PDX10 -- various questions - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #301
Wrangler

The PDX-10 lives on

Visit this index page on Sony's Business Solutions and Systems site: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...et_10014.shtml and scroll down to the DVCAM link....

Although the PDX-10 is no longer made, it has now become the icon for the Sony DVCAM system :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #302
Regular Crew

What happens when PDX10P goes 1/25?

When you shoot with a shutter speed of 1/25, it seems to affect image quality but it doesn't seem to cut the resolution in half. If I just set the camera on a tripod and shoot something at 1/60 and then go to 1/25 I see only an extremely subtle loss in detail. There seems to be more loss when there are more vibrant colors and when there's more motion.

What exactly happens here? Does this have something to do with the PDX10P's high-res CCD chips? Do they somehow compensate partially for the loss in resolution?
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #303
Wrangler

I think you just get field doubling when setting the shutter at 1/25 (assuming you have a PAL camera). Theoretically it should cut vertical resolution in half, but in reality it isn't that bad. This is due to the fact that the PDX-10 (and all interlaced cameras AFAIK) don't ever provide the full vertical resolution. Imagine a horizontal liine running from left to right which is only 1 pixel wide. With an interlaced camera, that line would be captured in only one of the two interlaced fields, and when viewed on the screen it would flicker on and off every 1/50 second. To avoid problems like this, the camera does some blending of the two fields. I'm not sure how this is accomplished, but it means you aren't getting the full 576 lines to start with.

As far as colors and motion making a difference, I never noticed that myself so I'm not sure what might be happening.
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #304
Regular Crew

I'm not 100% sure if it's the colors and the motion that does it but what I do know is that I see little difference right away when I switch from 1/25 to 1/60 but I often see huge differences in quality at certain moments when comparing 1/25 footage to 1/60 footage. May also depend on the amount of light. 1/25 allows more low-light conditions but not without a price it seems.
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #305
Regular Crew

Anyway, just felt I needed to add I've now decided to definitely not shoot at 1/25, the quality trade-off is huge. I didn't realize what it was for a long time, it didn't occur to me that the shutter speed could have this effect, but for a long time I've been thinking about why I'm not getting a nice crispy clear image at times. Now I've decided to go back to 1/60 and make it look film-like in post and goddamn, I feel like I'm working with high-def material here! :)
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #306
Regular Crew

Need PDX10 expert opinions

Hello, all.

I'm new to the dvinfo.net forum, but have been here off and on for a while, just reading and absorbing.

I've just purchased a used Sony PDX10. However, it did not come with the XLR block or a mic.

So, should I spring for the XLR block made by Sony for this cam (to the tune of $260 just for the block), or should I get something like a Beachtek XLR adapter and a non-Sony mic (maybe a Sennheiser)?

I like the idea of being able attach the XLR block to the camera itself, on the top, rather beneath it, like with the Beachtek. Is there a way to attach third party XLR adapters to the "intelligent accessory" shoe of the PDX10? And how is the quality, if I do that, when the connector is a mini jack, rather than the proprietary connector with the Sony-built XLR accessory?

Also, since I don't want to use my camera as a deck, should I purchase, say, an inexpensive one-chip camera and use that to transfer my PDX10 footage to my computer? Or is there a better method?

I'm sure I'm going to have other questions, but I think I've asked enough for the moment.

Thanks all very much!

Sincerely,

Paula DiSante
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #307
Wrangler

Welcome Paula!

I'm sure a Beachtek would do most of what you want... I always laughed that Beachtek shows the DXA-6 on a PDX-10 in fact. If you get one, your camera will look like this:

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa6_inside.html

But I don't know if the quality is the same when going through the miniplug. I have one of the passive Beachtek boxes for my VX-2000 and I know it requires you to set the mini-plug for microphone level and I always wondered if this introduced more noise than a line level connection would.

Ideally I would want the XLR block if it were my camera. I don't think anyone else makes a box which works with the "smart shoe", and without it you would lose some of the menu controls. But whether it's worth $260 to add an accessory to a used camcorder is another issue. Perhaps you can buy and inexpensive used Beachtek and see if it meets your needs?
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #308
Regular Crew

Thanks for welcome

Thank you very much for your welcome, Boyd. And thanks especially for the advice.

[b]>>Ideally I would want the XLR block if it were my camera. I don't think anyone else makes a box which works with the "smart shoe", and without it you would lose some of the menu controls. But whether it's worth $260 to add an accessory to a used camcorder is another issue. Perhaps you can buy and inexpensive used Beachtek and see if it meets your needs?[b/]

I have a bit to consider, it seems. Part of me says "go with the manufacturer's accessory made specifically for this camera!" Another part says "pick up a decent Beachtek on eBay!" I'll have to think about this for a while.

If anyone else knows the answer to Boyd's question as to whether or not using a mini jack could possibly introduce line noise, I'd love to hear about it!

This camera is not my dream camera, but it's going to take a while to save for different equipment. I bought this in the meantime so I could help teach my nephews how to make movies, since they have expressed an interest in it. Its small size will make things a lot easier, at least starting out.

Thanks all again very much.
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM   #309
Regular Crew

Sony PDX10 Scrambled Image Occasionally

occasionally, the video from my pdx10 appears a bit scrambled.
everything will look great, and then little scrambled blips pop up for
a few seconds at a time...they usually appear in a line from the top
of the screen to the bottom.

i tried cleaning the heads with a sony miniDV head cleaner tape, and
it seemed to get better...but it still happens occasionally. i've
since used the head cleaner many times, and it now rarely
happens...but it still happens (maybe two or three times per 40 minute
DVCAM tape). any advice is appreciated.
Jon Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #310
Regular Crew

pdx10 DV to analog passthrough?

Anyone know if the pdx10 can do DV to analog passthrough?

I use Vegas 7 for editing and want to set up an external monitor. I want to do this by: computer -- firewire -- pdx10 -- s-video -- TV. But I can not figure out how to do this with the pdx10. I am starting to suspect the pdx10 does not have this function since I can not find anything about it in the manual. (I know it does analog to DV, but I want to go the other way).

Anyone know if it is possible to do DV to analog on the pdx10?

Thanks.

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #311
Wrangler

I don't think you need to do anything special to the PDX-10 in order to get what you want. The default menu settings should allow it. If not, then I believe there's a menu called AV/DV IN. Try changing that setting and see if it helps. Or try resetting the camera and that should restore the default settings. Also confirm that your computer is set correctly by trying another camera.

Sorry, I gave my PDX-10 to a friend so I can't check it myself.

(note: I moved this thread to our PDX-10 forum from the VX-2100/PD-170 forum)
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #312
Regular Crew

For the record, the pdx10 does do DV to analog pass-through.

My problem was related to improper setup of some of the options in my editing program.

Thanks!

pdx10, EOS10D
Steve Roffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #313
Major Player

Considering buying a used PDX10

Hello from a new forum user,

I am thinking about buying a used PDX10 and I have some questions.

- I've read that it is not possible to adjust exposure and shutter speed simultaneously. I hope this means that I can adjust them separately and have both adjusted to custom values AT THE SAME TIME? Meaning, that PDX10 does not provide simple Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority modes, but indeed provides full manual mode (well, within limitations of auto gain and auto ND filters) ?

- Is it possible to display datacode -- or at least shutter/aperture info -- during recording? I've read recommendations on using ND4 in daylight, but how can one use two-stop filter blindly without knowing whether the gain has turned on or not? Say, if I wanted to use the shallowest DOF possible, I would want wide iris, but I would want no gain if lightning allows, so I don't want to induce gain by putting a filter. Any way to monitor this? I am ok with stupid "exposure" control instead of normal aperture control if I can read actual aperture info back. My current Canon Elura 100 works the same way: the Exposure control actually operates on aperture/gain with shutter speed locked, and I can read current shutter/aperture settings by half-pressing Photo button.

- I've read that camera tends to stay above (numerically below) f/5.6 which works for shallow DOF. What if I want to shoot a panorama far away? I need long DOF in this case, therefore I need small iris and no ND filters. How this can be achieved?

- Does it still makes sense to buy a used PDX10 for say $1000 without XLR/mic? Yes, it has a metal body and has DVCAM, but isn't HV20 a better camera for the same $1000, new? Hasn't it time gone?

Thanks.

Last edited by Michael Jouravlev; September 25th, 2007 at 09:35 AM.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #314
Regular Crew

Boyd Ostroff
is who you need to talk to on this forum he really knows the pdx10.
the pdx has 18 db of gain that can be turned off in custom presets.
I am also curious about its time being passed but i still don't have an hd tv so no hurry for me.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:33 PM   #315
Wrangler

Hi Michael,

Yes you have full control over both shutter speed and iris, but there's just one limitation. In full manual mode, when you change the shutter speed, the current value of the iris will change to compensate for the new shutter speed. However you can then go back into the iris mode and change its setting as often as you like while retaining the shutter speed you just chose. So in other words, be sure to choose your shutter speed FIRST, then adjust the iris afterwards. This is the exact same behavior which you will see on the VX-2000.

Yes, you can show all the settings in the viewfinder while shooting in manual mode. Again, it behaves just like the VX-2000. Simple rule to remember: if you don't see the value in the viewfinder then that parameter is under auto control. Gain can be manually controlled as well. As you open the iris, when you reach the full opening then each successive click of the wheel will add another 3 dB of gain, up to a max of 18dB.

The camera tries to keep your iris in the "sweet spot" as you noted, and it will automatically drop internal ND filters into the optical train as needed. Unfortunately this is not documented and the camera doesn't tell you when it's doing this. So forcing a wide open iris is best acheived using an external ND filter so that the camera has no choice but to open the iris all the way.

Not sure about your panorama question. You can always focus the camera anywhere you like, and that's not the same as depth of field. Depth of field relates to the full range of distance in which all objects will remain in focus. F5.6 will actually provide quite a large depth of field; in other words, objects in the foreground and background will all be in focus. I don't think you will find many situations where you want MORE depth of field on the PDX-10.

Obviously the PDX-10 is a standard definition camcorder. I think it was a great value in its day, and it was selling for around $1,300 shortly before it was discontinued IIRC. $1,000 sounds a little high to me for a camera without the XLR or microphone, maybe you should make a lower offer and see what the seller says? If you want high definition then you shouldn't even be looking at the PDX-10, so I don't see how a comparison with the HV20 is particularly relevant personally.

We actually have a separate sub-forum dedicated to the PDX-10 here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=43

I'm moving this thread there. You might want to browse back a bit through that forum, you'll find lots of good info there. I gave my PDX-10 to a friend last year, and it's having a great time in its new home in Greece :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion