Sony NEX-FS100 on the Glidecam HD-2000 - video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony NEX-FS100 on the Glidecam HD-2000 - video

For the last couple of days I've been test driving the Glidecam HD-2000 with the FS100 and made a short video with it at Clingendael Park which also has a Japanese Garden that is only open for 6 weeks a year. Lens I used was the 16mm f2.8 pancake with ultra wide converter.

First video is the making off and the second is the result:

Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony NEX-FS100 on the Glidecam HD-2000 - video

Thats awesome. Thank you for posting. I had been looking I to the Glidecam HD4000 for my FS100. Any reason that influenced you to get the HD2000? I guess my only reason for wanting the HD4000 was for if I load my Sony down, or use my Tokina 11-16.

I have never used a steady cam, but want one so bad. I had been looking at the vest with arm. How was it to walk around without the vest? Was it pretty fatiguing? I'm seeing a lot of people without the vest arm combo, and I'm just about convinced to get the steady cam rig without it.

Did you feel the monitor on the FS100 was enough? I have a Small HD DP6, and am wanting to mount on the steady cam rig as well. Curious how it was to use with only the camera monitor.

Thanks again for posting.
Jeff
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff. I received the HD-2000 to 'test drive' and asked for the HD-2000 because I was going to use it handheld. The HD-2000 can take cameras up to 2.7 kg (6 pounds), which is enough for the configuration of the NEX-FS100 I'm using (2.1 kg / 4.6 pounds). I also have a Tokina 12-24mm lens which makes the camera 2.6 kg (5.7 pounds). That is without the side handle attached and I use the NP-F770 battery. So I can even use the Tokina lens with it, but then I would also need my arm and vest system, otherwise it would simply be to heavy to hold. But I haven't tried this setup yet.

With the NEX-FS100 in a more compact form (BTW, you can read more about my setup here: DerranNL: Glidecam HD-2000 Review and Videos!) I was able to fly it for about a minute or two and then I would hold the Glidecam at the central post and take a break for a few seconds and then started flying again. It was tiring working with it for a few hours on a hot day, but normally you won't shoot that many flying shots to begin with. The next day I didn't feel muscle pain or tired at all. The first day with the Glidecam I used 3 counter weight plates on each side and that was almost impossible to use.

You could go for the HD-4000 and perhaps use it with the 16mm and ultra wide converter in handheld mode and at a later point in time, go for an arm and vest system and use your Tokina lens and Small HD monitor. I didn't have any problem with using the monitor of the FS100, but since you already got the Small HD, I think it would be great to use in combination with an arm and vest. But for handheld mode I think it will be to heavy.
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice work with the Glidecam! I had the HD2000 with a Z1u, it wasn't easy to go very long before tiring, had to get the vest. The Z1u with a big battery and light mounted was 7 pounds and the weight of the Glidecam pretty much doubled that. It was a lot of short shots as it was tough to handhold for more than a couple of minutes. I had access to the vest, but it was cumbersome so I only used it if I was going to roll long takes. The BTS video is great, I always like seeing what others are doing.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Major Player

derran-

thanks for sharing.

i found the bts vid very helpful.

get to nyc/usa and i'll buy the first round.

i have never "flown" a camera.

i imagine:

keep the lens wide,
shoot with deep focus f/5.6 and above,
manual or auto focus?

any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

again, thanks.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I Have very similar setup as yours, just without the wide angel adapter.
Do u find a better with it? Coz I dont want to add more weight to it
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Rob, I might just take you up on that offer. ;)
Yes, keep the lens wide with F stop around f10 and higher to keep things in focus. I noticed that the 16mm lens does a lot of back and forth focusing (searching... not sure how to call it) which shows up in corners of the footage. That's why I rather use manual focus when using it. And I set focus to infinity and adjust if necessary.

Thomas, the ultra wide adapter is very light weight, only 8.6 ounces. So you might only have to telescope the base platform further out and re-balance the camera, without adding more counter weight plates to your Glidecam. I use this setup with only two plates on each side.

I really like the performance of the ultra wide adapter. It's the best adapter I've ever seen and gives you a much wider view. Almost identical to the Tokina at 12mm. A few weeks ago I tested both lenses at the same location and I was surprised to see that the 16mm with adapter held up so nicely next to the Tokina. I think I still have the footage, but never got around to do something with it.
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Derran,

There doesn't appear to be any weights on the base of the glidecam. Do you not need them with a HD-2000?

Cheers

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Jamie,
It's a bit difficult to see in the video, but I'm using two counter weight plates on each side of the Glidecam.
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Do you use Slow Motion mode to capture this video? it looks very smooth and slow
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #11
Major Player

I didn't slow down the footage or alter it in any way (except for flipping the footage when the Glidecam was in low-mode). I just wanted to show what the device was capable of without any tricks.
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Derran,

Very nice work - thanks for sharing. Myself, I can only dream of operating a flying device - after a series of not quite successful neck spine surgeries :(

But just out of curiosity: even at F10, in the bright sunlight like this you must have used some ND, right? Or, did you "break the rules", and used the shutter speed in Auto mode?

I guess many of us FS100 users do it sometimes, so please don't take it as a criticism - just curious :)

Piotr
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Piotr, I'm sorry to hear that!
Perhaps you're able to fly a Steadicam Smoothy with iPhone? It's the same experience, but without the weight issues.

I couldn't put a ND filter in front of the ultra wide converter, so I've set the shutter to (I believe) 100 and used auto iris. I'd rather have control over iris myself, but it worked good enough to be acceptable.

Last edited by Derran Rootring; June 12th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
Hi Piotr, I'm sorry to hear that!
Ever tried flying a Steadicam Smoothy with iPhone? It's the same experience, but without the weight issues.

I couldn't put a ND filter in front of the ultra wide converter, so I've set the shutter to (I believe) 100 and used auto iris. I'd rather have control over iris myself, but it worked good enough to be acceptable.
Thanks Derran for the explanation - I thought you said F10, hence the question about the shutter :)

Cheers

Piotr
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Major Player

No problem! :)
With these settings the iris stayed around F10 and above.
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta