Vortex Media DVD for EX1 / EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 15th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I've watched the DVDs last week end to end. There's some very interesting comments.

He mentions never using auto focus (like any pro would suggest) EXCEPT when following action. The shot shows people walking along a sidewalk with trees passing in front of them. The focus tracks the people walking and does not refocus on the trees as they pass behind. I think this is KEY to how focus works on the EX1 IMHO. What people call "slow" response of the auto focus is actually a GOOD thing for tracking action. It stays on the object being tracked and does not attempt to refocus on objects passing closer. I made a comment a while back when people where concerned about the slow response. More common among professionals is to manually focus on DIFFERENT objects but use auto focus to track. Of course one might like both options and it would be nice if there was a "focus response time" control in the camera.

He also mentions "push auto focus" works differently than other cameras and he doesn't like it. Most cameras stop focusing when the button is released. EX1 continues (probably like MF assist which he also doesn't like) and often makes a "bad" decision. Hence it'll hunt even in push auto.

I really really really wish someone would make a training video specific to Picture Profiles. I don't have infinite time to experiment . . . that's why I get training DVDs in the first place.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Yes - I noticed that too Craig - I was holding my breath thinking "It's going to focus on the trees soon ..." but it didn't. I guess if the pan had paused at that point it would have refocused, but it was impresive how it stayed on the walkers.

Next test session I shall try some similar shots and see how long it holds off from refocussing.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #18
Major Player

Any other interesting thing you didn't know and learned on the DVD ?
Is it really woth it when you have already used the EX1 for some time ?

Thanks.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #19
Regular Crew

A good question...
I'm thinking about ordering the dvds and also the dvd about lightning Interviews. But because I am from Germany, there will be a lot of shipping costs and taxes, too... very often I order (movie) dvds from the states and usually the shipping costs are like nothing to think about. But the only companies whicht I found for the Vortex dvds for international orders have shipping costs above almost 40,- Dollars ! For one dvd set !! Can anyone recommend a good (and cheaper) store or website for international orders of the Vortex stuff?
Rainer Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Craig great point with the auto focus. As for Picture Profile DVD that would be very helpful. I am spending way too much time on my settings with a big shoot coming up.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #21
Trustee

Did he also happen to mention the AF really only works well when shooting interlace footage? Of course, this has been true with many cameras.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Mann View Post
A good question...
I'm thinking about ordering the dvds and also the dvd about lightning Interviews. But because I am from Germany, there will be a lot of shipping costs and taxes, too... very often I order (movie) dvds from the states and usually the shipping costs are like nothing to think about. But the only companies whicht I found for the Vortex dvds for international orders have shipping costs above almost 40,- Dollars ! For one dvd set !! Can anyone recommend a good (and cheaper) store or website for international orders of the Vortex stuff?
If the normal DVinfo vendors are out of stock , order direct from http://www.vortexmedia.com/ Shipping was only $15 for several items.
Seems like it does not matter if you order 1 item - or 10. Shipping was the same. < And they have other cool stuff on the site like warm cards and rain covers. > That Eazy Slate is on my wish list too!
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #23
Major Player

They are expensive DVDs and the chances are you will only watch them once. So if anyone on here has now watched and finished with their copy, get some of your money back by PM me and I will buy it off you. Paypal.
Cheers
Steve
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Mann View Post
A good question...
Hello Rainer Mann,

I'm a from Belgium, and I also ordered already several DVD's directly from Vortex Media. The DVD's are certainly worth the price. After shooting video more then 20 years I still learned a lot from their DVD "How to setup, light & shoot great looking interviews". After watching that DVD I even purchased the same kit as mentioned in the video.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #25
Major Player

My review of the DVD-set

Sunday morning, after a short night I have been watching the DVD-set “Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1”, that I received a couple of days ago.

With the coffee can and some donuts next to me I watched the two DVD’s in one piece. Almost three full hours of valuable content for everyone who owns the new Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX camera. This DVD must be in your toolkit, just like a tripod, if you are serious about shooting professional video.

Although it still is a standard definition NTSC DVD and I am in PAL land, the quality of the picture looked awesome on my new 40” Bravia TV from Sony. The DVD structure is very simple and straight to the point, which makes it very easy to navigate.

From the first chapter you feel right at home. The presentation is very well done. When someone is watching the DVD with the camera by her or his side, she or he gets enough time to make the settings that are explained. You are getting lots of tips that will help you master your camera even better after watching this DVD. Throughout the whole DVD-set I never got the impression it was sponsored by Sony. This DVD is completely independent.

The only thing that really scared me was an atrocious crocodile eating Barbie and Ken’s daughter! ;-) Just kidding! It’s a well done animation.

What I personally also liked very much is the explanation about how to archive those S&S cards. It’s a cheap and save method if you ask me.

In a couple of weeks I’m finally going to switch from Windows to a Macintosh computer. A new 8-core Mac Pro workstation with Final Cut Studio is on my list. So, the chapter about Final Cut Pro & XDCAM Transfer was very welcome to me.

For me personally, on a scale 10 it deserves a 10!

Very well done. I recommended it to everyone who already owns, or is going to buy a Sony PMW-EX1 camcorder. After watching this DVD, everyone with a little bit of talent can pick up an PMW-EX1 and start shooting gorgeous HD footage without even touching the manual supplied by Sony. Never expected less, because all the DVD’s and products I own from Vortex Media are great and well calculated products.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #26
Major Player

Doug Jensen did a presentation with Rule Broadcast on the EX-1, and his presentation helped to convince me to buy the EX. I ordered his DVD but haven't received it yet, but really 100 bucks or so of solid training is invaluable and for those of us buying the camera its really pennies.

Vortex cannot be selling oodles of these things and they have to make a living, so I just think its a shame to re-sell or duplicate hard work that they are putting out. We are all essentially in the same boat and nobody wants to have their work sold for less than its worth.

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Unfortunately this conversation was has drifted off-topic, which resulted in a number of posts which hijacked an otherwise great discussion being withdrawn from public view. Just a reminder, please do not hijack threads. I'll re-open it soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #28
New Boot

"Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1"

Just got my copy of "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1" and it's worth every penny

I'm picking up the camera the first week of feb

Brian
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rigler View Post
Just got my copy of "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1" and it's worth every penny

Brian
Brian

Did you buy it from the US or have you found a UK source?

Cheers, Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #30
New Boot

Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1

Hi Nick
From Vortex Media USA
Brian
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds