PDX10 -- various questions - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old May 30th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #106
Regular Crew

the pd100A is an excellent camera in low light but like someone mentionned it it's discontinued.
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:58 AM   #107
Tourist

PDX10P Thankyou

Hello guys,
After scanning these forums for the last week, I decided to purchase a Sony PDX10P. I must admit I appreciate the fact that the folks here dont seem too biased about their camera brand or model, willing to not only voice the pro's, but also the cons.

I'd just like to thank those who have posted, especially in this forum. Im looking forward to the relationship with my new camera, although i must admit, ive had it three days and have partaken in but five minutes of footage. Nope ive never been a sucker for manuals before, but i guess spending 5k (Aus) demands it :)

Thanks again,
Tim.
Tim Bedgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #108
Wrangler

Congratulations Tim, glad you found the forum helpful. The PDX-10 manual is not really all that great (like other Sony manuals I've seen), but it does recite all the features and can serve as a starting point. Let us know how the camera works out for you, we'll be here if you have questions along the way!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #109
Tourist

PDX-10 Or the TRV 950

hey Guys what camera u think would be best for surf footage and underwater photography?????
Jarrad Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #110
Regular Crew

Probably not much in it for 4:3 but if you want 16:9 then PDX is the way to go.

They both will fit a standard u/w housing (the PDX shoe for mic can be removed) so they have the same footprint.

Having one PDX already, I thought about the 950 as a 2nd camera, but decided on getting a 2nd PDX10.

Regards p
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #111
Wrangler

I don't know what the pricing is like in your part of the world, but at B&H the price difference between the PDX-10 and TRV-950 is about $300. The microphone, XLR box, DVCAM recording, BW viewfinder, additional menu options, black finish and especially the higher quality 16:9 are well worth the price difference.
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #112
Major Player

Right. If that's the price difference for you as well, Jarrad, definitely go with the PDX10.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #113
Inner Circle

I agree. The unique selling point of the PDX10 is the excellent 16:9 that even gives you a half-decent wide-angle (equivalent to 39.5mm is still photo terms). The 950 doesn't have a USP in my book. It's pretty, has a lovely side screen but does come with it's fais share of video and audio compromises.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:30 AM   #114
Regular Crew

DV RIG pro Shoulder Mount- Looks good?

It is the DV Rig Pro...Doesn't mention working with the PDX but says all pro-sumer cams.

http://www.dvtec.tv/_wsn/page2.html

And it looks good at least on the website.
B&H has it for $600.00 and man I am tempted. Love my PDX10 but it is killing my shoulder and ruining my ping pong game. Anyone heard anything on this rig?
I do a lot of weddings and thus receptions!!!

thanks,
Al

I know there is another thread but wasn't sure anyone visited that one anymore.
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #115
Tourist

PDX10 / PD100A low-light comparison

I've had a PD100A for about 4 years, and am now needing to move on to a newer camera. I really like the 100A, with the exception of a noisy motor, it's been an excellent camera for me. The PDX10 seems a logical replacement-- though i've read alot about its not-so-great handling of low-light situations. I do quite a bit of verite-style documentary work, so this is a concern-- however, if its performance is comparable to that of the 100A, then I don't see it being a problem for me.

Does anyone have experience with (or knowledge of) these two models? Is the PDX10 worse in low-light situations than the 100A? Are there other factors that I should consider in moving from the 100A to the PDX10? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Daniel Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #116
Wrangler

This is kicked around every so often here, but more recently with regard to the TRV-900 vs TRV-950. I don't think many people here have personal hands on experience with both cameras, but there is anecdotal info.

I think you'll find the PDX-10 needs more light, based on what I've read. But how much?... not sure. I have a PDX-10 and a VX-2000 and can offer some actual data there. I recently shot some tests, and observed that the PDX-10 was roughly two and a half f-stops slower than the VX-2000. Perhaps this data point will help?

I really like my PDX-10, and almost never use the VX-2000 anymore, but in a dark documentary setting you might have issues (I don't do that type of shooting myself). Now I think you will be able to film in most of those places with the PDX-10 - I've shot by campfire light for example. But the noise level will probably be higher than the PD-100a. The 14-bit DSP offsets this a bit, and at +6dB gain I can't really detect any added noise.

IMO, the real strength of the PDX-10 is the high resolution 16:9 which is just about the same quality as its 4:3. If you don't do much 16:9 work then there probably isn't a lot of reason to get a PDX-10. However it does give you DVCAM, hi-res BW viewfinder, nice big bright LCD panel, XLR's and the same mike as the PD-170. And you could buy two of them for about the same price as one PD-170.

Does this help any?
Old July 17th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #117
Regular Crew

New Sony Wide Angle??

I've seen this Sony 37mm 0.45X Wide Angle.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=VCLSW04&DCMP=BeFree_DF&HQS=VCLSW04
Not sure how new it is, but it is .45 and zoom through as far as I am aware.
Would be great for what I need.
Anyone used or tested this lens with the PDX or 950?
Could anyone test it, maybe some screen shots with it.
Also for people with the expensive sony 2x converter, how much quality is lost? How much as a percentage would you say? Is the image softened?
The 2x converter I have now made by raynox is not usable it's so soft.
Many camcorders that have 37mm threads are cheaper consumer cams, so the lenses are made for those cameras. Do you think buying a lens with a larger thread would be the better option? Do you still get the same field of view?
Steve Tapping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #118
Wrangler

Haven't seen that .45x before. I have one of the "titanium" .45x wide lenses however and am happy with the wide field of view it gives. There is noticeable barrell distortion at full wide, but I sort of like the effect.

I also have the Sony VCL-HG2037X which I believe is the "expensive sony 2x converter" you're talking about. I think it's excellent personally, very sharp. I don't know how I would rate it as a "percentage" though? Note that there are no filter threads on the front however. You can't zoom very far through it without severe vignetting, but that isn't an issue for me, and I think it's pretty much what one would expect with a 2x lens. I suppose a lens designed for a larger camcorder might let you zoom out farther, but that would be kind of a monster in relation to the PDX-10...
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #119
Major Player

Are any conversion lenses for the PDX10 NOT zoom through? Afterall, all the zooming happens in the camera, not like a digital still camera sticks's its lens out.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #120
Wrangler

Ronald, the issue is not that the camera lens will bump into the converter, but that focus will not hold when zooming through the entire range. Additionally, depending on the lens, you may get vignetting of the image such that the corners fade or get chopped off.

So yes, you can press the zoom button while the converter lens is installed, but depending on the particular lens, the resulting images may not be optimal.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion