Vortex Media DVD for EX1 / EX3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #31
Major Player

HI Brian! I am just up the road from you. Was in Poole last night. Will be using the EX1 to film Press and practice at Poole speedway 5th March.

Was going to buy the dvds but too expensive, even if they are good!
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #32
Inner Circle

My own thoughts on the price of the DVDs. I've bought and watched the DVDs and found it quite informative and useful. With all my years of experience I probably could have learned everything I saw on the DVD . . . BUT TIME IS MONEY.

I learned in 3 hours what might have taken me a day or two or three. Given my hourly rate, I've saved hours of experimentation and discovery which means more time I can spend earning income.

It's not whether you can learn it all yourself, it's if you're a working professional can you learn it as fast otherwise.

I'll earn several times the cost of the DVD on the first half day shoot. I'd rather do that than tie myself up experimenting for a day without income.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #33
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
HI Brian! I am just up the road from you. Was in Poole last night. Will be using the EX1 to film Press and practice at Poole speedway 5th March.

Was going to buy the dvds but too expensive, even if they are good!
Hi Steve will walk over and see you

Brian
Brian Rigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Another vote saying it's worth the money. I watched this before I got my camera and I've been watching it, with judicious use of the Pause button, again now that my EX1 is delivered.

If Sony had sense they'd have commissioned this for the camera launch and placed it in every box even if it meant a slight mark-up in price.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Time is Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
My own thoughts on the price of the DVDs. I've bought and watched the DVDs and found it quite informative and useful. With all my years of experience I probably could have learned everything I saw on the DVD . . . BUT TIME IS MONEY.

I learned in 3 hours what might have taken me a day or two or three. Given my hourly rate, I've saved hours of experimentation and discovery which means more time I can spend earning income.

It's not whether you can learn it all yourself, it's if you're a working professional can you learn it as fast otherwise.

I'll earn several times the cost of the DVD on the first half day shoot. I'd rather do that than tie myself up experimenting for a day without income.
I ordered my copy because like Craig, it is not Can I Learn This Myself but rather will the DVDs help me learn it faster. As for the price, I compared that to hiring a trainer or trying to get into a class and it proves to be cost effective.

Also, now the video resides on my IPhone so I have a reference tool I can carry with me where ever I go.

David Schmerin
www.GotFootageHD.com

My EX1 samples can be downloaded from ftp://vegas:demo@download.gotfootage.com
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #36
Major Player

I too have watched the DVD and it is Great! Made me wish I actually had the camera in front of me as well. I will be ordering in Feb.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #37
Regular Crew

EX Purchase Question

Hi there folks.

I've just completed the sale of my Canon XL-2 and am gearing up for 2008. After a lot of consideration, I've decided to make the jump to HD with the EX. Here's what is in my shopping cart at BH. I'd like to get any feedback from EX users who could suggest anything that I'm missing. I'd hate to pick this up and realize that I'm one essential piece of gear. I'm trying to keep this under 10k, but if there's something big that I'm missing, please suggest. Thanks!

- Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
- Apple Final Cut Studio 2 Production Software Suite for Mac
- Kata CC-195 GDC DV Shoulder Case
- Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
- Sony SBAC-US10 SxS Memory Card USB Reader/Writer
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #38
Major Player

If you are planning to use only the battery supplied with the camera, it will not give you much (unless you are not planning to use DC) - so think of more batteries.

Also, unless you intend to download immediately to a laptop, you need more cards.

Relying only on the built in mic is not the most ideal scenario - but if you are under a tight budget then it has to do.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #39
Tourist

ditto to everything what Brian said plus I would buy another charger. You can't charge batteries and run off DC power at the same time. Also, if you want to charge 2 batteries overnight, you're going to be getting up in the middle of the night.

The USB card reader isn't a necessity since you can plug the camera right into the computer with supplied USB cable. Although you'll find that the USB connection is a real pain in the butt to get to on the camera. I think the card reader is overpriced, anyway. The only value you get out of it is not having to maneuver to the USB slot in the camera.

In short, more power, more cards. Remember that your FREE card is going to take up to 8 weeks.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #40
Trustee

You dont need another charger just to supply power to the cam if you have a card reader,you can power the cam with the card reader power lead.Both camera and card reader are 12volt inputs.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Paul, is the 12V out on the card reader's power supply providing the same current flow as the ex1's power adapter?

The ex1's PS outputs 12 V @ 2 Amps
The card reader appears to consume 3 Watts only - the camera is 12 Watts so i'm assuming there may be difference. Probably a lot less

Also not sure if the EX1 is regualted
I used to have a DSR300 and i put a 12 or 13 V power supply on it which was rated at 3 Amps and the camera would shut off. It needed about 4 Amps. On an older camera I had the circuit breaker on the camera went off because voltage was not good

Thanks
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schmerin View Post
Also, now the video resides on my IPhone so I have a reference tool I can carry with me where ever I go.
What a brilliant idea!
Old January 20th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #43
Major Player

Well I thought it expensive but purchased it online today for $99.95. May as well make sure I am completely up to speed. I have a wedding in less than a months time and need to be more than comfortable around the camera.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:12 AM   #44
New Boot

Just viewed my newly purchased DVD copy (from B&H) and am very pleased. 'Tis a useful reference tool. I too have additional copies on my iphone and Macbook Pro for field reference.

Great stuff!
Germaine Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM   #45
Regular Crew

great dvd... several great workflow tips - naming files etc... Great demos and test footage for timelapse and slow shutter. I'd give it a B+ , A- overall, I'd like to see and advance user DVD with lots of test footage of all the custom user settings. Overall some great tips and time saving work flows.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds