DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   MxR Expresscard/SDHC replacement for SxS site now open (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/139485-mxr-expresscard-sdhc-replacement-sxs-site-now-open.html)

Steven Thomas December 15th, 2008 05:50 PM

Actually, the minimum for SanDisk Ultra II SDHC is 15MB/s.

Tito Haggardt December 15th, 2008 05:51 PM

Thanks Craig, duh, i should have caught that.

John Peterson December 15th, 2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 978750)
Actually, the minimum for SanDisk Ultra II SDHC is 15MB/s.

MIcrocenter has those right now for $49.99 if you have one near you.

Micro Center - Ultra II 16GB SDHC High Performance Card

John

Perrone Ford December 16th, 2008 01:23 PM

Alright Ross, just got approved for a couple of these bad boys. Order coming from FL soon!

Volker Ide December 16th, 2008 03:30 PM

Order with paypal

Hi Ross,

I orderd 2 cards and payed with paypal on 14/12/08. What do you think, when could the cards be in germany?

Thanks

Volker Ide

info@tvdocs.eu / TVDOCS IDE FILM+FERNSEHEN TV PRODUKTIONEN NEWS REPORTAGEN DOKUMENTATIONEN MEDIZIN WISSENSCHAFT & KULTUR TV Journalist Volker Ide

Joachim Hoge December 16th, 2008 03:43 PM

With the new possibility to write back to the camera/SxS card (for Mac at least), could we now start to use SDHC cards as masters and backups as well?
At least shorter projects?

Certainly easier to stack and store than hard disks.

Perrone Ford December 16th, 2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 979277)
With the new possibility to write back to the camera/SxS card (for Mac at least), could we now start to use SDHC cards as masters and backups as well?

I can't seem to get this import stuff to work on my PC. Any tips?

Ronn Kilby December 16th, 2008 10:37 PM

At this point it would seem you can only send back to the camera with the Transfer Software plugin for FCP. I've asked Avid folks about this capability and it's "on the wish list." Don't hold yer breath.

Sverker Hahn December 17th, 2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 978114)
With these cards I can avoid the laptop on many more shoots where it's inconvenient.

If I want to shoot 720p50, I would have to use the SxS cards, donīt I? Is it possible to copy this footage to MxR Expresscard, within the camera?

Perrone Ford December 17th, 2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn (Post 979671)
If I want to shoot 720p50, I would have to use the SxS cards, donīt I?

No. You only need SxS for overcrank.

Sverker Hahn December 17th, 2008 09:05 AM

That is good. Thanks, Perrone!

Mark Krichever December 17th, 2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 979277)

At risk of sounding very ignorant I need to ask you guys this question: why we should use SxS or SDHC as a backup storage? Why we cannot use ANY external (or even internal) SATA HDs for this purpose? Today 1.5 TB cost nothing and give you "unlimited" storage capacity. If you wish to increase reliability of your backup system, buy two 1.5 TBs and use them in parallel. The probability that both HDs would go out of service is practically speaking equal to "0". So, what is the problem?

Giroud Francois December 17th, 2008 11:51 AM

because the best backup you can get, is the original to keep.
that was de facto the case with tapes, but with expensive cards, you need to make a copy (with all the risks) and that takes a lot of time and require expensive equipement (a laptop)
if you can shoot on SDHC and keep the card , that is the best workflow.

David Heath December 17th, 2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Krichever (Post 979742)
If you wish to increase reliability of your backup system, buy two 1.5 TBs and use them in parallel. The probability that both HDs would go out of service is practically speaking equal to "0". So, what is the problem?

That's assuming that the only reliability risk is equipment failure, in practical terms I suspect human error in doing the transfer is a far more significant risk, especially if it's being done in the field and in a hurry to free up space for recording. All that chance for error goes away if the backup is the original recording, and as far as economics goes, a download on set workflow sometimes means an extra man - his wages will pay for quite a few SDHC cards.

In regular short term use, then the HDs you talk off are indeed very unlikely to fail simultaneously. But I believe HDs don't like long periods of non-use. If you relied on them for long term storage and didn't access the material for several years, the chances of neither of them working become significant.

Even if SDHC cards aren't used as a very long term backup, their cheapness relative to SxS and P2 means that they may at least be kept as the backup until the project is completed and a master derived, even if they are then formatted and reused. There's no way you could viably do that with P2 or SxS.

Mark Krichever December 17th, 2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 979779)

... Even if SDHC cards aren't used as a very long term backup, their cheapness relative to SxS and P2 means that they may at least be kept as the backup until the project is completed and a master derived, even if they are then formatted and reused. There's no way you could viably do that with P2 or SxS.

As you said "at least be kept as the backup until the project is completed" I do not know what projects (Length wise) you guys are working on, but in my case (TV commercials) project length is usually does not exceed 3 months. So it is not a problem for me to keep my backups on INTERNAL hard drives (that are always in use when my Mac is turned on).
Moreover, those SATA drives are mirrored, so storing info in one automatically is mirrored to another one.
And, by the way if downloaded data in your editing media storage is good, so the same data being stored in your backup HDs, also should be good.
Considering how inexpensive SDHC cards are, one should be able to afford a bunch of them to be available in the shooting field to cover whole shooting period. Unless you couldn't get back to your studio for downloading during the considrable time priod. But If shooting is so long, in this case I assume that you working not exactly on low budget project and it looks like it worth additional investment to buy another bunch of SDHCs.
Am I wrong?