First XDCAM EX3 Review - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #286
Regular Crew

Screen doesn't flip 180 degrees?

I listened well to Philipp's video but I have to ask it again: Is it right that you can't flip the screen to see yourself standing in front of the camera? That would exlude the EX3 for VJ-Jobs.....

Markus
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #287
Trustee

hello. Who said it doesn't flip 180 degrees? I have to say I can't remember but it must do, can't believe they would limit it

I should be getting back soon to do more tests with different lenses, I will check. Also if there are any other things you need me to check let me know,
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #288
Regular Crew

Thanks Phil, at the moment I don't have more doubts. It seems that this cam could be a good evolution for my JVC-HD101.
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #289
Major Player

Phil can you do a comparison between the stock 14x Fuji lens and say a Canon lens that was meant for 1/2' 4:3 SD cameras please? I'm eager to know whether a good expensive SD lens outperforms a cheap HD lens. Thanks
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #290
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Sony will also have an adpator to let you mount their 35mm digital SLR lenses onto the ex3, a bit pointless due to the large magnification factor that will happen with them. I did say to them why bother!!?
Hummm... I'm thinking of my Sony/Minolta 75-300mm zoom that I use with my Alpha 100, that will be a VERY HUGE telephoto! Knowing that the stock lens top end is at 81 mm, that will be a 3.7x magnification. Combining both sets of lenses, you'll have a range from 5.8 to 300 mm, that is a 51x total range. Not bad...

It is clear that it will have a limited use, but for wildlife or things like that, it will be a great and cheap solution. Have just made a test with a shot of the moon made with the EX1 at full telephoto, by scaling it to 370% the moon almost fills the whole screen.

On the other hand, I don't know how good is the resolving power of these Minolta lenses. The stills I take withe the Alpha are great, but pixel size of that DSLR imager is surely larger than that of the EX1/EX3 CMOS.

What would be really great is a 35 mm adapter of the Minolta A lenses with a manual ring to control the iris (and full auto iris, like on the stock lens) and also integrate autofocus control... Just like having an Alpha 100 body with a hole in the back to let the light go to the imagers of the EX3.

Dreaming is cheap, isn't it?
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #291
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Phil can you do a comparison between the stock 14x Fuji lens and say a Canon lens that was meant for 1/2' 4:3 SD cameras please? I'm eager to know whether a good expensive SD lens outperforms a cheap HD lens. Thanks
I would if I had one but I don't!
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #292
Trustee

i stand corrected!! great news

Last edited by Phil Bloom; April 20th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #293
Major Player

I was able to flip around the EX3 screen @ the Sony stand after taking off the magnifier, the viewfinder has a switch to then flip the image. It does not auto flip the image, like the EX1.
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #294
Inner Circle

There will be an adapter from Fujinon that will include the standard lens socket so you will be able to use 2/3 inch cable powered lenses. Don't know when this will be available but there was one on the Sony booth at NAB. Picture of it is attached.

There was also an EX3 with a Canon KH20 1/2" HDgc lens on it on the Canon booth and I have to say the pictures looked really nice with very little CA. On the same display there was an F355 with the same lens and I really struggled to see any difference between the two. The EX3 had a more saturated image and appeared more contrasty but I think this was probably down to camera setup, I suspect the F355 had the stock gamma while the EX3 looked to have a cinegamma and hisat matrix.
Attached Thumbnails
First XDCAM EX3 Review-ex3fujiadapt.jpg  
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM   #295
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Did you find out if good 4:3 SD Lens would work? I'm interested I have a Canon YJ20x8.5B KRS collecting dust attached to an old DSR370. The EX3 would be ideal option for me.
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #296
Trustee

am hoping to get an ex3 again soon to test with my hd 20x canon lens.

have many people placed pre-orders for the camera?
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #297
Major Player

Quote:
am hoping to get an ex3 again soon to test with my hd 20x canon lens.

Phil, if you can manage to get a hold on one, can you pls test the EX3 with a 4:3 SD lens and compare the results with the Fujinon stock lens? Can you also inform us on:

1)the handling of the EX3 once it has a heavy piece of glass at its front and

2)whether there are any issues with back focus (which shouldn't be the case since I believe that backfocus is now done manually by the operator)

I haven't yet placed a pre-order for the simle reason that I do not want to be a free Sony beta tester. Once I see that there are no QC issues like those of the EX1 then I will surely but it. I'm interested in the EX3 as I can now use (hopefully) my Canon 18x with extender lens - depending on your findings.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #298
Inner Circle

Mark, I'd be sceptical about the peformance of the Canon YJ lenses on HD. You mention trying a "good quality" SD lens, but the YJ is not one. Not only is it SD, it's also the budget line of SD, so I wouldn't be too optimistic. You're also going down a size in sensor so the resolution of the 2/3" lens wouldn't be expected to be quite as high as one made for 1/2" cameras anyway due to the size on the photosites (technical discussion had in the past here and elsewhere, a tiny bit beyond my expertise!)
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #299
Inner Circle

I tried a Canon YJ on my F350 when I first got it. The pictures were a little soft and there was lots of CA. I would imagine the results would be worse on the EX3 as with the stock lens the camera adds CA correction.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #300
Major Player

Quote:
Not in Canada, based upon this quote from page-4 of Sony's May 14, 2008 new flash:

"The new XDCAM EX products are expected to be available in the third quarter of 2008. Pricing
is as follows:
• PMW-EX3 – suggested list price less than $13,000
• PMW-EX30 – suggested list price less than $6,000
• PHU-60K – suggested list price of approximately $1,200"

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/files/PMWEX3.pdf
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds