PDX10 -- various questions - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old March 5th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #241
Regular Crew

PDX10 and Sony Vegas...

here I am, yet another fresh Pdx-10 noob... :)

well, I posted my question on the vegas forum, but with no luck...
maybe someone from here can help me. here is my dilemma:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61710
thanx
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM   #242
New Boot

pdx 10 underwater

Hello to all, I am to the search of some school of scuba diving and camera, video class under water, did you know if exists?

Perhaps somebody knows wish is the best underwater housings for the pdx 10
Claudio Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM   #243
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Claudio. A search on "underwater" in the PDX-10 forum turns up a few threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=underwater
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #244
Regular Crew

PDX10 Purchase - Is this worth it?

Hi guys,

Recently I found a deal on a PDX10 - Pal version. The price is NZD $1600, which is just under USD $1000. The camera has had 140 tape hours and 400 hours operation time. This includes a NP-QM91D battery and a metal case.

What's you guys take on this? Is this a good deal these days, with HDV etc.

I recently sold an XL1 and am in search of something a bit smaller and lighter on the wallet but with native 16:9.

Thanks for the advice,
Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #245
Major Player

Pdx10 + Hc1000

Hi everybody

Does anybody out there know if there is any add on lens so i can film small insects, i know that you can move the camera close to your subject but this cuts out the light, I need to fill the screen with a insect

your help would be great

Thanks
Ian
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #246
Wrangler

Until I lost it, I used to have a cheap wide angle adapter that doubled as a macro lens. You unscrewed the front element to shoot macro. I think several companies make these, although mine came from "Digital Optics" IIRC. Caveat: I never used the macro function so I can't vouch for the quality....
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #247
Wrangler

I still think the PDX-10 holds its own very respectably in widescreen DV. The small chips have some limitations, but that sounds like a good price. Of course the FX1 is much better but will cost a lot more. The A1 might be another option, but again, more expensive.
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #248
Major Player

Hi,
I have a PDX-10 as a second camera. It's good points are a great 16:9 image when well lit, surprisingly useful touch screen focus, good audio options, compact size. Its bad points are extremely bad low-light capability (including serious vertical streaking), unwieldy shape, I also find it hard to focus accurately with (unless you use touch screen). If you're going to be doing well lit tripod shots I would say its still a good camera for the money, if you want lots of handheld night shots its a bad choice.
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #249
Wrangler

I have a Z1, a VX-2000 and a PDX-10. I find the PDX-10 be be 2.5 f-stops slower than the VX-2000, but the gain is much cleaner on the PDX-10 so you can definitely gain a stop there, maybe 1.5 stops. Now the Z1 is not really a "prince of darkness either" - I'd guess it's only 1 f-stop faster than the PDX-10. But it's gain boost is probably even cleaner - I use 12dB often and it looks pretty good.

The LCD screen on the PDX-10 is a big improvement over the PD-150 and VX-2000, but not nearly as nice as the Z1. I have shot lots of our opera performance archive videos and the PDX-10 and have been very happy with the results. Again, the Z1 is a very nice upgrade, but dollar for dollar the PDX-10 is an excellent value. At $1,000 I think you'd be getting a good deal, assuming the camera is in decent condition. I think you'd pay more than twice that much to get a significant improvement in quality. If you could afford an FX1 then I'm sure you'd be even happier, but that isn't really what you were asking... :-)
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #250
Major Player

Bag for PDX10

After fitting a wide angle on the PDX10 [and the larger hood] and finally testing and fitting the XLR microphone, I decided I needed a new bag to fit to the whole thing.

So going to B&H Photo yielded this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The Sony LC-PDX10BP for $129.95.[made by Petrol]

Which I thought was a bit expensive, so I went down to B&H today to check it out first hand.

Lo and behold, there is the exact same bag by Petrol, PMUP-1 for $84.95!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The only difference is the Sony logo. Now is that worth an extra $45 to you?

It wasn't to me.... too funny. Glad I saved the extra bills.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #251
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the advice. Sounds like the PDX10 is a pretty good bet then, esp. for outdoor shooting in widescreen.

:o)

Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #252
Tourist

Removing XLR Adapter PDX10

I have a new PDX10 and I would like to use it with and without the XLR adapter. However, since it takes so much force to get the adapter connected, I am worried that if I constantly remove/reattach the mechanism it will eventually break. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I just leave the XLR adapter attached? Thanks!
Jennifer Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #253
Wrangler

Hi Jennifer, and welcome to DVinfo!

Well as they say, "your mileage may vary".... but I always store my PDX-10 with the XLR removed in order to fit in a small bag. I haven't hardly used the camera since I got my Z1 last summer, but before that I constantly took the XLR on and off for over 2 years with no problems whatsoever.

Once you get accustomed to the needed force and the tactile feedback when the XLR block is seated, I think you'll be fine. But if you're not comfortable with the whole process then only remove it when needed.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #254
Major Player

I haven't had my PDX10 as long as Boyd, but I constantly will remove and reattatch my xlr adapter as well and have never had a problem.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #255
Major Player

PDX10 for weddings

Yes i know its not as good as the vx2000/2100 and pd 150/170 but does anybody out there use it for weddings, I had one last year got a offer that i could not refuse and parted with it,

But looking back at some footage i shot of some deer, and after using the FX1 and still owning the XL2, and portability of the little cam i have realized that although it has some short cummings it holds its own in the 16:9 mode and i
plan to try some weddings this year (Ive always got the XL2 for backup) and i just wondered if anybody has and what results they have got

Thanks
Ian

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion