily connected and accessible. I'd never consider sitting my camera on a flat surface while connected to any of it's I/O ports.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #309
Regular Crew

found some great optics/lenses for FX1/Z1 with footage to download

Hello

I found this site and thought someone might find it useful it has a lot of different lenses for the FX1/Z1 with video clips to download. I must say i like the MSN-200 super macro conversion lens would really like to see this on a small insect and see how well it picks up, any how take a look see what you think.

Thanks

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrfx1/
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #310
Regular Crew

Recording with a Histogram/Waveform

I wish to see a histogram (or waveform) when I record with my FX1. As you likely know the camera does not come with an exposure histogram. I can use a histogram during recording if running DV Rack on a laptop connected up as the cameras monitor but this is a heavy and awkward method. Does anyone know of a simpler way?
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #311
Wrangler

On the Mac BTV Pro will also give you this capability. Other than that, I'm not really sure what options you'd have...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #312
Major Player

night vision attachment for Z1u??

Any suggestions for night vision attachment for a Z1U? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #313
Major Player

found Z1 night vision

Electrophysics model 9350 astroscope. And from what I understand it should be available by Jan. 06. Not cheep but is rentable.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:49 AM   #314
Major Player

Internet TV show with Z1

Hey everyone,

I finally made a new episode of the internet TV show I produce about the local music scene. Ironically, this one is about us taking a road trip to a different city to check out their music scene. Ahh well.

I don't normally host so ignore the stupid things I say.

What are your thoughts on the intro? I made it this afternoon out of footage I shot at 5 a.m.. Any feedback would be great!

http://underthebridge.mumps.ca/

Thanks!

-mark
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM   #315
Major Player

Mark,

GOOD JOB!

I liked this episode! Espeically you in there petting the, ummm, cat! *smile* keep up the good work!

- ShannonRawls.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1