PDX10 -- various questions - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old May 24th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #271
Inner Circle

I have a Tecpro 0.5s. This is a 2 element zoom-through wide-angle converter that unscrews in the middle. Once you've done this you're left with a +10 dioptre powerful close-up lens which can be used at full telepho for some quite oustanding closeups. Bit soft round the edges though, so best to shoot at smallish apertures (difficult on the TRV900 and HC1000 as neither allow it).

The front element can also be used as a partial zoom-through wide-angle converter, and it's WIDE - something like 0.4x, but with lots of barrel distortion.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:17 AM   #272
Regular Crew

pdx10, wide and filter...

well, I just bought x0.43 fish eye from COKIN for my pdx-10... my eternal dream, to have fish eye, at last, weeiii... :)
anyhow, I am considering to buy couple of filters (ND, polarizig, etc)... so, how can I attach both my wide adapter and filters on my camera? sorry for my ignorance, heh, but what things exactly do I need in order to achieve that?
I am considering to order all that brom b&hphotovideo...
thanx ...
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #273
Inner Circle

Does your fisheye lens vignette the corners of your image at the moment - in other words do you have 4 black corners when you use this lens?

If so, when you fit any filter between the lens and the camera's zoom this 'cut-off corners' effect will increase, so beware.

I doubt if the 0.43x Cokin has a filter thread to accept filters or hoods up front, so you'll have to improvise with square filters (also sold by Cokin).

The polarisor is a goodie but I wouldn't bother with extra ND. There's three of them built into the PDX10 already, and if it's incredibly bright I'd simply up the shutter speed a notch to soak an extra stop. Beware of going too far though as CCD smear quickly takes hold.

tom.
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #274
Regular Crew

well, this is image captured from camera... no zoom. vignette is out of safe frame, only can be seen on computer.
http://www.15minutespictures.com/beat/prdavaac.jpg
weird, there is black vignette only on the right side...

and, I took a photo of my camera, with cokin fisheye attached so you can see...
http://www.15minutespictures.com/beat/kameraw.jpg

so, u think there's no need for ND? okay...
do you think some "sky" filters will be a goodie too? you know, sometimes, when adjusting exposure on subjects, to avoid overexposing sky, etc... or, what other filter do you recommend?
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #275
Inner Circle

All four corners are vignetted, but you're right in that the RHS is worse. Your lens is off axis with the centre of the chip - no big deal.

A graduated filter can be useful to control the over-exposure of the sky, but you have to be oh-so-careful when you use filters with a camera with such tiny 1/5" chips. If they're not spotless and well hooded you can get nasty flare and spots when you're using very short focal lengths.

My recommendation? Don't use any filters unless you absolutely must. For dusty, sandy conditions and sticky-fingered children's parties, yes. But otherwise no.

tom.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #276
Regular Crew

Switch from VX-2000 to PDX10?

Would I be crazy to replace my VX-2000 with a PDX10? My primary reason for considering the switch is size and weight. I'm getting to where I can't stand watching my hand held camera work with the VX-2000 anymore...not steady enough. The camera is so front-heavy, actually just heavy period for it's size. At work I use a DSR 300 and that heavier shoulder-mounted camera is easier to use hand held than the VX-2000.

I'd really like to get a glidecam to help with the stability issue, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to use for average to longth periods of time with a VX-2000. I assume a PDX10 would be more manageable.

What will the trade off be between these two cameras as far as video degradation? How about low light sensitivity? Lense differences? If it matters, I acquired my VX-2000 in March '02. Any info you fine folks can share would be wonderful, I really enjoy this board.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #277
Tourist

PC will not recognise PDX10

I've got a problem with my PDX10 camera. Today i wanted to capture some video, so i connected the camera with a firewire cable. Then this happends: on the LCD display of the camera appears "dv in" and that's it. In the capture window of Premiere, the only thing i see is: "Capture device offline".

Is this a known problem or is my camera broken?
Jeroen Elbertse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #278
Major Player

An old question I know, but have you tried changing the firewire cable?
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #279
Tourist

PDX-10 Picture jumping

Hi

Firstly, great to see forum for the PDX10. I've had mine for a couple of years and love it, however, on the last shoot the picture started jumping slightly to the left, then back to normal centre position and then left again etc etc

I did find that if I turned it off and left it for a while, when I used it again, I could get about 10 mins before the same thing happened.

I thought that I'd be able to fix it in the edit by adjusting the frames accordingly and then cropping but actually it seems that when it jumps left it also expands the vertical picture very slightly. This meant that although I could get the jump-left images centred, it still didn't sit correctly.

Has anyone had eny experience of this and tell me what is wrong before I trudge off to the local repairshop?

Thanks for any pointers.

Dave
Dave Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #280
Wrangler

Welcome to the group Dave. I've never seen anything like this on my PDX-10. I wonder if it might be related to the image stabilization system? Have you tried turning steadyshot off? Hard to tell from your description, but it might just be a drop-out problem of some kind on the tape also.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #281
Tourist

Hi Boyd - thanks for the reply.

I was using it as a front-end for a stop-frame animation video so there was no film in the camera - I was literally grabbing stills via firewire to a Mac. (actually, the jumping effect didn't ruin the shoot and possibly added to the lo-fi flavour ;))

I first noticed the computer monitor jumping and re-booted, but then I noticed it was happening on the camera display so I changed the firewire cables etc but still the same thing occured. That's when I powered-down the PDX and noticed that I got the 10mins of normal use upon powering it up.

I will, as you suggest, turn off the steadyshot and see if that helps.

Thank you again

Dave
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #282
Tourist

Damn - sadly that didn't do the trick :(

On closer inspection though, it seems to be a kind of picture stretching, as opposed to jumping, and the right of the picture isn't affected at all. Very odd indeed.

I think it's time for the menders :-/

Dave
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #283
Major Player

Hi Dave,

there is a web site here by sony europe in 2005 about faulty LCD screen problems on some pdx10p and pd170p . it gives all people a free repair on the stated serial number. I hope it helps

this is the site:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArtic...site=odw_en_GB

david
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #284
Tourist

Thanks very much for that David - for a moment there was a glimmer of hope :)

Sadly though, my serial number is higher than those.

I might call the number on there though. You never know.

Thanks again

Dave
Old November 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #285
Wrangler

David: see my other post here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...d=1#post577133

The recall is not for LCD problems, but for CCD problems.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion