Power supply failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 26th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Power supply failure

Thought you Z7 users may want to know about a problem i just had with one of my Z7s. A failure occured with the power supply circuitry. What was happening was the camera would power up, run briefely then go dead. I'd sit the camera down and it would power up again by itself and run for a time then shut down. I'd pick the camera up and it would power up again and shut down.
I took it to a Sony repairer who said it was a circuitry failure. I recieved a rude shock when I was told that the power circuitry is on the same board as some of the cameras other circuitry and this complete board had to be replaced, $900 AUD + labour (ouch!).
Don't know what caused the problem unfortunately but the camera is running beautifully again now.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Jon Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Does the power supply/charger charge battery at all? If it still charge battery, could be a loose connection wire from charger to the camcorder.

Jun
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jun,

My batteries charged fine and the charger works perfectly. I tried quite a few batteries initially thinking it was a battery failure but the problem ended up being with the circuitry taking the power from the battery.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jon, If it is still charging you should not have it for service, you can always use battery when capturing. $900 plus labor is too expensive. Or you should have just ordered a new one at B&H for only $93.95 here.

AC-VQ1050

Jun
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi Jun,

The problem was not the battery but the circuitry that takes the power from the battery into the camera. I wish it had only been a battery problem.
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Major Player

That is a very rare problem happening, are you using a third party battery?

Jun
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:30 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Jun,

I'm using Sony original batteries. The camera is working fine now with the same batteries.
Jon Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270