Vignette problem - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #691
Trustee

Thanks.
I might break down and try it.

Gerald, just to confirm, you ran the BF calibration (FB) three times, right?
ND OFF
ND1
ND2

What did you do between each calibration? Did you power cycle?

I hate to say it, but could you provide a step by step procedure on how you made this adjustment?

I realize there would be a disclaimer to try at your own risk.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #692
Regular Crew

o.k. try at your own risk. Thats how it worked for me for 2 cameras Sony could not fix - your experience could be different..

Camera was set to 1080 25p
PP1 with detail off
I used 12 focus charts (Siemens Star) - I think a few less would not make a difference... 4 columns 3 rows
Camera was 3 meters away from a white wall outside my house
Aperture always f1.9 fully open at stop (use shutter to adjust brightness)
Focus full manual
Zoom servo on
Macro set to off

Set to ND off - zoom in fully - use expanded focus and sharpen
Use the maintenance menu - choose backfocus adjustment (FB)

When finished - leave menu - do not turn the camera off
Turn on ND1 - adjust brightness with shutter
zoom in fully - use expanded focus and sharpen

When finished - leave menu - do not turn the camera off
Turn on ND2 - adjust brightness with shutter
zoom in fully - use expanded focus and sharpen

no need to turn off the camera in-between adjustments.

Good luck - its pretty easy to perform - I hope this will solve your backfocus problems as well.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #693
Trustee

Thanks Gerald. Actually my camera's BF seems OK. It may be a tad softer wide, but not much.

I'm going to really test it well before trying this calibration.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #694
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
its pretty easy to perform - I hope this will solve your backfocus problems as well.
Solved mine:

http://www.mdma.tv/ex1/fb.html

A crate of virtual beer to you. Sincere thanks.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #695
Major Player

Matt, that's impressive - however can you kindly tell me what is your firmware version of the camera? Is it 1.02 or 1.03 or 1.05? Thanks
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #696
Trustee

It's 1.03.

FWIW, SN 0401953 purchased in the UK in March 2008.
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #697
Major Player

A big thank you Gerald for your patience.

I thought I had a perfect camera but then I had niggling feeling that the B/F was a little off. Have just carried your remedy with 12 charts just like Matt has done {even the patio doors were the same} . The result is I now have spot on backfocus.

I am glad that things are sorting out the EX1 is one hell of a camera.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #698
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
{even the patio doors were the same}
LOL!

As an addendum to this, note that I did the check on Clear, ND1 and ND2 at 720p25. Having spent so much time setting the hi tech chart up, I thought I'd just check the 1080i50. From a bit further back.

Hmmm. I think I just messed up the chance to spot something important. I thought it was off, so I've just gone through every mode at all ND settings and performed a FB.

It may be rather more tedious than we thought - it may be safer to open a bottle of something and do ALL modes at ALL ND settings.

Or maybe it's just the equivalent of washing your car to make it rain.
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #699
Major Player

Matt and others,
I am a little lost fellows - see if I'm following this all...

You are adjusting BF within each camera setup, and within each camera setup - each possible ND setting. Now after setting new BF adjustments - is the camera electronics automatically adjusting the BackFocus according to which ND setting and which camera mode you are in...
Or will you need to physically adjust backfocus everytime you make an adjustment to ND or camera mode or change the battery?

Thanks for clearing things up,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #700
Major Player

Have carried out the auto procedure on each setting, clear,ND1,ND2. All done without switching off camera. When camera is powered down and the powered up again it remembers the new settings.
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #701
Major Player

thanks Bruce...
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #702
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell View Post
Matt and others,
I am a little lost fellows - see if I'm following this all... You are adjusting BF within each camera setup, and within each camera setup - each possible ND setting.
Yes. I've done that, but it may have been unnecessary work over Gerald's advice. I neglected to take before and after shots from the other modes before opening a rather nice Shiraz and going through all permutations. Sorry.

Quote:
Now after setting new BF adjustments - is the camera electronics automatically adjusting the BackFocus according to which ND setting and which camera mode you are in...
From talk elsewhere, we're under the impression that the Back Focus adjustment is digital and uses a look-up table which may not have been calibrated to the lens or may not contain all permutations. It's all conjecture, so my initial FB cycle at all three ND settings appears to be a 'good thing'. The rest of my activity may only be the equivalent of waving a rubber chicken over the camera, but it passed a beautiful evening.

Quote:
Or will you need to physically adjust backfocus everytime you make an adjustment to ND or camera mode or change the battery?
No - I am working under the assumption that you'd have to do a full hard reset to lose this information, certainly not a power cycle. I might re-check if I did a soft reset.

Another thought that passed my mind this evening is that Patio Doors may be the perfect answer, and the 9-12 star charts weren't strictly necessary. Just something with some contrasty lines both in close up (door handle) and wide (patio door). Just pontificating.
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #703
Major Player

Thanks Matt - and long live a fine drink, lovely evenings, and British Humor...
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #704
Major Player

The patio doors are essential. Its the ratio of backfocus charts to glass area that is the key.

Seriously though I suppose the auto back focus needs something bigger to work with. Whether the different settings are really needed is something that perhaps Sony could tell us. Having back focused Fujinon 2/3" lenses for years with just one chart the procedure now developed is intriguing.
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #705
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
Seriously though I suppose the auto back focus needs something bigger to work with. Whether the different settings are really needed is something that perhaps Sony could tell us. Having back focused Fujinon 2/3" lenses for years with just one chart the procedure now developed is intriguing.
Bruce

The key is 'auto' back focus. When you do your manual back focus, you know you want to focus on the chart. The camera's auto FB routine sets the zoom to wide and then focuses on the most contrasty thing in frame. If this happens to be a few feet further away than the now tiny backfocus chart, it is not surprising that the camera gets confused :-)

Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds