Sony confirms backfocus problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #16
Major Player

not both ways

Leonard, I only ran it with the ND filter, and only tested it after it was calibrated with the ND filter. Yes. it was the maintainence with auto flange back. There was a remarkable difference in focus after it was calibrated. I'll now have to try tomorrow without the ND on and wide open to see if the results are also good. Thanks.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #17
Major Player

ran the test again

Leonard, I ran the test again with no neutral density filter and all was fine. So, at least for my camera the only problem was the flange back adjustment. I will keep an eye on this problem to see if vibration/temp. will cause it to go out of adjustment.
Hope your isssue works out.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Just spoke to someone at Sony about FW upgrades. They have no plans to allow users to upgrade. Not even authorized service centers. This is ridiculous. It is possible to damage the camera if it is done wrong, but I don't think I should wait 7-10 days for them to remove a cover and plug in a cable. I've done more advanced procedures on more advanced cameras, I'd much rather sign a waiver than lose my camera for 1-2 weeks. Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with Sony.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
Just spoke to someone at Sony about FW upgrades. They have no plans to allow users to upgrade. Not even authorized service centers. This is ridiculous. It is possible to damage the camera if it is done wrong, but I don't think I should wait 7-10 days for them to remove a cover and plug in a cable. I've done more advanced procedures on more advanced cameras, I'd much rather sign a waiver than lose my camera for 1-2 weeks. Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting a bit annoyed with Sony.

-Sean
My camera that I purchased over the weekend came with the newer FW. Anyone purchasing the cameras nowadays will be getting the new FW automatically I believe.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Well, I just bought mine got it last week and it has the old FW....Not a big deal to me right now because my Camera seems to be working great so far..But I do not know what the new FW update does so it may fix some bugs... It is hard for me to believe Sony expects all customers to ship their cameras back for a FW update when one is needed...Maybe they have no plans of ever allowing cheaper 3rd party SxS cards to work with the Camera after all? Can you imagine the backlog of cameras awaiting a FW update...You might be without your Camera for over a month. Once this news gets out Sony is going to feel some serious backlash from customers. Yes a FW upgrade can possibly kill the camera usually it would not be fatal but would require it be sent to service. Now on the other hand trusting your Camera to the shipping companies each way for a simple software update is more of a concern for me as your camera has more of a potential to get lost or destroyed in route to Sony.

Sorry for my Rant as well...But Sony needs a wakeup call.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #21

nevermind

Last edited by Bill Ravens; March 21st, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #22
Trustee

You really have to look at this carefully. My buddy tested it and thought his camera was fine then asked me to double check. It was off.

The trick is when you go wide, see if it gets sharper when you roll the focus back to 3' or so. Obviously it should not. You should certainly try the Sony back focus adjustment to see if that fixes it.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #23
Regular Crew

how do you check the camera to see what firmware you have?
Adam Forgione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Forgione View Post
how do you check the camera to see what firmware you have?
Press and hold the cancel button and menu button at the same time. Continue to hold these buttons and then hit the SEL/SET button. 3 more menus will show up below the regular menu items. Scroll down to the IF icon. Select that and you'll see your serial number and the firmware version number appear.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I bought mine last week and I have the old firmware V1.03_0351
SN 0101754
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Fixed!

Today I fixed the backfocus problem for myself, just before I wanted to return my EX1 for another exchange.
I did the FB-adjustment procedure once again - but this time I used 12 backfocus charts side by side (actually 4 columns and 3 rows), which I attached to a white wall of my house.
I did the procedure for each ND - setting separately. Looks like only 1 backfocus chart was not enough to fix my problem. The camera was 3m away from the charts - aperture of course wide open.

Maybe this trick will work for others as well.
The sad thing is that Sony could not fix it in 3 repair attempts.
I hope it will stay like this now.

My camera has the new FW 1.05.

Maybe this technique will help others as well.

regards,
Gerald
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #27
Trustee

Awesome Gerald!

Great news man.

Hey, I'm wondering if the firmware v1.05 is needed to have this three way correction (ND off, ND1 on, ND2, on) work?

Adam Wilt said with his camera, only one could be set at a time.
Maybe v1.05 addresses this issue.

I'm hoping Sony actually releases what version 1.05 offers.

Adam also mentioned, when the camera goes wide to make sure nothing but the focus chart is in view on the blank wall.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #28
Major Player

My experience was the same on my friend's camera - 2 (not 3) different backfocus settings. One for ND off, and one for both "ND on" settings.

I'll find out his firmware version.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post

Adam also mentioned, when the camera goes wide to make sure nothing but the focus chart is in view on the blank wall.
I tried it about 30 times before on the same wall (with the old and the new FW), which is plain white, nothing in the view of the wall. The only difference to this time was that I only used one focus chart (Siemens Star) before. Today with 12 charts it worked...
Looks like it needs some very clear targets to be able to focus correctly while being wide open.

cu,
Gerald
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #30
Trustee

That makes sense, it's possible that Sony japan is using a much larger target and field support is not aware of the particulars.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds