What about "real" Rolling Shutter problems ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #31
Trustee

I haven't seen any noticeable issues with panning etc. You need to shake the crap out of the EX1 to cause problems.

Paul.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Do you know what the shutter speed is with "shutter off"
I am pretty sure that it's the reciprocal of the shutter speed, so at 25p, you're shooting at 1/25th.

Last edited by Matt Davis; June 18th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Thanks.

I read on another forum that turning the shutter off does not make the issue go away, just lessen the impact.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #34
Trustee

It certainly lessens the impact.

I think I read the same thing, which is why I'm not going to categorically deny it until I get the time to test it scientifically - which is somewhere between sometime and never.

Honestly, though - with shutter off, I have NOT had problems with flashes from photographers.
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I would really appreciate your or anybody's test as I plan to shoot in 720p60 a lot and turning off the shutter would not be a big deal at that framerate.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I would really appreciate your or anybody's test as I plan to shoot in 720p60 a lot and turning off the shutter would not be a big deal at that framerate.
Okay - so this is just me testing out hand-held 'Candid' style shooting at different frame rates with NO shutter. It's just a quick trip to the park, not a major shoot-out or scientific study, but as a shutterless 25 fps project, I learned a lot (including a couple of good EX1 'grips').

http://www.vimeo.com/1008860

Note if you scroll down and look on the right side of the page, you can download the original H.264 version, which will have less compression.

Interestingly, if you plan to shoot at 60p, panning won't be such a problem. I've shot some test work at 50p and it's amazingly fluid. I've even found a way of down-sampling and re-interlacing to PAL. But I'm so enamoured with the whole 25p thing...

I am chained to the edit suite for the next couple of weeks at least, but may find an excuse to film some fast moving stuff at both 25p and 50p to contrast and compare.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rixner View Post
So after all that I think I'll have to wait until technology improves.
Should I say to clients: Sorry, no flashlights, flashing concert lights or shaky shots ? :)
Peter
Concert flashing lights are done by mechanical shutters. These are not an issue with the EX1. I own Martin moving head lights and the EX1 captures them fine.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Because all my shooting involves waving the camera back-and-forth as it did in Paul Kellett's demo video, I examined my video frame by frame at 400% magnification and decided the rolling shutter of the EX1 doesn't work for me.

Other cameras that didn't work include: Panasonic HVX, Sony PD-170, Canon XL1s, Sony Betamovie II, Cinema Beaulieu 4008s, Red One, Red Two, Red Three, and the Remington Security Cam. It was especially destructive with images made with an Etch-a-Sketch.

I decided to take up painting like Jackson Pollock instead.

:-)
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I'm currently shooting a feature with my ex1 and a letus, and have done several hardmounted driving shots. At times we were running at 50+mph on rough roads near Saratoga, NY and while there was some camera shake at times, there was absolutely no wobble to speak of. I have seen flashes causing partial exposure, but I very rarely end up in a situation where it matters, and I personally don't find it all that offensive. If you're shaking enough to cause the jello effect, you probably wouldn't use the shot anyway.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
I'm currently shooting a feature with my ex1 and a letus, and have done several hardmounted driving shots. At times we were running at 50+mph on rough roads near Saratoga, NY and while there was some camera shake at times, there was absolutely no wobble to speak of. I have seen flashes causing partial exposure, but I very rarely end up in a situation where it matters, and I personally don't find it all that offensive. If you're shaking enough to cause the jello effect, you probably wouldn't use the shot anyway.

-Sean
I had the problem only once and yes, this can happen, not when you are shaking the camera but when it is vibrating, oscilating, at a high speed/frequency. I'm pretty sure you won't have this kind of problem if you have the camera in hand or on a shoulder mount, even in a car. Having the camera attached at the end of a 2 meters arm to something moving (a car) may cause this problem.
This will happen only in really rare occasions. Next time I'll do something else so I won't get the gelly effect :)

This camera is just amazing :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds