EX1 to 35mm - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

another take...

I attended the Sony panel as well, they kept calling me the RED guy because I was asking about Sony pricing strategy for 2/3rd inch cameras when Scarlet comes out ($33k Sony 700 verses $3k Scarlet.) Anyway Brian Carroll confirmed at his talk that they used the EX1 in commercials prior to bringing it on the film set and said it was used for shots in the film, so like you said if they do use the footage that will be very cool. I'm curious to see what the EX1 captured to a deck at 4:4:4 would look like, even with 1/2 inch chip. Remember at the Sony panel they described the conversion process from being captured to CMOS at 4:4:4, then converted to 4:2:2, then to 4:2:0 long GOP to be stored on card. Apparently, according to members on the panel, there is a higher quality pathway when captured to a high end deck. Interesting stuff they brought to the table.
Danny Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
Brian
Tell me about it.

Most of my tungsten instruments are 1Ks and 2Ks, and I've had to put 500W or 300W bulbs in them since moving to the EX1, especially indoors.

Bought a load of smaller Fresnels (100-300W range) and also them tube-shaped cool light bulb thingies (note the sohpisticated technical term here, the proper word escapes me for this second) - they seem to work great too these days...

I did a courtyard night basketball scene with a single 2K high up and to the rear of the court, and four Mylar mirrors as filler with 4 people "operating" the reflectors. For the reverses I had another 2K set slightly lower on the other side and everybody just moved around.

Don't think I could have done that in the good old days...
Lots of cool things you can do these days. Although the larger lights are still used, it's surprising how much light you need pumping through a 4ft x 4ft diffusion frame (or the larger jobbies) - one DP I know of lights relatively small rooms with a 12k HMI going though one of those frames and then uses poly reflectors.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds