First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #271
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
The Sony press release I got said...

"The new XDCAM EX products are expected to be available in the third quarter of 2008. Pricing is as follows.

* PMW-EX3 – suggested list price less than $13,000
* PMW-EX30 – suggested list price less than $6,000
* PHU-60K – pricing to be announced"

That's where that $13,000 figure is coming from.

Now when the Ex-1 was announced, Sony said it would be "Less than" $8,000. As Craig pointed out, it's $6449 now. So take from that what you will.

I Talked to a Sony Rep At NAB said the price for the PHU-60K hard disc would be around $1000
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #272
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
I Talked to a Sony Rep At NAB said the price for the PHU-60K hard disc would be around $1000
That can't be right.

$900 for a 16gb card but only $1000 for a 60gb hard drive?????

I'm guessing the PHU-60k will retail for a similar, but slightly higher price to the HVRHD60 which is $2k+. So perhaps $2500???
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #273
Trustee

Phil,
I went by the Zacuto booth earlier today and was greatly disappointed I missed both you and Hien. I had to catch a plane home. If you're ever in San Francisco let me buy you drink.

At Hoodman they showed me a little magnifier they make for an SLR LCD. It was very light though smaller than what you would need for an EX-1. I'm hoping itb would work. Doesn't seem like it would need to be very heavy. Of course you wouldn't have the nice viewfinder controls on the other side of the LCD like you do on the EX-3.

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #274
Trustee

sorry Lenny

Not been to the show since Monday. Been sightseeing and filming. If i had known you were there i would have popped by

Phil
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #275
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lester View Post
That can't be right.

$900 for a 16gb card but only $1000 for a 60gb hard drive?????

I'm guessing the PHU-60k will retail for a similar, but slightly higher price to the HVRHD60 which is $2k+. So perhaps $2500???
Prices of flash memory are much higher then prices of hard disk pace...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #276
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post

At Hoodman they showed me a little magnifier they make for an SLR LCD. It was very light though smaller than what you would need for an EX-1.

- Lenny Levy
Hi Lenny,

I've been using a handheld games magnifier along with a Hoodman 400 attached to my Z1's flip-out LCD for a couple of years - it works great!
Something similar to this... http://www.darkplanets.co.uk/psp/psp...rightener.asp?
It provides a much better viewing angle and is easier on the eye when holding it close to a 'shoulder-mount' position (ie, with the LCD only a few inches from your eyes). I'm sure it would work just as well on an EX1.

Although the EX3 LCD/VF attachment is obviously a more refined, engineered take on this solution, it does not allow you to fold-away the LCD for storage (as is possible with my Z1/magnifier). This just leaves me wondering if some revised ergonomics and a removable lens is actually enough of an incentive for me to fork out all that extra $$$.

I 've still got a few months to sleep on it though.

Cheers,
Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #277
Inner Circle

Interesting, Dave. Would you care to affix a photo on this device with your camera setup?
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #278
Regular Crew

Hi Piotr,

No problem, I've taken some quick snaps and attached below...

The first shows the H400 and magnifier alone to demonstrate the good size match. The second shows them attached to my Z1 LCD, with the last pic showing the view through the magnifier. There is a small amount of edge distortion noticeable in this shot (and some CA, it was only £5 remember!) but it really is easier on the naked eye than my DSLR skills can demonstrate. You can clearly make out the visible resolution of the LCD and with a finer resolution LCD (ala EX1) I expect this configuration would provide even better results.

Although these photos probably don't do much to show the true optical benefit of the attachment. Put simply, it has the effect of enlarging the LCD screen while also pushing back the perceived distance (it changes the focal plane for your eyes) - turning the 2.5" LCD into more like a 4~5" one. You obviously just need to keep it clean from dust and scratches (enemies to us all!).

My original posting about this (a few years old!) is here...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...269#post298269

Thanks,
Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
First XDCAM EX3 Review-h400-mag.jpg   First XDCAM EX3 Review-h400-mag-z1.jpg  

First XDCAM EX3 Review-vf-view-thru.jpg  

Dave - Broader Pictures

Last edited by Dave Elston; April 17th, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #279
Regular Crew

H400 /w magnifier (£5)

(bump) Pics now attached in previous message.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #280
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Elston View Post
Thanks for posting picks of your mod. From your pictures, the LCD looks great for framing. What are your opinions on judging focus? Is it easier with the magnifier? Do you find less of a need to use the Expanded Focus function?

I wish Sony would replace that menu wheel with a flat joystick-type controller as found on a Nikon DSLR. Also, I would really like to see an expanded focus function that would allow you to move a box, which defines the area of interest, around the screen. Checkout the Nikon D3 for an excellent focusing function.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #281
Major Player

Amazing, looks like a perfect fit in the hoodman. I imagined it being further from the screen. Does it cause any distortion in the view?
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #282
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Elston View Post
Thanks a lot Dave - I'm getting my Hoodman these days; the magnifier seems certainly worth trying!
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #283
Regular Crew

Hi Gints & Mark,

I should point out this is on a Z1, on which (for me) the expanded focus feature is of little use (not usable while recording).

I can hold the edge of the Hoodman (almost as an eye-cup) against my face with very little distortion in the frame, the slight CA kinda helps to make the image appear more 'natural' (slightly blending the LCD pixel edges). And I think the extra detail in the EX1's LCD would still be visible through the magnifier and maintain enough clarity by which to judge critical focus.

Just like the EX3's revised LCD enclosure, the main function is to make the little screen easier to stare at when the camera is just inches from your nose (although cross-eyed DOPs do make some interesting shot selections!).

I just can't help thinking that the EX3 implementation is not quite as elegant as it might have been (non fold-away), but what matters in the end though, is how it feels to shoot with.

Those Sony engineers are good at picking the weaknesses in previous models to bring about improvements that we all want. Whats more interesting is that I had this one figured out three years ago! (although it was admittedly inspired by the XL2's v/f design).

Cheers,
Dave.

Dave - Broader Pictures
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #284
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
no the ex5 is a blonde
Actually I heard that the EX5 is a redhead.... I mean RED Head :-)
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #285
Regular Crew

Story on DIGG

Story has been submitted to Digg...let's show Philip some digg love :)

http://digg.com/gadgets/NAB_2008_Spa...mcorder_Review

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds