Difference Recording to Tape and CF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #1
New Boot

Difference Recording to Tape and CF

made a test today.. recorded HDV footage simultaneous to tape and compact flash unit.

putting the same footage in one timeline results in different lenght of the clips
the compact flash unit stores about 1 second less than the tape shows.

it's not the problem to have 1 second less on card, but that means, that it's not possible to restore a project, which was captured from card when capturing it by tape later.. so all the importet CF footage has to be stored on harddisk to be shure to edit it in the future.

no more restoring with project files possible...

has anyone else tested that?

regards,
clemens fischer
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

How long was the clip? Was the missing second at the begging or end of the clip or did it have drop outs throughout?

kdbf
Keith Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Major Player

I have noticed that the video recording on the CF card starts more quickly than it does on the tape. I have also noticed that the red light on the CF unit is still blinking after the tape transport has stopped.

I believe that this is probably why the recommended Sony CF cards are so much faster than the minimum spec speed of 133x.

I don't know that there is any way that this could really be designed better though. I certainly don't want the record to CF delayed to match what is going to tape.

As a documentary guy, I am not so much worried about a perfect match for the CF and tape recorded clips timing wise. I just sleep better knowing that in the worst case scenario (which does happen every so often) I have a backup to that interview that was so incredibly hard to arrange!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
I have noticed that the video recording on the CF card starts more quickly than it does on the tape.
are you sure? in all my tests there was more footage on tape than on CF. and i tested it with sony and sandisk cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
I don't know that there is any way that this could really be designed better though. I certainly don't want the record to CF delayed to match what is going to tape.
yes.. it's a great thing. but as i wrote.. if you have to cleanup your harddisk, it's not possible to reactivate a finished project.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

To clarify: Do you mean that the footage recorded to card has a different timecode to that recorded to tape?
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

HDV is not frame accurate anyway, so you cannot really do a restore from tape as what you recapture is likely to be off by several frames. The best backup is to always have your project files backed up on a 2nd or 3rd hard drive
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #7
Trustee

1: I suspect that the extra 1 sec on the tape is to allow the tape to run up to speed.

2: The CF will continue to flash after recording stops because it will still be dumping data from the memory buffer to the card.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paterson View Post
To clarify: Do you mean that the footage recorded to card has a different timecode to that recorded to tape?
A same shot has'nt got the same TC on tape and on the CF, using Sandisk X133 16Go, for example.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270