Top mounted Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Top mounted Viewfinder

I was looking at this camera for weddings but after watching a review, the fact that you can't see it when the camera is up high is a pretty big drawback. In weddings for the ceremony and especially at the reception you need the camera up high to get over people's heads. Theater work too the camera needs to be up high, this isn't as big of an issue because your in a fixed position on a tripod and could set up a monitor in a lower position. Even for ENG interviews I'd think this could be an issue. If you attach this camera to a shoulder support rig I can't see how the viewfinder is going to be of any use. With a standard camera with bigger dof gives you more latitude shooting blind.

Anyone use this camera for run and gun? Thoughts on top mounted viewfinder? The low light sensitivity, image quality, slo-mo, and dof control abilities are appealing for weddings but the viewfinder location is big road block to me.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; May 13th, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Top mounted Viewfinder

Two options:

1) If in R&G hand-held mode, hold the camera by its top handle *upside down* - a bit like holding a hair dryer. Some great shots to be had that way, though yes you do have to rotate the final image by 180 degrees in post.

2) EVF on a Noga or similar jointed arm - I have a Zacuto EVF which either 'hangs off the back' in R&G mode (see image), or droops down to the side on a high tripod if doing conference records (i.e. long periods of filming stuff that doesn't move much).

I've stopped using the 'chimney' hood altogether. The FS camera body has to be seen as a lego brick, the basic first unit in a system you'd build up per job. Which is my weasel way of saying that an EVF is, IMHO, a sort of essential accessory, and cheaper than physiotherapy on cricked necks.
Attached Thumbnails
Top mounted Viewfinder-evf-fs100.jpg  
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Matt thx for those ideas. The more I think about the ergonomic the less I could imagine myself hand holding this camera steady for extended periods of time. I've seen some nice wedding work with this camera so people must be able to work around this issue. I never gave thought to the location of view finders/lcd flip out screens until now. Strange they've designed it like a old medium format camera you hold down at your chest. Great for filming someone's belly button but not their face. lol
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Major Player

I think it works well handheld, purely because it's so light and the stabilisation on the kit lenses is so good.

I've been using it on a variety of old school shoulder rigs.
By that I mean a DVTEC MultiRig, DVTEC DVRig Pro, and an 'el cheapo' as it was dubbed by Phil Bloom.
Using it at nose height means you can just about see over the back of the unit to the screen.

The nice thing about the DVTEC stuff is that for high shots you can lock the lower half of the spring support rod into the highest position. Then let the rod take all the weight with a little bit of bounce still left in the second stage spring.

I'd be getting an EVF at some point, probably the SmallHD as I prefer the larger screen to double as monitor whilst on a jib.

I've just done a great run and gun job following a cross country charity bike ride for a large hotel chain.
It was my first job with the FS100, so I've blown a lot of highlights, but it's just one of those things I guess.

When it's gone 'viral' I'll post a link for the hell of it.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
Two options:

1) If in R&G hand-held mode, hold the camera by its top handle *upside down* - a bit like holding a hair dryer. Some great shots to be had that way, though yes you do have to rotate the final image by 180 degrees in post..
Matt,

That is a great idea, thank you.

Pete,
I use this camera for weddings and love it. I have used it with the DVrig junior but have lately been using a mono pod solely. I know I need an EVF but I have to save up for one first. I bought the Letus cage for my FS-100 to fix my biggist problem for wedding work, it was where to put the two wireless and light on the camera.It made it heaver so that is why I went with the mono pod. I can use it hand held when it is stripped down like hasselblad cmera, but my back will start killing me for any long period.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Here you go:

My DP4&EVF might arrive tomorrow...

Cheers.
Old May 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
If in R&G hand-held mode, hold the camera by its top handle *upside down* - a bit like holding a hair dryer. Some great shots to be had that way, though yes you do have to rotate the final image by 180 degrees in post.
I hadn't thought of that - its F-in' brilliant! Thanks! That'll work great in a pinch. I've been using my video monopod for high shots, but I don't always have it with me and I can't see the LCD so its kind of a crap shoot as to whether or not I'm getting anything. I'm sure the results are much better this way.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Trustee

Great job, Duncan. Really liked your editing work too.
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks. Just for the record the opening minute or so is intentionally blued a little as it's early morning.
And of course the ever changing weather shifted the colours all over the place.

Duncan.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta