Sony confirms backfocus problem - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 28th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #31
Trustee

Back focus before and after pics

I did my backfocus againn today,with ND 1 engaged whilst doing the adjustment. Backfocus now looks better with ND 0 and 1 and 2.
Here's some before and after pics,both with ND off.
The adjustment was done,about 5 metres from the chart. I used the siemens star, only 1 chart. Interesting what's been said here though about multiple charts.
Pic on the left before adjustment,pic on the right after. Both 1080/50i HQ,with Bills pp,with detail on.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony confirms backfocus problem-before-adjust..jpg   Sony confirms backfocus problem-ndoff-after-adjust.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Kellett; March 28th, 2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: more info.
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #32
Trustee

Here's another pic with ND1 engaged.
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony confirms backfocus problem-nd1-after-adjust.jpg  
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #33
Trustee

Paul, what version software do you have?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
Press and hold the cancel button and menu button at the same time. Continue to hold these buttons and then hit the SEL/SET button. 3 more menus will show up below the regular menu items. Scroll down to the IF icon. Select that and you'll see your serial number and the firmware version number appear.

- Don
Concerning the Firmware:

I tried it and nothing came up.

a. Does it matter which cancel button top or back of the camera?
b. The SEL/SET is the only on the top handle right?
c. Camera should be on camera mode of course?
d. When I press the Menu and Cancel on the back either the main menu appears or disappears. Then I press the SEL/SET on top handle and nothing happens.
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Pavlos,
SEL/SET is not on the top handle but the scroll wheel on the back of the camera. Only use the three buttons on the back of the camera and the menu button on the left rear.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #36
Trustee

Gerald,
your 4x3 A4 back focus chart configuration, were they siemens stars?

If so, I'd like to use the same chart you were using. Could you point me to a download?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Paul, what version software do you have?
Old software,mine is V1.02-337

Paul.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos Symeon View Post
Concerning the Firmware:

I tried it and nothing came up.

a. Does it matter which cancel button top or back of the camera?
b. The SEL/SET is the only on the top handle right?
c. Camera should be on camera mode of course?
d. When I press the Menu and Cancel on the back either the main menu appears or disappears. Then I press the SEL/SET on top handle and nothing happens.

Here's a demo i did on Vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/819802

Paul.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #39
Regular Crew

yes Siemens star:
I used this one:
http://www.striemerfilm.com/archiv/p...emensstern.pdf
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #40
Trustee

Gerald,i noticed you put some back focus pics up on the vignetting thread aswell,shall we keep all the backfocus stuff on here or even start a new thread of "before and after" pics ?
Also stating the method used regarding chart designs,number of charts used (12 in your case),distance from cam to chart,wether adjustment was done with NDoff or 1 or 2.
And firmware of the cam.
If everybody who does this test gives the same info it'll give us all some sort of reference.

Your pics look damn sharp,probably the sharpest i've seen.

Paul.
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
Pavlos,
SEL/SET is not on the top handle but the scroll wheel on the back of the camera. Only use the three buttons on the back of the camera and the menu button on the left rear.
Thanks Gerald
Version: V1.05_0405

Both cameras came back this afternoon from Holland. I had little time to conduct tests before it got dark outside.
Backfocus looks much better from what I can see. Nonetheless I will conduct more tests tomorrow morning because it's peach black outside now in Athens.
I will also check for vignetting.
Funny thing is that when I tried to mount on one of the EX1s its battery I could hardly fit it in the slot. Well guess what? Under the battery compartment there is little philips screw. I unscrew it only to realize that it was too long and when it was screwed in it pressed the battery compartment so the battery wouldn't fit correctly. I had to unscrew 11 screws from the other places on the camera to finally find that the long screw belonged somewhere else and a narrower screw should not be placed there but underneath the battery compartment.
Well I guess those people at SONY Prime Support must be in a lot of rush to mix different sizes of screws. Those guys must be really busy dismounting EX1s. That proves that the camera was opened or tried to at least. I don't know if they conducted the back focus adjustment through the service menu, they sure did a screw relocation though!
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Gerald,i noticed you put some back focus pics up on the vignetting thread aswell,shall we keep all the backfocus stuff on here or even start a new thread of "before and after" pics ?
Also stating the method used regarding chart designs,number of charts used (12 in your case),distance from cam to chart,wether adjustment was done with NDoff or 1 or 2.
And firmware of the cam.
If everybody who does this test gives the same info it'll give us all some sort of reference.

Your pics look damn sharp,probably the sharpest i've seen.

Paul.
Paul, thats a good idea. The information is spread over so many threads now. Might be a little difficult to find everything if you missed one thread.
I have to leave for work now (shooting a soccer game) - would you volunteer to open a new thread?
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #43
Trustee

I just tried to open a new thread but couldn't upload the same pics again.
I'll open the thread anyway so as people can start uploading their pics.

Paul.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Here's a demo i did on Vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/819802

Paul.
Paul,

Many thanks for your demo - fascinating to see how the camera does the auto flange back. It also makes it clear why having multiple charts on a flat surface helps; the camera must struggle to get a focus when wide in your workshop with lots of targets with well defined edges as far back as your window then out to infinity. Might be worth trying again if you have a flat surface large enough to fill the image when wide.

Cheers, Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Gerald when you do your BF adjustment with 12 8"x11" charts at full wide do you only have a white wall in the frame? I do not have a spot that is that big a white surface at 3 meters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds