ex3, Letus Utimate and Convergent Flash XDR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 10th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Piotr-
Sorry for the confusion, we plan to start shipments of Flash XDR this month and the nanoFlash by 1-Sep.
Mike,

Sorry for moving this discussion from the more appropriate threads for a while, but with Flash XDR shipping this month, I need to know the full specs of the nano Flash, and see some XDR-encoded video samples at 50 and 100 Mbps 4:2:2!

Otherwise, I won't be able to make up my mind between the two... Also, please share some details on the EX1 mounting/connecting options for both products!
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #17
Major Player

Not only that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Neuhaeuser View Post
I think 4 sandisk 8 GB IV Cards are 25 minutes with 4:2:2 160 mbit/s which equals roundabout 400 Euro per half an hour

or, if you are going for 100 mbit

4 sandisk 16GB extreme III cards are 85 minutes with 4:2:2 100mbit/s which equals 360 Euro per one and a half hours.

Sounds pretty good to me.
...I also note that one can daisy chain flash card readers (like Lexar's FW800) reader together and simultaneously download mxf files like a solid state deck.

http://www.lexar.com/readers/pro_udma_reader.html

This looks like a very neat solution. Just need FCP to get up to date with the 50mbps (Sony 422) and 100mbps ingest now.

Presumably you will wait for the software update and go for uncompressed or I-frame at 10 bit?

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Mike,

Sorry for moving this discussion from the more appropriate threads for a while, but with Flash XDR shipping this month, I need to know the full specs of the nano Flash, and see some XDR-encoded video samples at 50 and 100 Mbps 4:2:2!

Otherwise, I won't be able to make up my mind between the two... Also, please share some details on the EX1 mounting/connecting options for both products!
Hi Piotr-
Take a look at the nanoFlash details post in under "Tapeless Recording Solutions" (in this forum) for all the details on the nanoFlash.

We just received some of the hardware this morning for using the Flash XDR with the EX1. Let me get a photo and I'll post it on the website this week.

We just about have the capture and playback to the MXF file format working. I have stressed to our engineers the need to post 50/100/160 Mbps footage ASAP. Once we get the MXF format finished, it will be relatively simply to port to other file formats.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike - have somehow missed that new thread. Do you know the estimated Euro price for nanoFlash yet?
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #20
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Neuhaeuser View Post
I think 4 sandisk 8 GB IV Cards are 25 minutes with 4:2:2 160 mbit/s which equals roundabout 400 Euro per half an hour

or, if you are going for 100 mbit

4 sandisk 16GB extreme III cards are 85 minutes with 4:2:2 100mbit/s which equals 360 Euro per one and a half hours.

Sounds pretty good to me.
Hi Holger-
Just a quick note of clarification. The SanDisk Extreme III cards don't have sufficient performance for 160 Mbps data rates. We are currently recommending the Transcend CF cards. So, here's the revised numbers:

160Mbps 4:2:2 8-Bit I-Frame
Use the Transcend 300X 16 GB Card (US $240) for about 13 minutes per card or 51 minutes for four cards (total of US $960 for 51 minutes). Note that this rate is clearly above HD-CAM quality.

100 Mbps 4:2:2 8-Bit Long-GOP
Use the Transcend 133X 32 GB Card (US $150) for about 40 minutes per card or 160 minutes for four cards (total of US $600 for 160 minutes).

Note that MPEG2 is 8-bit, not 10-bit. We will have an uncompressed 8/10 bit 4:2:2 option coming this fall. You will need four of the 300x 16GB Transcend cards for about 7 minutes of total record time (data stripped across 4 cards).

Please visit our forum under "Tapeless Recording Solutions" for more info.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #21
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Thanks Mike - have somehow missed that new thread. Do you know the estimated Euro price for nanoFlash yet?
Hi Piotr-
Not yet, I'll try to contact our EU distributor this week.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds