DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX & PD series battery / batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/1157-vx-pd-series-battery-batteries.html)

Tom Hardwick November 6th, 2004 01:01 PM

What light and what filters Jim? If the light's the 20DW-2 you might also want an NP-f960.

Bill Keen November 6th, 2004 07:53 PM

Re: NP-F750 batteries or "compatible" for VX-2100

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Gunn : or should I just purchase the Sony brand batteries at full price elsewhere? -->>>

Sony really screwed me and I'm certain many others when they discontinued the 960 batteries before shipping the new 970s. I bought my PD170 from EVS about a month ago and they had just sold their last 960. I ended up ordering 2 third party batteries from J&R as EVS had nothing to offer and I had a wedding to shoot in less than a week. I talked to a salesman at EVS this week and he has no idea when Sony will ship the 970, plus I saw B&H has none in stock either.

Shame on Sony!

Jim Gunn November 7th, 2004 12:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : What light and what filters Jim? If the light's the 20DW-2 you might also want an NP-f960. -->>>

I ordered a Sony SOVF58M VF-58M 58mm Neutral Density Filter Kiit and also a Sony SOHVLS3D HVL-S3D 3w DC Hot-Shoe Video Light plus a bulb that runs off of the camera battery. I am looking forward to using this for daily use and also testing the low light performance of this camera at night in clubs and in the evening.

Tom Hardwick November 7th, 2004 02:13 AM

You've chosen the best low light camera you can get Jim and I'm sure you'll find it a lot better than the XL1 in that department. But by buying the VX2100 won't you miss the XLR inputs? Didn't you have the PD170 on your short list? I'd have thought that a better competitor for the Canon.

The 3w video light looks to be too small and too feeble, but I'd like to hear your report once you've used it. Nice that it uses the intelligent shoe but the 20+20 with a Lumiquest diffuser avoids the 'point-source-of-light' look that brings such sharp shadows.

Glad you got an ND. Out in ther sunshine the VX can certainly do with more ND than is supplied by the lens barrel switch.

tom.

Mike Rehmus November 7th, 2004 12:31 PM

The 3-watt will be a disapointment as it is uneven and way too low powered. I've had a couple for a while and they stay in the drawer unless I simply cannot light any other way and the quality isn't as important as the record.

Tom Hardwick November 7th, 2004 12:47 PM

Doesn't sound as if Mike would see the (3w) light at the end of the tunnel.

Jim Gunn November 8th, 2004 02:03 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : You've chosen the best low light camera you can get Jim and I'm sure you'll find it a lot better than the XL1 in that department. But by buying the VX2100 won't you miss the XLR inputs? Didn't you have the PD170 on your short list? I'd have thought that a better competitor for the Canon.

The 3w video light looks to be too small and too feeble, but I'd like to hear your report once you've used it. Nice that it uses the intelligent shoe but the 20+20 with a Lumiquest diffuser avoids the 'point-source-of-light' look that brings such sharp shadows.

Glad you got an ND. Out in ther sunshine the VX can certainly do with more ND than is supplied by the lens barrel switch.

tom. -->>>

The XL-1 doesn't have XLR inputs per se, although I have used two handheld mics plus the on-camera mic to record up to three channels of audio at the same time in night club and crowd shoots with two hosts with my XL-1.

As far as the PD-170, I won't work with a b/w viewfinder, period. I film a lot of documentary style videos and spontaneous footage and Ii want to see color like I do with my eyes. Give me color or forget it.

My friend had one of those small lights on his VX-1000 or 2000 and I liked it, so I'm sure I will get use out of this light and I like that it draws power from the camera battery. Anywayy, it's cheap, so I will probably buy another on-camera light eventually anyway.

Ray Bell November 8th, 2004 07:54 PM

960 batterey

Just got a 960 battery for $40 on Ebay.....

just look for the battery on ebay

its a buy it now so you don't have to bid on them

Mike Rehmus November 8th, 2004 08:29 PM

Are you certain it is a 'real' Sony battery and not one of the fakes?

Ray Bell November 9th, 2004 04:07 PM

Yes they are Sony OEM batteries... come in the same
blister pack and all....

I have two of them now..... $40 each... took about
two weeks to get them as they send them from Hong Kong

but if I had bought the batteries here in Dallas theywould
have cost me around $350... and I got these for $80 total.

I can look up the seller but it was batteries-007 or something close to that if not correct... should be easy
to find on ebay... again, buy it now option so no bidding

Bob Harotunian November 10th, 2004 12:31 PM

Jim,
I also just bought a PD170 and needed a battery ASAP so I got the CTA NP-F960 for 59.95 from B&H. I used it at a wedding, went all day with it and the camera displayed the battery use. No problems seen.
Bob

Ken Beals November 19th, 2004 06:27 PM

PD170 rejects battery

Purchased 2 Power 2000 ACD-607 (Li-ion) battery, substitute battery for Sony's NP-960L.

They are new batts. less than 1 month. Today my PD170 "rejected" one of the batteries.

After clicking in the battery and turning on the camera, the usual blue screen on the LCD and then a few moments later an ominous message came on the blue screen to the effect that it only uses Info-Lithium batteries and after a few more moments the camera shut down.

The other battery works fine, in fact since their purchase I have already used both batteries and recharged them at least twice .

For some unexplained reason the camera does not recognize the battery as an "Info-lithium" type battery.

If you'll indulge my personifying the camera a wee bit,it's as if the camera will sip just enough juice from the battery to flash a message that it doesn't like the taste of that battery, bye...bye...click...black LCD.

Any ideas, suggestions or similar experiences? If it's an inherant flaw in the battery, do you think B & H will exchange it ?

thanks,

Ken

Mike Rehmus November 19th, 2004 07:41 PM

B&H should. I've seen this before when the other battery makers don't quite get the 'looks-like' formula correct.

Alan Christensen November 20th, 2004 12:46 AM

I ran into the same problem when I bought my VX-2100. Both 3rd party batteries that I had recently purchased and that I had been using successfully with my VX-2000 will not work with my VX-2100. They likewise will not work with the PD170 that I recently purchased. I have posted this information on this forum previously because it is a pain to buy batteries like this and not have them work. I think Sony decided to make the newer cameras pickier with respect to batteries to sell more of their own at inflated prices. Luckily you can now get genuine Sony batteries on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Alfred Okocha November 21st, 2004 05:02 AM

Battery question..

Hi I'll do a shot tomorrow with a VX2000 and I wonder if my batteries for my trv-19 are compatible with the VX.. (NP-FM50)

I expect the run time to be less..?

I'll also use a sony monitor.. What is the cable out conection from the cam??

Thanks.