What are you using as a field monitor ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
I have 2 of the 24" Dells and can verify that the component inputs aren't the best. I've already had to return one because of it. Dell customer support was great though. I use mine strictly in the studio. My main concern with using them in the field is the distance you have to be from the monitor to achieve a Hi Def view. You will have to be at least 6 feet back from the monitor which to me makes it impractical for anything in the field. Just my 2 cents.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
6 feet? I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. How about when you're using it as an editing monitor and preview? It would be hard to be sitting at 6 feet from it. Do you mean because it's too big you need to step back to see the whole screen?
Does the color and brightness shifting bothers you, since it's a VA panel?
When using the component jacks, is it still useful to judge focus and exposure or is it useless?
Since it's a VA panel, I'm thinking the LG L246 may be just as good and it's a little faster at 5ms. The LG is a TN panel.
Thanks
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM   #17
Inner Circle

FWIW, I am using a 50" HDTV plasma at just around 3-3.5 feet for my 1920 editing and monitoring (in the studio, of course). I only have to move further back when watching some upscaled SD stuff.

Why 6 feet for a 24-incher in Full HD ?!!
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Sorry guys, my bust. I miscalculated. I quit smoking today so my head's a little fuzzy. Optimal viewing distance for a 24" screen showing 1080P is about 3.5 feet. For critical viewing in the edit bay I try to stay 4 ft off the screen. Anything less I've found gives me eye fatigue in about 45 minutes.

As far as the component jacks go, they aren't that great for judging focus, color is fine if you calibrate well. While not a true broadcast monitor, the Dells work fine for me. For important projects I would want a true broadcast monitor for coloring. I usually judge sharpness in the Sony transfer software coming out SDI before I bring it into FCP. The difference between that and component is dramatic. I may have something not set right though. This system is new to me and I've not had a chance to really fine tune it. I have a project coming up that will be shot entirely on the EX, I'll have a better idea then.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM   #19
Trustee

Well, the Dell has DVI and HDMI too right? Is there a cost effective way to convert SDI or Component to DVI or HDMI? Then you wouldn't need to use the Component IN jacks on the Dell.
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Regular Crew

The TV logic is a good brand. They are considerably more expensive, but you do get what you pay for. The Panasonic BTLH1700 is okay, as is the 2600. The 17 is a bit mushy, it's 720p, and the waveform can occasionally be misleading with its incredibly low resolution. Also, the color is not terribly accurate, and have some problems with uniformity and major issues with off angle viewing. As far as I've seen, one of the best values is the JVC DT24. It's a 1920x1200 panel, good brightness, color, and acceptable off angle. It will take just about any input and will even de-embed audio and timecode from SDI. It does have DVI so you can drive it from a laptop for editing as well. It's under $4000 last I checked. Panasonic is supposedly releasing a BTLH1720 soon, which should address a lot of the issues of the 1700.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM   #21
Trustee

Yep, the JVC sounds nice, but a little above my budget right now. I'm still interested in an affordable way to convert SDI or component to DVI or HDMI. Although I read a review on the Dell where they say the HDMI is not good either and only the DVI should be used for video.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:20 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
I usually judge sharpness in the Sony transfer software coming out SDI before I bring it into FCP. The difference between that and component is dramatic.
I meant DVI not SDI. I'm freakin brain dead today. I'll take comments off the air.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:39 AM   #23
New Boot

Have you seen this?

http://izzotek.com/achat/produit_details.php?id=266

It's a 15" panel with full 1920x1200 resolution and HDMI, component, VGA inputs. You would have to build an enclosure to hold the panel itself, the board and a field battery. But it is small, full HD, consumes little power and costs just 430 EUR (with taxes). For framing and focusing it should be more than adequate!
Atilio Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:43 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I wonder if this is the panel that some new Vaio laptops offer?

But anyway, for a one-man "crew", even a 15" monitor is too big to carry around in field IMHO (apart from very stationary shooting, with plenty of time for set-up etc.).
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I use a Blackmagic HDLink Pro to drive an EIZO CG241W, and it works very well. The pro box is 795, and more than you need for an EX1 since it also does 3D LUT's, 6 channels of audio, and dual link HD-SDI. The standard HDLink box is about $425, and does a great job converting single and dual link HD-SDI to DVI or HDMI, can apply a 1D LUT for calibration, and even has a blue only mode. It does require external power, so that's something to consider when going out into the field. The standard HDLink and a 23" Apple Cinema Display or Dell 2408 makes a great monitor.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM   #26
Major Player

This might be a good interface to get signal out of the SDI port and into a HDMI monitor input:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_to_HDMI.html
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds