NX5U on the way! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old January 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Major Player

NX5U on the way!

After a few weeks of debating and coming really close to ordering a Panasonic HMC150, I was able to stretch the budget and I just placed an order for an NX5U!

I'm pretty excited! Can't wait to try it out! I'm coming from a Sony PD-170, so hopefully things are somewhat similar.

Any tips or tricks I should know about settings when I get it?
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Like you...my cameras are arriving shortly and I have been going through these threads finding bits of information I neeed to know to optimize them...I'm surpised that I have found only a little information on picture profiles given the vast amount of tweeking available...bummer...but I have stumbled on a few gems that will be good to know...like this one: (looks for Tom's suggestion with AF Assist)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...d-peaking.html
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I know the feeling. I got mine in late October 2010 and am still learning. For what it's worth, heres my settings (they're still evolving):
GAIN
L: -6
M: 0
H: 6
Speed Zoom: Off
Smooth Gain: Middle
AGC Limit: 9dB
Minus AGC: On
ATW Sens: Intelligent
Smooth WB: Middle
AE Response: Fast
Auto Iris Limit: F8
Flicker Reduce: On
Audio Format: Linear PCM
Auto Limit: On
Picture Profile 1 (primary):
GAMMA = x.v.
COLOR LEVEL = 6
DETAIL = 2
Picture Profile 2:
GAMMA = x.v.
COLOR LEVEL = 8
DETAIL = 2

I'm using Transcend 32GB SDHC Card (Class 10) cards. Sony says class 4 will do, but B&H has great pricing on the class 10 cards.

I use a Rode NTG-2 shootgun mic as primary and the Sony EMC-XM1 as backup.

I just ordered a VSB1 Video Camera Shoulder Brace (on sale now for $149.95). It arrives Friday.
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I remember some time ago on one of my other videogrpaher forums I frequent that many who got the Canon XHA1 when it first came out were unimpressed with the out of the box look of the video. However, once everyone started sharing how they tweaked the picture, the camera comes alive...given the depth of picture adjustment with the NX5, I wonder if the same is true....
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Here is another I just found....

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...ing-macro.html
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Go Cycle

"GAMMA = x.v."

Are you using a HDTV that will display this setting above?

That is what that setting is made for in the PROFILES. I also like to use +4 for the color depth. I use Cinemamode for outside shots with -6db for bright days-less, if any, grain.
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Major Player

I have a Samsung (don't remember model number) that supports the x.v gama (under a different name, again I don't remember that either) ... What was I saying?.

If the target displays the extra color, great, otherwise, nothing lost.

Most of my work is targeted at Blu-ray or computer output, so the extra color is not lost. The only down side is I have to use 32-bit floating pint (full range) pixel format which take longer to render (in Sony Vegas Pro 10).
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Just got my camera this morning! And all these settings are a little much for me to wrap my head around!!

One quick question I have is, what steadyshot selection should I use as my defaults? Standard or Active? And what is the difference?

Thanks
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Major Player

active looks/performs very well for handheld test footage I've shot so far...really nice results even when I intentionally shake the cam...
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Active may seem like a miracle cure for the shakes but it comes at a price. You lose resolution and wide-angle coverage, though you gain some tele (you need more?)

This may well be a price worth paying, especially if you're down-converting to SD. It's a neater solution than using something like Mercalli I find.

What's the difference? Standard SS is not as powerful as Active, but the latter allows the internal vibrating elements to move further from their optical axis. If the camera didn't crop the image you'd see it vignette the corners when you moved the camera.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Major Player

I see it usefull in doing cake cutting shots (and other similiar type of procesess) where I don't always have the luxury of getting too close nor do I have much room with family/firends all gathered around...can do a slight zoom and keep the footage fairly smooth... most of the time I don't seen a big need for it as why I assigned it to one of the assign buttons...
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Go Cycle

Correct. There is a 5% loss of resolution according to a SONY REP on a training or sales internet video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Active may seem like a miracle cure for the shakes but it comes at a price. You lose resolution and wide-angle coverage, though you gain some tele (you need more?)

This may well be a price worth paying, especially if you're down-converting to SD. It's a neater solution than using something like Mercalli I find.

What's the difference? Standard SS is not as powerful as Active, but the latter allows the internal vibrating elements to move further from their optical axis. If the camera didn't crop the image you'd see it vignette the corners when you moved the camera.

tom.
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the ino Lou...all the more reason to have it assigned a button - turn it on only when the benifits outweigh the negatives :-)
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Major Player

I was debating between the XF100 and the NX5. Well, yesterday morning I pulled the trigger and got a Sony NX5 from B&H. I had it over nighted and it arrived about an hour ago. It's at home, and I'm at work... looking forward to unboxing it in just a few hours!

What sold me on the NX5 vs the XF100 was the 20x optical zoom range.3 sensors, and the ability to instantly record a backup to the FMU (which I also got... along with the Sony 20W light, 2 extra batteries, and 2 32GB SD cards). Also, the pro jackpack may be useful one day.

I know a more apples to apples comp would be the XF105 to the NX5 in terms of the jack pack, since they are at the same price point... but I don't NEED the jackpack since I mostly do weddings, dance recitals, and the like.

I was hesitant to even get the Sony because NAB is just a couple months away and who knows what new stuff Sony will show, but I've got a wedding the first week of March and wanted to go ahead and get something I could play with before hand. A friend of mine is helping me out (owes me a favor) by coming to the wedding with his 2 Canon XHA1s. I'll probably get one in the coming weeks and see how closely I can match the colors.

Anyways, I'm coming from a Canon GL1 and XL1S, so this is a major camera upgrade for me. It almost felt "wrong" getting a Sony when I've had Canon gear for so long... but the Sony NX5 currently met my needs the best.

I've got a busy weekend ahead of me.
Old January 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Jack Pack

What is the Jackpack?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders