Buy an EX1 now (June)? Or wait until July? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Buy an EX1 now (June)? Or wait until July?

Hello everyone and greetings from Alaska,

I'm ready to buy an EX1. I also know that the EX3 is coming out in about a month. My question is not whether I should buy an EX3 instead, but rather should I wait until the EX3 is released in hope that this will lower the EX1 prices/maybe get new rebates or offers? What do you guys think? Phil Bloom, do you have any inside information on whether Sony will lower the EX1 price?

I'm not interested in getting an EX3. Even if street prices would go down to $10K, the difference would mean I could get an EX1 AND the Letus Extreme on Zacuto rails AND have a little bit left for a Zeiss prime or two.

Thanks,

~ Gabriel Florit
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd say it's extremely unlikely the EX1 price will drop as the 2 cameras have such difference target markets. Only time when this happens is when a new model with very minor changes comes out (Canon XL-1s, Sony F355 etc.).
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just checked the price from a major seller in Europe, the price had all of a sudden rocketed up so that the camera alone would cost nearly 700 euros more without any cards than one with two 8gb cards. There must be something horribly wrong with the SxS cards :-) or the pricing... or maybe it´s the website...
I was about to order me one but this doesn´t seem too convincing now.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

if you're not interested in the EX3 why consider it? Why post? Go get yourself an EX1 and some goodies and go out and shoot!

Ha-zaah!
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
if you're not interested in the EX3 why consider it? Why post? Go get yourself an EX1 and some goodies and go out and shoot!

Ha-zaah!
Hi Andrew,

Because I'm wondering if the EX3 release will bring the EX1 price down. If that's the case, I'm OK with waiting until the release happens later this summer. Regardless, I will get the EX1... sooner or later.
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Trustee

I have news from the local dealer that the price of the EX1 will be increased in my country in mid June due to raising oil prices (dun ask me how does it affect the cam production). So I grabbed one 3 days ago.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Crazy. Alright B&H is getting my money tomorrow.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

There may be a few nearly new second user EX1's around when the EX3 comes out.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Florit View Post
Crazy. Alright B&H is getting my money tomorrow.
Sorry to say, I don't think that's gonna happen. See my earlier thread for details, but suffice it to say Sony has 'embargos' or something on the EX-1 and protects it's 'local areas' for certified Sony dealers. In other words.....B&H CANNOT sell an EX-1 to anyone from Alaska. Believe I tried and tried! If you need to know who you CAN buy from let me know, there are two places that I found (after hours of research) that are allowed to sell to us Alaskans (you know we aren't really part of the US right? :-)

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
www.gforcevideo.com
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

get on a plane to NYC =)

In fact, it's actually A LOT cheaper to fly to New York from Norway just to get the camera. It's about 12000 USD here in Norway. Crazy country.

You americans say gas is expensive now? Try here ;) almost 30$/litre

Crazy stuff
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:31 AM   #11
Major Player

C'mon Oyvind, it's not that bad...

An official Sony Europe EX1 costs about $7,650 (€ 4.950) here; that's "only" $ 1,200 more. You could fly to the US for this, but really I don't think that's worth the hassle.

And gas is "only" ~$2.45/l (or about $9.30/gallon) at the pumps here in Holland. Cheap really! ;-)

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyvind Stokkan View Post
get on a plane to NYC =)
In fact, it's actually A LOT cheaper to fly to New York from Norway just to get the camera.

We have the same situation in Canada with Sony Broadcast dealers demanding $7400 CAN or $300 below MRSP. So that is $1000 more than NYC. Moreover these same dealers are asking full price for Sony's Extended Warranty and EX accessories. At the end of the day, even after paying the NY state tax your still money ahead.

So your conclusion is also valid in Canada were our dollar is on par with the USD. Get on the plane, pick up the camera and take a few days of vacation time with the savings.

The other myth that is being promoted in these forums is that the EX3 will be under $10K USD. Here is the official Sony Canada quote, again bearing in mind that non USA dealers are not going to lower their sale price much, if at all, below Sony's MRSP. Sony Canada's official quote:

May 14, 2008, Toronto, Ontario – Sony of Canada Ltd., Canada’s leading electronic and computer products solutions ...

The new XDCAM EX products are expected to be available in the third quarter of 2008. Pricing is as follows:
• PMW-EX3 – suggested list price less than $13,000
• PMW-EX30 – suggested list price less than $6,000
• PHU-60K – suggested list price of approximately $1,200
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Trustee

As an aside, it isn't always necessary to (for US citizens) to purchase out of NY or LA.

Even here in the prairie town of Denver, the EX1 was at a sales and leasing office, a little office suite where I was greeted and treated to full demonstrations of XDCAM, HDCAM, decks. They had in stock cams and all the accessories, catering to pro clients. It was really not what I expected, which has always been internet order or traveling to NYC. The discounted price was exactly the same as the NYC dealers. They told me that Sony has set a limit, below which authorized dealers may not discount.

The Sony Broadcast website has a link for these authorized sellers, and yes Chris, many are DVInfo sponsors.

So there may be one in your town too.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Alaska...

Thanks everyone! I just put an order for a xxx6000's serial number EX1. Should be arriving in 2 days. Yep, Abel/B&H won't ship up here... so I had to get the Sony authorized resellers list and call them up. Better this way, B&H wouldn't give me a serial number anyhow. What's up with that. Not like this is a $20 purchase.

Tripod/mattebox/filters/FCS2 are next!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM   #15
Trustee

Why is serial number relevant? Vignetting issue? I read that the later models also exhibit same problem...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds