Moving the FX1/Z1U Viewfinder Front - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #16
Major Player

Chris - the one for the mavica looked toooo cool ! Wouldn't that look great on a z1 ? I wonder why sony isn't making one of these already. They're cheap but the problem is they're built for the small 4x3 2" lcds on digicams. Someone should contact one of these companys like hoodman and see what they need to make a model for the fx/z . Should be a nice sized market esp. at these price points. Also I wonder how big the mavica lcd is ? The unit itself is a fairly good size.
Now , I'm gonna go search for that old film loupe .
Mark - I hope you abandoned taking your viewfinder apart. See what you get here - free brainstorming - well, at least a brain sprinkle ! Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #17
Major Player

OK- it took me 30 minutes to find my old afga 8x loupe but when I did and looked thru it into the lcd , I knew we had a good idea. It focused about 1 1/2 " from the lcd - the front or top of the loupe to the lcd and the image was beautiful and large. So it wouldn't set back too much from the lcd. I also went to

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/default.htm

and they make something similar for smaller lcds on digicams already. It attaches in seconds so could be a useful assessory.

and I'll drop them an email and see if they're interested. There's got to be a market. This concept would virtually allow the fx/z to be shoulder shot like a film camera which was Marks' idea although his solution compared to this, was far more difficult, dangerous,etc.

Who's got some more ideas or can throw a wrench into the works ?
Kurth
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM   #18
Major Player

Here is an idea for you. I took an old Ikegami Viewfinder (sharp as a tack) and made up a cable to feed it video and 12 volts. I power it with Anton Bauer Trimpacs-- it is not the most beautiful thing I ever made, but works like a champ. The connector is an easy to source DB-9, not some crazy Sony multi-pin plug. You may want to call arounf broadcast supply houses and see if you can dig one up. I attached it to the light shoe.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #19
Tourist

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had thought about attaching a B&W CRT from the mid 1980s VHS cameras, (I have a bunch), but could not come up with the pin configuration. I blew up a couple trying to figure it out. The manufacturers were of no use. If anyone has the pin config on those 9-lead or 11-lead CRT monitors, please let me know. Of course needing to supply 12 volts is more weight, charging, and real-estate.

The reason that I'd rather have a far front mounted finder rather than view through the on-board LCD is that the camera would still be front heavy, but ...

... being unable to find a way to get the ribbon cable made inexpensively, I am going to design an LCD snap-on finder based on re-working and enlarging the SONY Mavica finder for their still cameras. Doesn't seem too hard. SONY would never manufacture such a thing for the FX1, as the whole idea of keeping the FXI/Z1U from being a shoulder-held camera is to prevent it from competing with shoulder-held ENG cameras that cost much more.

If the prototype works out, perhaps I'll market it. I would have them mass-produced in aluminum, anodyzed, and painted with a nice powdered look to match the camera. :-) If there were a market in the hundreds or more, the cost could probably be kept reasonable (though it certainly would be several times the $100 plastic Mavica finders). I don't know if there is the demand, but I'll report back on the prototype.

Mark
Mark Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #20
Major Player

Mark - why does everyone want to be a capitalist ? Remember it wasn't even your idea ,the mavica , it was Chris' . And I've already sent off an email to hoodman, who already markets similar products for less than $30 so if there's a market , then hopefully they'll fulfill it. Have fun , play around , see what you can come up with . But trying to bring something so simple to market when similar products are available for $30 is a waste of good energy. Kurth
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Big problem I can see with any home rig is to keep it light. I have been messing around a bit more with the Kowa Six ground glass viewer, but it is metal, and may add to much weight to be hanging off the LCD. I am going to take a ride to Home Depot to see if I can find something light weight to fashion a an attachment. The lens element is easily taken of the Kowa Six ground glass viewer, but mounting it will be something else. If I new anything about optics, I'd check around for other optical elements, but I don't even know what to call it.

By the way, another possibility is to cannabalize an old slide viewer. In fact, I might go by the local Ritz to see if there is a cheapy there for that purpose.
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Chris -...and since you support the camera on the opposite side , that acerbates the problem of weight distribution. I think it obiously has to be on a brace , number one , and two , very lightweight. i was really surprised I didn't get a email return from hoodman as their product is exactly what's required , only for a smaller lcd. Gotta be patient. The magnifier in your medium format is doing exactly what's required . I used a plastic 8x loupe and it worked great but needs a casing. I worked as a prototype engineer for the first half of my life so now I really prefer just to buy something. The real way is injection molding but that probably cost too much to make the mold. You could make a clay positive, take a fiberglass mold ( plaster of paris ) and then lay in the fiberglass by hand if you just wanted one or two. Me , I'll wait until it's done professionally.Kurth
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #23
Major Player

A great way to fabricate lightweight items is with black CorroPlast (sp) It is what they use for campaign signs and is the backbone of Kino-Flo lights. You may have to buy a 4X8' sheet, but this stuff will change your life. You can cut it on an angle and it takes well to a glue gun (my best to Martha Stewart). I never discourage experimenting, remember they all discounted that StediCam guy. Don't lose the faith!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1