Sony NEX-FS100 on the Glidecam HD-2000 - video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 14th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony NEX-FS100 on the Glidecam HD-2000 - video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
No problem! :)
With these settings the iris stayed around F10 and above.
With the "and above" part most of the time, I dare say, Derran :)

With an F2.8 lens, no ND, and the shutter speed fixed at 1/100th, I'd expect the FS100 to go as high as F22+ on AE... Which only helped you to keep virtually everything in focus.

But as I say - the material you posted is superb, and makes me lust for a similar rig...

Piotr
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wong View Post
Do you use Slow Motion mode to capture this video? it looks very smooth and slow
In another thread derran once explained that he shot interlaced, which makes a glidecam shoot much more smooth than when shooting progressive. I suppose that is the case in this video as well? If so, please be aware that you might not get the same 'smoothnes' when shooting progressive. Camera movement me be as smooth, but there will be more judder.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #18
Major Player

Derran, some time before you posted a similar thread, using the Merlin Steadicam. How do they compare when using the fs100?
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
With the "and above" part most of the time, I dare say, Derran :)
You might have a point there! ;)

Cees, you're right I shot this in 50i. I really don't like the 25p look when filming (with or without stabilizer and / or tripod) and my editing application can't handle 50p footage. So I choose 50i for the FS100.

The FS100 on the Merlin or on the Glidecam is a bit difficult to compare, like comparing apples and oranges. I really like both stabilizers and they both have their strong points. The Merlin is easier to hold thanks to the weight being right above your hand instead of holding it from the side like the Glidecam. But the Merlin is more sensitive to wind and touch, compared to the Glidecam. The Glidecam also feels much more solid and does a fantastic job in isolating the camera from your body. The Merlin is more compact then the Glidecam and is easier to carry around, but t's more difficult to balance. In between shots it's easy to put the Glidecam on the ground to take a break, but the Merlin has a different shape that makes it difficult to put it down somewhere, unless you have their camera bag that holds the Merlin in folded position with camera mounted on top. But it's another item to carry around.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Derran, your experience with various stabilizers is invaluable :)

Now, please imagine your neck spine and right arm is much, much weaker than it really is - which one of the two would you pick? Please, also add a vest into the equation...

Thanks,

Piotr
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #21
Inner Circle

One more idea / question, related to camera stabilizer use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the most uncomfortable and difficult things about it framing. Using the camera's own LCD is most straightforward - but it has only one advantage: the rig doesn't take on the additional weight of a monitor, battery and cabling. Visibility in bright sunshine must be very poor, though...

On the other hand, putting an extra monitor on the stabilized rig is out of question - at least for me, due to the limitations mentioned above in this thread. So I've been wondering:

- how about some clever method of attaching an EVF like Zacuto to the operator's head, with the eyecup permanently against his eye?

Is something like that available out there in the market? Or is my idea impractical?

Piotr

Edit Just tried to mock up something around my Zacuto EVF, and it's definitely impractical - not with this size/weight of a viewfinder... But I'm sure some lightweight and flexible display will be around soon to make such a HUD possible...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 16th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Now, please imagine your neck spine and right arm is much, much weaker than it really is - which one of the two would you pick? Please, also add a vest into the equation...
Piotr, I'll try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge, but would also like to take another stabilizer into the equation: the Blackbird stabilizer. I received it last week for review purposes and will be testing it more thoroughly this coming week. From what I've seen so far it might be a good stabilizer for your specific needs. No matter which stabilizer you'll choose, it's best to keep the weight as low as possible and I would like to suggest to use the 16mm pancake lens only. You can always add the ultra wide converter later in time if you think the extra weight won't be a problem. Also use the lightest camera battery you can find for the FS100 and remove the side handle to keep the camera as light as possible.

One question, would you be able to try out a stabilizer at a local camera shop? This way you can feel for yourself whether it's not putting too much strain on your neck spine and arm. Perhaps it's best to consult a physical therapist or doctor before going this route?

The good thing with stabilizers is that you can use either arm to carry the weight. In your case you could use your left arm to hold the stabilizer and your right hand to control the camera. When using the Steadicam arm and vest you can also mount the arm on either side of the vest. But using an arm and vest system, especially in the beginning, will give muscle pain in your back, because you will have to use muscles you've never used before. Putting it on is also asking a lot of flexibility.

About the monitor question. I like your idea of using an EVF, but I think it's best to use both eyes when walking around with a stabilizer for seeing depth. I've always used the LCD screen of the FS100 and never had a problem with it. Having it on the back of the camera (instead of on the side) is also very convenient. Using a LCD hood might be a good idea to block some direct sunlight. I'm still searching for the right hood and I'm thinking about the Hoodman H400.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Derran,

Thank you so much for your elaborated answer - lots of good advise I'll definitely keep in mind while trying to choose a stabilizer. Of course - as they are not cheap devices, especially with vests - I'll arrange for a proper testing before paying for one...

Cheers,

Piotr
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Derran, or anyone using the 16mm pancake with converter:

- is it possible to use a 49mm filter between the pancake lens, and the converter?
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:17 PM   #25
Major Player

Unfortunately not, Piotr.
I have a ND filter for the 16mm, but when the ultra wide converter needs to be attached, you'll have to remove the filter first or the bayonet mechanism won't work.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta