Just update my fs100 firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Just update my fs100 firmware

Just downloaded and updated the firmware of my fs100. Played around a little with it. The 4x and 8x expanded focus is pretty neat. I was however disappointed in how they implemented the world frame rates feature. You have to select 50i or 60i, The camera will reset, and you get the frame rates that correspond with your choice. I was hoping they would be implemented together, so you could choose 50fps,in S&Q, and get almost half speed slow mo. If you have video shot in the 60i mode, and you switch to 50i mode, it won't let you record without reformatting the fmu or sd card. So that was a little disappointing to me.

I found the link for the download on the fs100 Vimeo user group forum.

http://nexfs100.info/SS03QJ_1.zip
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Just update my fs100 firmware

Playing around a bit. The gain/ISO selectable is pretty cool. Although I'm use to using the gain, I'll probably leave it as is.

Still no ability to name the picture profiles. Haven't tried loading any yet. But think I've noticed the update has reset all my saved profiles, so have to load them again. Guess it will be a good time to see if anyone has saved them for download.

I guess I had downloaded the update meant for European cameras, but it works just fine on mine, and it defaulted to 60i version, after it reset.

I read on another forum, someone had problems with their Metabones adapter. It was unresponsive with the new update. While I put my Metabones adapter on, with my Canon 17-55, I didn't try adjusting the iris. So after ready about his issues, I pulled my camera out. At first my adapter was unresponsive, but after fiddling with the auto iris button, and something else, it worked as it always had.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

FYI: Canadians...and others
I just spoke wit Francois Gauthier of Sony Canada, he said they are working on getting the firmware up on the Canadian site and hope to have it there asap maybe today. I asked about downloading the firmware from Europe and loading it into my camera, he said definitely NOT that the model was different and it would not work as designed. He said that I could dl the American firmware, it was the same as the version that Canada would get and that: "it would not void my warranty." I told him I would quote him and he was good with that. He mentioned that I would have to register to use the American site.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, I didn't realize until last night that what I had downloaded was the EU version. Someone confirmed on the forum, that the download file was the same. I may try and redue my update, using the American version, later this weekend. I have experienced no problems with my update.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Just passing on what I was told. I just did the update with the USA version and all went well. Now to try it out!
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Major Player

No word on Sony's european website about this firmware update. Received an e-mail 'brochure' yesterday from Sony Professional with for example an item about 'Firmware and software updates' and a link to all the recent updates. This one is not on the list. Is it officially released already?
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees van Kempen View Post
No word on Sony's european website about this firmware update. Received an e-mail 'brochure' yesterday from Sony Professional with for example an item about 'Firmware and software updates' and a link to all the recent updates. This one is not on the list. Is it officially released already?
here you go
Sony Support Centre

Samer
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Major Player

How about this site?
Sony | Micro Site NXCAM & AVCHD

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks guys.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

So, only today did I find some time to flash my FS100 with the V2 firmware - and I have noticed 2 things I haven't expected:

- my usage hours have been reset!
- I could swear that with V1, peaking was also functional in Expanded mode; now it isn't

Please confirm that I'm not hallucinating :)
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr
I just looked at mine and the usage hour is still same after v2.. didn't reset.
as for the peaking in expand mode does not function and i can't remember if it did in v1...i have to say that i have used it (the fs100) little too much to notice..:(
samer
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah... I really don't understand what were Sony thinking - the long awaited V2 firmware gives us save-able and load-able camera settings, but no individual naming of the configuration files! I would expect an update to this update soon, and it should make it possible to store camera settings and PPs in separate files with meaningful names, too....

Why separate? Well, when exchanging PPs with other users, I usually don't need to load their camera settings (like 50/60i, Gain units/switch settings, Shutter units/settings, etc) - just their PPs; for other scenarios (like multi-camera shoots) both PPs and camera settings should be loaded.
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #13
Major Player

Piotr,

You are not hallucinating. I just looked for you, I have peaking in expanded focus. Make me wounder do I really need version 2. What are the benefits again?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
You are not hallucinating. I just looked for you, I have peaking in expanded focus. Make me wonder do I really need version 2. What are the benefits again?
Thanks Dan for the confirmation.

Assuming that Sony will listen, and provide us with the next firmware soon enough (which would at least allow to save PPs under meaningful names) - I would wait if I were in your shoes :)

Piotr
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I bet peaking would have badly distracting in the higher mag settings, so they decided to drop for all.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta