Adobe announces Native support for EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 16th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #16
Major Player

I tested the update today and it works beautifully... until I try to export the movie.

What the heck are the correct settings? I simply want to save it as an avi but it refuses to give me anything playable - usually all I get is black screen for the duration of the clip.

What the?
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
I tested the update today and it works beautifully... until I try to export the movie.

What the heck are the correct settings? I simply want to save it as an avi but it refuses to give me anything playable - usually all I get is black screen for the duration of the clip.

What the?
I am not seeing any export problems. What settings are you using?
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Strome View Post
You can import individual mp4 files or the whole BPAV folder. No need to convert to mxf or ever open clip browser.
Humm i tried to import a mp4 file directly from the BPAV folder, but premiere says its an unsupported file format (or damaged).

Did you do the same or am i missing a step?
Percy Tienhooven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Tienhooven View Post
Humm i tried to import a mp4 file directly from the BPAV folder, but premiere says its an unsupported file format (or damaged).

When I import the entire BPAV folder, Premiere gives a not supported message with ony the .smi file selected as not allowed. Press OK. All of the .mp4 files should import perfectly. When the individual .mp4's are selected, I get no error message.
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

So great that they offered Ex1 support now! Is that the Mainconcept plugin? After I have installed the Adobe update there was still that Mainconcept watermark form their Demo version on my preview monitor. After I removed that Mainconcept software also their logo was removed.

However, I also don't see and settings to export it as Ex1 MP4 file? How can I do this? Normaly I cut erverything I have filmed into shorter parts and export them, before I start working on the project. Often I have record 10 Minutes and need only 20 seconds of that clip. So I don't like to backup the whole 10 Minutes then. Therefore I need the MP4 export function.

Any idea where I can find this option?
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #21
Major Player

I tried heaps of different settings - uncompressed, I don't remember what else. But I got blank screen... Anyone know why?

Or what settings I should be using?
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
I tried heaps of different settings - uncompressed, I don't remember what else. But I got blank screen... Anyone know why?

Or what settings I should be using?
Hi John, just to check, do you have the work area set to match your edited work. Sorry for the no brainer question, but hey, it happens.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Hi John, just to check, do you have the work area set to match your edited work. Sorry for the no brainer question, but hey, it happens.
Sure do.

It's not a no-brainer for someone like me. I'm always the guy who makes those mistakes. Rang a computer company the other day to yell at them for selling me a faulty firwire card. When they agreed to replace it, I looked one last time to see that the fault was me forgetting to plug the cable into the camera.

But as for these exports... no luck whatsoever...
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #24
New Boot

XML Files

Hi,

Could someone please tell me what the XML files are when importing the BPAV folder into premiere, also why does Premiere report that certain files are not compatible, also I must be doing something wrong as I get the red render line across the timeline for all clips.

I recorded the footage in 1440x1080i 50 @ 25frames per second and I am using the SP preset - am I right with this.

Regards
Mike
Michael Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Tienhooven View Post

Try renaming the files extension to .mpg

I had a similar problem with .m2t files in one of my computers. That solved the problem.
Jake Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Again:

Has nobody here an idea how to export the clips as the same mp4 format the Ex1 record? The Mainconcept plugin offerd this, but it allways crashed after some minutes :-(
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels View Post
Again:

Has nobody here an idea how to export the clips as the same mp4 format the Ex1 record? The Mainconcept plugin offerd this, but it allways crashed after some minutes :-(
What I can suggest you, is to follow a different workflow, the end result will be the same.

1.- Import all your clips to Premiere.

2.- Select the parts that you will use from each one of them on the source monitor window, NOT on the timeline.

3.- Save the resulting clips with a different name.

4.- Under the project menu, go to project manager and make sure that the following options are selcted. Create a new trimmed project and EXCLUDE UNUSED CLIPS and rename media files to match clip names.

5.- Click OK and Voila ! New project only with the footage that you actuallly need.
Jake Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #28
Major Player

Well, still no luck exporting the finished product as anything watchable.

Interestingly, PPro 3.2 is on my two PCs. On one, the footage imports just fine and works beautifully (except for the exporting business)

On the other, I need to change the file type from mp4 to mpg for PPro to see it as compatible! After doing this, when putting the footage into the timeline it requires rendering.

However, on both computers, I was unable to see an exported video - it's just a black screen. Also, the Export-> Movie defaults to Microsoft DV AVI - why on earth would it do that instead of default to appropriate settings?

This thing bites. Cineform is worth the money. If Adobe could do it right from the start I'd be so much happier...
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Well, still no luck exporting the finished product as anything watchable.

Interestingly, PPro 3.2 is on my two PCs. On one, the footage imports just fine and works beautifully (except for the exporting business)

On the other, I need to change the file type from mp4 to mpg for PPro to see it as compatible! After doing this, when putting the footage into the timeline it requires rendering.

However, on both computers, I was unable to see an exported video - it's just a black screen. Also, the Export-> Movie defaults to Microsoft DV AVI - why on earth would it do that instead of default to appropriate settings?

This thing bites. Cineform is worth the money. If Adobe could do it right from the start I'd be so much happier...
Hi John,
I am thinking that you have a bad install or some odd conflict. I would get on the horn with Adobe. You may also wan to try a uninstall/reinstall. You should not have to change file types to view in the timeline. Have you tried export > media encoder?
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Hi John,
I am thinking that you have a bad install or some odd conflict. I would get on the horn with Adobe. You may also wan to try a uninstall/reinstall. You should not have to change file types to view in the timeline. Have you tried export > media encoder?
Yes, with H.264. But I don't want to be doing that, I just want plain old AVIs.

What do you think I have a bad install of? the update? or CS3 to begin with?

Whichever the case, what does that even mean? How can an install go bad??

What settings should I be using for correct output?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds