PDX10 -- various questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 8th, 2003, 04:36 AM   #1
New Boot

PDX10 -- various questions

Anyone have any pointers as to the difference in sound quality between the PDX10 and 950?

I don't need the 16:9 option and in the UK the difference in price between the 2 cameras is about £1,000. So the significant difference would appear to be the XLR inputs for the PDX10.

Whilst I do not need broadcast quality sound (and wouldn't expect it from either camera) I will need (from time to time) reasonably good sound. My thought was to use a Senn K6 with ME66 and 64 modules either with an XLR to minijack lead (for everyday operation) and buy a Beachtek box or similar to use with the 950 for more demanding situations thus saving some money.

However looking at the Glensound box for the VX2000, it is said that this is of no use unless you also have the BBC mods done to the camera. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of combination and any comments. Or should I just raise the extra if sound is to be any kind of consideration?

Thanks

Philip Flower
Philip Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Philip,
I have recently purchased a 950 and Ive been using the Sennheiser MKE300D with it, the sound quality is superb. I dont think the PD model is worth the extra money for DVCAM as personaly I cant tell the difference and its cheaper to get the 950 and a beachtek box.

Phil
Phil Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 10:29 AM   #3
Tourist

Puchasing pdx10p (pal) in U.S.

Does anyone know of the best places to purchase a pdx10p (pal) in the states?
Philip Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 12:47 PM   #4
New Boot

Will you be interested in purchasing one from Singapore? Cos I'm interested in getting one and if we get 2, we could prob get it at a better price.

Contact me off list if you are interested.
E-Gene Soh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 07:29 PM   #5
Tourist

PDX10P- One Man Traveling Feature Shoot

I need to buy a camera very soon to travel extensively with. I'll be shooting for a hopeful feature destination, hence film look. I'm leaning towards the pdx10p (pal) which would give me realitive portabilty, 25 fps, and a full 16:9 ratio. Any thoughts on this camera choice under these circumstances? Thanks
Philip Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 08:34 PM   #6
Outer Circle

The PAL version of the PDX10 would be a good cam for capturing for the purpose of transferring to film; but the PAL, MX500 would be better, depending on the transfer lab, because it also has frame mode. You will need an XLR adaptor, though. Sound is always an important issue which is often overlooked. But other than that, stick with NTSC (unless you're thinking film transfer).

Someone locally shot with a PD100A and it transferred to film. The doc was just over 2 hours long. Very expensive, but then she's quite the pro.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

confirm on PDX10: manual Iris & Gain?

Can anyone confirm for me that unlike the 950, the x10 has independent Iris and Gain control, versus the combined "exposure" control?

Thanks,
derek
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Derek,

No according to Julian, posted in another thread (PDX-10 review). The PDX-10 has the same exposure control as TRV-950.
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 12:47 AM   #9
New Boot

Line level XLR inputs on PDX10

I recently bought two PDX10s and on both of them the XLR line inputs do not work properly. At about -25 dB the audio starts to distort badly. Has anyone else used the XLR line inputs on this model?
Guustaaf Damave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #10
New Boot

pdx 10 and trv 950 ..16x9 the same?

is the 16x9 mode the same on the cameras or is the 950 "fake"
16x9

thanks

Vince

love my pd150
Vincent DeBartoloneis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Which ND filter ??

Hello,

Ok, since the PDX 10 does not have a built in ND filter.. I went today to various camera shops looking for one.. And find out there are several flavors.. ND 2, ND 4 and ND 6..
With ND 2 the least filtering and ND 6 the most filtering..
Which one is recomended for shooting outside with strong sunlight ??

thanks,
mike m.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:48 PM   #12
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Mike,
We have LOTS of threads on ND filters. Use the Search to hunt them down.

Here's a recent thread that might hit the mark.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

But to give you a quick answer Mike, do this. Go outside on a sunny day and film at wide-angle, using auto exposure, and any 'normal' subject. Then on replay, hit the 'display' button and se what aperture the camera chose to shoot at.

If you get a reading such as 1/50th @ f9.5, then most certainly go get an ND8, as this will absorb three stops of light and let you shoot at a much sharper aperture. If it says f5.6 (say) then an ND4 (two stops) would be the one to go for.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #14
Warden

This thread has some good info also. It has good link to Schneider Optical for a good explanation of ND filters and their numbering, density etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM   #15
New Boot

The PDX10 uses more pixels to capture 16:9 than the 950.

There's a link on one of the threads here to a page that shows the difference in the capture area between the two.
Jeff Dobisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion