DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vignette problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/108433-vignette-problem.html)

Graeme Fullick December 15th, 2007 03:21 PM

Steven,

Not good news that yours is showing in footage. Fortunatley mine is not that severe, but I haven't used the camera extensively yet. Still I like you want it fixed - sooner rather than later.

Eric Pascarelli December 15th, 2007 03:35 PM

Does any one of you want to try resetting the back focus? One Sony dealer told me that it can clear up the vignetting problem (I don't totally believe him). See my thread for instructions.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110220

And even if you don't do it, at least you can check out the hidden maintenance menu. I am not with my camera at the moment and am very curious about that.

Steven Thomas December 15th, 2007 03:50 PM

Eric I saw that.
I'm a bit hesitant. My back focus appears good. I'm not sure how that would fix the vignette issue? Having said that, it seems odd they were given very specific instruction on this. Maybe it will help?

Again, what were the details on how you got this info?

Graeme Fullick December 15th, 2007 03:53 PM

Eric,

I saw your reply on this - but I don't have a back focus chart.
I have just downloaded one from Google, but am still a little nervous about trying it. Might give the Sony dealer a call first.

Graeme Fullick December 15th, 2007 04:06 PM

Eric,

One thing I can confirm - the maintenance menu is there, just as you were told and so is the back focus adjustment.

Eric Pascarelli December 15th, 2007 04:54 PM

Steve,

Hesitation understood. I will try it when I get to my camera, but I am usually pretty cavalier about these things.

The info was given to me by a Sony dealer who got the info in an email straight from Sony. My instructions were copied from that email. The original reason for the instructions were that very early cameras were having backfocus problems - the focus was drifting during zooms - and this was Sony's fix. They also indicated to him that this would fix the vignetting problem, though that was not the reason for them sending the instructions. He explained to me that Sony very carefully adjusted the back focus on the cameras when they left the factory but that perhaps adjustments were slipping during shipping.

While my camera has the vignetting issue, I have not noticed any back focus problems. But back focus problems might be masked by the MF Assist function, which I usually have engaged.

I am always fascinated by the secret menus hidden in so many gadgets we buy, so I am very curious to see what options are on there, and whether back focus can fix or at least affect the vignetting. I am also impressed that backfocus is adjustable using a soft menu (which means there must be some sort of internal motor to do it?) rather than through direct mechanical interaction.

The story that we, the end users, are told is that because this is a fixed lens camera, there is no backfocus adjustment. Clearly there is. I am wondering whether we should effect this adjustment from time to time (like on a 2/3" camera), as a matter of "maintenance," especially after the camera suffers some high g forces.

Steven Thomas December 15th, 2007 05:06 PM

Eric, when will you get your camera?

Also, I am curious about the back focus adjustment. Having said that I may pull out the siemens focus star chart and at least check my camera.

Also, when you go to do this automated test. I wonder if the star chart will need to be in an enviroment where close objects will not confuse the calibration?

Siemens Star Focus Chart:
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...t1.pdf?id=6145

Eric Pascarelli December 15th, 2007 05:24 PM

I learned something about the "focus bullet" chart just by reading that pdf. Interesting.

Maybe a "Backfocus" thread is in order, as all this has nothing in particular to do with Australia.

Mark Kenfield December 15th, 2007 06:29 PM

Well the courier did eventually arrive at the office with my review sample (albeit almost an hour after closing time on a Friday). I'll be taking it down the Mornington Peninsula next week to put it through its paces.

It does look awfully pretty sitting here on my desk!

John Hewat December 15th, 2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick (Post 793026)
My serial number is 200066 -I will bet that yours is within 30 of mine, and that they have escaped the QC vignette test.

You're right - Mine's 200087. Do you think that the later serial numbers will not have the issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 793078)
That's not good news these are escaping Sony's QC.

I don't understand though, because my box was re-packaged with tape that said "OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY PRODUCT TEST - SONY"

I figured that meant that they would have tested for vignetting.

What are we going to do if they say "We tested it and deemed it to be acceptable"?

And what exactly is the fix tht they do? I guess we'll only know when talking to Sony... You say you'll ring Sony - do you mean the repair agent?

Graeme Fullick December 15th, 2007 08:20 PM

Mark,

Can you give us your opinions after you finish?

Graeme Fullick December 15th, 2007 08:23 PM

John,

No I am going to ring Sony Australia first. If they say the back focus correction is the answer, I will do it. If that doesn't work I will ask them to allow a return (very reluctantly), or get it fixed locally ASAP.

I still am not sure however, that the amount of vignetting that I see will be a problem - but Steve's experience says that it might.

John Hewat December 15th, 2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick (Post 793245)
I am going to ring Sony Australia first. If they say the back focus correction is the answer, I will do it. If that doesn't work I will ask them to allow a return (very reluctantly), or get it fixed locally ASAP.

Could you let me know the number you're going to call? If we both call the same people it may add weight to our case should we need it.

You can email it to me on hhewat@bigpond.net.au if it's inappropriate to post it publicly.

Thank you so much!

Graeme Fullick December 15th, 2007 08:35 PM

John,

I will be ringing my dealer first to get the number. As soon as I find out what it is I will let you know.

Steven Thomas December 15th, 2007 08:36 PM

There has not an official response from Sony. We've only heard second hand information from dealers.
I've been in contact with the Sony Techs here in the states, and they stated they will contact me when they get a response from Sony japan.

They called me last week just to let me know they were still waiting.

Serena Steuart December 15th, 2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick (Post 793026)
John,

A word of warning to Serena - it does not show on the LCD which is a normal scan monitor (there is no all scan setting on the EX - a feature I miss from the Z1), but it will be there in the Sony clip viewer, and if your NLE can be switched to full overscan (such as in Avid Liquid that I use) it is very easy to see.

Despite feeling quite non-technical with a cold that's trying to become flu, I've checked out my camera more carefully.
1) it does have slight shading on the right hand side (t & b) at the mentioned focal length range. It is a small fall-off on the waveform monitor and quite confined to the corners. Interestingly it isn't much affected by aperture.
2) the LCD does show the full FOV, as you would expect. Looking very carefully at the LCD I could see the corner darkening, but that wasn't my test of the FOV.

Shooting under practical conditions I couldn't detect the corner problem at all, even with the subject selected to show it. Shooting for chroma key might make it an issue, but generally screens are lit far more unevenly.

I will be mentioning it to Danny and inquiring elsewhere about the technical issues involved. I understand that it is a matter of centering the lens, which I suspect is a very tricky business.

Christopher Barry December 15th, 2007 11:06 PM

John, I emailed Danny and referenced this thread, requesting that the two cameras waiting for me, and DP friend, are perhaps checked by Pro Hi-Tech before shipping. If it was confirmed to be as simple as the DIY back focus procedure, I could do that myself.

Edit: I just read Graeme's reply to Eric's DIY Back Focus Correction thread. mmm, or perhaps, grrr...

Christopher Barry December 16th, 2007 12:30 AM

Serena, thanks for the feedback. Get well soon.

Danny will be flooded with calls and emails on Monday morning.

Paul Joy December 16th, 2007 05:01 AM

I guess that rules out the theory that the 2000 series cameras are a revised batch that don't have the issue then, keep us informed how you get on with sorting it out.

It's a shame Chris has locked the vignette discussion as the subject is going to span multiple threads and be harder to track now, I'd say this issue is far from solved at the moment.

regards

Paul.

Chris Hurd December 16th, 2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 793406)
It's a shame Chris has locked the vignette discussion as the subject is going to span multiple threads and be harder to track now...

The vignette discussion is now unlocked and the thread formerly known as "EX 1 in AUstralia" has been merged into it. About this thread... I am watching it very closely, and it is important for all who are following this issue to understand how this site works. This message board does not work like typical internet forum sites. It is designed specifically to be focused on technical and creative matters *only.* The idea is to show a *streamlined* discussion which quickly gets to the matter without a lot of noise (opinions, rants, etc.) in the way. Now back to the topic at hand... thanks in advance,

Paul Joy December 16th, 2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 793505)
The vignette discussion is now unlocked

Thanks Chris, that's much appreciated.

regards

Paul.

Bob Berg December 16th, 2007 07:29 PM

Mine is looking very much like John's in post #311. (S/N 100297).

The vignetting is minor, but definitely present in the upper and lower right corners from about 10-25MM. Panning with OIS on within this focal range very much aggravates the problem.

I am waiting to talk to my dealer, and to Sony for instructions.

Charles Young December 16th, 2007 10:32 PM

No Vignette problem?

What percentage of the EX1s do not have the problem?

Just wondering if I buy an EX1 am I guaranteed to get a "bad" one?

thanks

Serena Steuart December 17th, 2007 12:53 AM

Not much will be happening in Australia over the Christmas-January period, so might as well keep shooting and really make sure the problem can't be lived with. Shading isn't uncommon in lenses and most operators are able to live with it. My guess (note guess) is that the lens just covers the field and small errors in centering result in a corner or corners dropping in intensity (some will be worse than others); we have examples with shading in different corners. Anyway, here in Melbourne Pro Hi-Tech are not up to full training on the camera and are yet to be advised by Sony of any fix.

Graeme Fullick December 17th, 2007 01:40 AM

Serena,

Spoke to my dealer this morning, who contacted Sony immediately. They were aware of the problem from the US, but thought that the batch we received (2000##) were all passed OK.

Obviously not - but our problems seem far less apparent than the ones in the US.

The dealer told me that Sony had sent a technical bulletin from Japan about the issue which I expect to receive tomorrow.

Hope it is good news - but I like you will be shooting with the camera anyway.

All the best,

Bob Grant December 17th, 2007 02:09 AM

Got a call from my dealer in Sydney asking me to check our cameras for this problem as he'd already had one unhappy client ring to complain.

The camera bought for work shows the problem, at the same focal lengths as mentioned, mostly top RH side. The vignette can be made to move by panning the camera hard back and forth sideways.

Got home and checked my personal camera. Problem looked exactly the same but then I looked more carefully. The problem seems to persist right to the full focal length of the lens but it becomes less obvious. It seems that the vignette goes out of focus rather than out of frame. It's affecting a signficantly larger part of the frame but to a lesser extent, in fact it seems to expand to the point of affecting the whole RH side of the frame and the operation of the OIS significantly brings it more into the frame.

My dealer did confirm that the units in Australia are from the second batch. Sony Au believed the problem was fixed in manufacturing and therefore didn't test the cameras for it locally as part of their inspection process.

Perhaps the alignment has been changed from the first batch to the second batch and Sony believes that's fixed the problem but they shifted the alignment too far the other way, that's just my speculation of course but so far out of 2 cameras in my sample group both exhibit the problem. Based on comments from others who have units from the second batch the results are very similar.

I'm not too certain I could live with this problem. Indoor shots might be OK but outdoors with blue sky covering the top of the frame I think it could be fairly obvious.

John Hewat December 17th, 2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 793913)
...in fact it seems to expand to the point of affecting the whole RH side of the frame and the operation of the OIS significantly brings it more into the frame.

Thought I'd add that this is happening to mine as well. After further testing I am convinced that from the top to the bottom along the right hand side is displying the vignetting - not just the corners.[/QUOTE]

Serena Steuart December 17th, 2007 03:06 AM

Check that out with your waveform monitor. Visual inspection can be in error.

Bob Grant December 17th, 2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 793932)

I'm all for making measurements but how to do this?
As I see it firstly we'd need an evenly lit large uniform surface. That I suspect is no trivial task without a spot light meter to go over the whole surface.
Having obtained that there's then the question of a suitable waveform monitor. I have a hardware monitor that I can use to select any one line but no SDI or HD SDI inputs. I could capture some footage into Vegas however I'm not certain just what the waveform monitor in Vegas actually shows us. I did a quick test using gen media and the results have me confused, it looks like it's the average of the whole frame in some strange fashion. With only black and white I'm getting part of the waveform at an intermediate value.

Perhaps capturing a frame and analysing that with PS would be better?

Piotr Wozniacki December 17th, 2007 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 793932)

With all due respect, I don't think any measurements are necessary to confirm it, if it's there. Evenly lit surface? Just aim the camera at the sky and shoot; if you can see drastic brightness fall-off to any corner of the image, the camera is vignetting.

Finding the actual reason, or determining how severe it is - these are other matters, and indeed require more scientific methods. But I guess it's not us the end users who is supposed to do that.

Serena Steuart December 17th, 2007 05:41 AM

I did use the Vegas waveform monitor which gives a fairly good indication of variation across the frame. However it is an accumulation and I intend to run a frame in PS to look more specifically at parts of the frame.

Eric Pascarelli December 17th, 2007 05:48 AM

Bob,

If you don't have a spot meter, you can use your EX1 as one. Just set up the numerical brightness reading in the center of frame and pan the center marker around your surface to see if it's evenly lit. Zoom in all the way for the most accuracy.

And yes, Photoshop is arguably a better tool than a waveform monitor for looking at brightness across a surface because it allows direct readings in two dimensions, whereas the waveform aggregates each vertical column of pixels.

Of course, as Piotr said, I am not sure of the value of measuring the phenomenon - it's clearly visible once you shoot any reasonably even surface.

Jamie Allan December 17th, 2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

There has only been two reported in the whole EU channel, the discussions on here have made it seem alot worse than it is. No more will ship from sony with the slight defect, they're holding everything while each unit is checked.

Piotr Wozniacki December 17th, 2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Allan (Post 793983)
Quote:

There has only been two reported in the whole EU channel, the discussions on here have made it seem alot worse than it is.

Is it me, or is the above self-contradictory?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Allan (Post 793983)
No more will ship from sony with the slight defect, they're holding everything while each unit is checked.

Please share with us the source of this news - my UK supplier "promised" me last week that I'd be getting mine this week! FWIW, my regular Polish supplier "knew" already back in October they would not get their first shipment before January, or even February next year, which made me order elsewhere :(

Paul Joy December 17th, 2007 11:30 AM

It's probably best that we don't start speculating about the size of the problem again, we won't achieve anything by doing so other than to have the thread locked again!

It really doesn't matter how big the problem is for Sony, we know it exists on some of the cameras purchased by members on this forum and we also know that Sony are doing something about it.

I have just received an email from my supplier with a statement from Sony informing him that all future deliveries to the EU from the factory will not be affected, and that any customers who do receive cameras in current circulation that are affected will have their cameras picked up and repaired free of charge.

That's good enough for me, I would be happy to have another EX1 now safe in the knowledge that the problem will definitely be fixed, and for free!

Steven Thomas December 17th, 2007 11:48 AM

Thanks Paul. I'm sure Sony will do the same here in the states.
That's good news.

Krikor Djevahirdjian December 17th, 2007 12:56 PM

Paul, did you get your camera repaired by Sony?

Paul Joy December 17th, 2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krikor Djevahirdjian (Post 794169)
Paul, did you get your camera repaired by Sony?

No, I returned it for a refund. Hopefully getting another one early Jan.

Adam Wilt December 17th, 2007 01:14 PM

I talked with Sony's Juan Martinez at DV Expo in Los Angeles, and we had a chat about the PMW-EX1 vignetting issue. We've also discussed it since then, and here's what I know so far.

First, some background: The prototype EX1 I had for review in October showed excessive "port-holing" (a very soft vignetting, with picture edges up to a stop darker than the center; the clear center was a circle perhaps 90% of picture height, with progressive darkening outside that area), and the optical stabilization caused motion-specific vignetting in the form of sharp-edged corner cropping, both problems occurring only at certain focal lengths, and only with the lens iris wide open.

My review unit was reported to have a misprogrammed lens, which caused the severe portholing and back-focus issues. I think the service menu back-focus fix described elsewhere on this forum would fix these sorts of things, but should not affect the asymmetrical corner-cropping so widely discussed, which is an alignment / centering issue.

I now have another EX1 for review, this time a nearly-final pre-production model (only the analog component board differs from full production models). This EX1 shows no abnormal port-holing: there is some slightly visible at full telephoto, full wide iris, and if I shake the camera with Steadyshot on, it steers around in response. However, at rest the port-holing is barely noticeable, and it's pretty much evenly centered, with no corner favored over another, and if I shoot a real scene instead of a blank wall, it's impossible to see, as the scene's own detail and variation in tone overwhelms the visibility of the port-holing.

Note that this is *normal* for industrial-grade wide-range zooms; it's certainly there on my Z1, and on the 15x Canon zoom on the DSR-500 I sometimes use, and on the stock Fujinon zoom on the JVC HD100--but, as on my current EX1, unless you shoot a featureless, blank wall, you'll never notice it.

More worrying is the asymmetrical vignetting or corner-cropping many people are seeing. The EX1 that Samy's DV & Edit had at DV Expo showed a noticeable corner crop in the lower right at full telephoto; my current review unit, like many of the ones discussed here, shows a tiny crop in the lower left corner, strongest between 10mm and 15mm, and most visible at full wide aperture. At worst, it only affects the outermost 5% of the image--If I shoot a DSC CDM chart, the darkening only creeps in halfway to the 90% safe area marker--but it is obvious.

And, as others have noted, when you shake the camera, the corner-cropping moves in response to Steadyshot.

Juan Martinez, a "Senior Manager, Technology" for Sony, confirms that some of the cameras shipped have this problem. This is the first one-piece, fixed-lens camera that Sony has done where the lens comes pre-built and pre-tested as a unit from Fujinon, and is then integrated with the camcorder body at Sony. While the lenses arrive bench-tested and approved, it appears not all of them are being mounted on the camera bodies in perfect alignment (having worked on several engineering projects involving third-party components, I can attest that it's easy for something to go seriously askew at the final integration stage without anyone noticing until it's too late). Juan said, "we go over these things with a fine-toothed comb, rejecting cameras even for almost invisible cosmetic defects. So, yes, we're taking this very seriously." Sony has reworked its internal processes to ensure that these problems won't happen in the future. The good news is that the camera is heavily backordered, so there isn't a lot of faulty stock sitting in warehouses waiting to be sold. The stuff currently being airshipped (as of 14 December 2007) should all be correctly aligned.

As to the cameras in the field, It looks at this time like Sony will have a procedure to set them right. Juan spoke off the record regarding the details, so I can't be more specific, but I'll spread the news (as will every other reporter concerned with the EX1) as soon as it's announced. It may take a while--remember the audio fix for the PD150?--but if you have an EX1 with obvious, asymmetrical corner-crop vignetting (not normal port-holing), there should be a remedy coming.

Now, will it make the lens perfectly flat, corner-to-corner, even with Steadyshot on? Probably not: aside from the slight edge darkening caused by port-holing, severe camera agitation may cause even a perfectly centered lens to corner-crop (or at least edge-darken) momentarily as Steadyshot steers the image around. On my current EX1, violent shaking in the 10mm-15mm range causes the upper left and lower right corners to corner-crop very slightly, perhaps 3% at worst, although at rest, or with Steadyshot off, both corners are clear.

If we assume that this EX1's lens is centered along that diagonal axis, we might expect a fully-centered lens to corner crop equally on all four corners this same way: perfectly clear most of the time, but showing a momentary corner crop at certain focal lengths when Steadyshot is working hard. My Z1 does exactly that, and over a wider zoom range, too.

But to keep things in perspective, I've never noticed this in my real-world Z1 footage over the past couple of years; it's only now, when I'm specifically looking for it, that I can see it when shooting a blank wall. When I shoot real-world stuff, scene complexity has (so far) always overwhelmed the occasional corner crop; if I were to shoot a flat sky or other expanse of smooth, featureless color, I might see it, but in all my footage of people and birds and water and cityscapes and foliage and the like, it may be there, but it simply doesn't draw attention to itself. If you spend your time shooting blank walls, it's worth worrying about. If you shoot the real world? Not so much.

So, to sum up: yes, a bunch (unknown percentage) of EX1 have alignment issues causing asymmetrical corner cropping. Sony is aware of this; Sony agrees that it's a problem. Cameras being delivered now are supposed to have the problem fixed, and Sony is planning to fix the problem on existing cameras: details to be arranged.

Steven Thomas December 17th, 2007 01:40 PM

Adam, thank you for this detailed information!

I look forward to hearing how Sony will handle the problem cameras in the field.