EX-3 Baseplate Received at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Major Player

EX-3 Baseplate Received

Photos coming but wanted to post a quick comment.

Received the baseplate/shoulder mount from Jeff today and all I can say is WOW.

Quick observations:

1) Packed very nicely and easy to read and follow directions. Even I could assemble it (jsut know that I have to go to LED lighting because I'm marginally capable of changing a light bulb). Assembled very quickly.

2) Rock solid. No slipping whatsoever.

3) Shoulder pad is properly formed and comfortable. We will see over time the durability of the foam but that is something easily replaced.

4) Fit nicely with my BeBob CoCo EX battery. Jeff included some longer screws for the rear and I did need those longer screws with the BeBob.

5) I mount to my tripod with a Manfrotto sliding plate (can't remember the number off hand) which I then secure my Sachtler plate. I was able to use two longer screws and secure the Manfrotto plate securely to the EX-3 plate. There is not one bit of give.

6) Color is an anodized charcoal. Not as black as the camera but looks good. Not Zacuto red, but still looks very cool.

I'll post some pictures a little later in the evening.

But to all of you guys who worked on design and manufacture, you definitely have a winner here and it enhances the stability and the useability of the EX-3.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Trustee

Congrat's Ned! Any chance you can post higher res versions of your photos? Or give us the imageshack link?
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Major Player

I took out the ".th" in the image links in the quoted links, which is what imageshack uses to identify image thumbnails. This should allow readers to click and get the large images.

Ned, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; December 29th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Trustee

That worked. Thanks! (nice setup Ned!)
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks, Jeff, for removing that thumbnail code from the link.

Next I'll give it a try with the Zacuto baseplate and rails.

And the real test will come in 2 weeks when I'm shooting in NY.

Ned
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Sorry, but is there a way to make it more aesthetically pleasing? Maybe round out the corners to match the design of the camera? Everything is much too angular. The base looks like a high school shop project, and I personally would be embarrassed to show up with a camera like this in front of paying clients.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Sorry, but is there a way to make it more aesthetically pleasing? Maybe round out the corners to match the design of the camera? Everything is much too angular. The base looks like a high school shop project, and I personally would be embarrassed to show up with a camera like this in front of paying clients.
Zacuto it ain't, but as a first generation attempt its a good one.

The colour needs to be black or a very dark grey to match the EX3 ( but you could spray it yourself). Agree it could be finely tuned to smooth off the rough edges and make it look more pro. perhaps a second generation version will be brought out with these refinements.

But it does the job asked of it and truth be told thats the most important bit. I will be buying an EX3 in the next couple of months, and the will be on my want list.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
It is not designed to be a mirror finish. Jeff made a judgment call (which could change) to provide users with the hardest finish and therefore chose anodizing that would accomplish that. It is a hard, scratch-resistant finish that is charcoal, not black. The finish is smooth to the touch, yet it is not high gloss so it doesn't print and mar like a high gloss finish.

The plates do NOT have rough, unfinished or sharp edges. I can understand that everyone has their opinion in regard to level of polish and to color vs. hardness, but I cannot understand ANY level of embarrassment with this set of plates. They are well-machined and assembly makes clear how well they fit together. I would expect a "high school shop project" to deliver a bare aluminum, unfinished, non-machined set of plates. Perhaps my prototype, certainly not this final product that Jeff has made.

Regarding the color, it is a near perfect match to both my tripod and my release plate - and not far from my AB battery. Makes for a nice set. Black is what I was originally thinking, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw these parts firsthand.
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Major Player

A careful comparison between Jeff's finishing and the VFGadgets piece reveals that Jeff has done an awesome job with rounded corners and curved to match the back of the EX3. Details that are clearly missing from the competition and at one point that was twice price. I guess you have to charge that sky high pro price so that folks don't complaint.

I have to agree with Ted on all points, especially the finish which will stand the test of time. Black is prone to scratch and will immediately show wear over time - eventually looking less than professional. The anodized Aluminum finish will match my tripod and not look at all out of place for my setup.

I will be ordering the DM version within the next two weeks, after I deliver my current project and pay off Santa's visit. From the DM website pictures, I am pretty confident that Jeff's wedge & guide plate will be very sturdy and wiggle proof. Can't wait to take delivery. Happy New Year Ted & Jeff, great work!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #11
Major Player

One of the things I first noticed about the plate and assembly is how well edges were finished and beveled. "Fit and finish" is tight but even more important than any cosmetic or aesthetic is that it is rock solid.
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM   #12
New Boot

Ted & Jeff's Shoulder Mount

As a new owner of an EX3 who ordered...and returned...another company's shoulder mount, I was intrigued by Ted's original post re: the new base plate and shoulder mount for the EX3. I went to Jeff's website (DM Accessories) and called and left a message for Jeff. He promptly returned my call and answered a few questions so high marks for customer service. Thanks Ted and Jeff for being innovators. As far as I'm concerned the price for these products goes beyond materials and includes the initiative taken by those who design it and have it built. I'm ordering it from your website today.
Michael Kushner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Mine was waiting for me when I got back from my xmas trip. Very nice and solid. Light too. A perfect addition to my Flyer-LE setup.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:05 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Got mine today. Very solid, very well made and transforms the camera when used on a tripod. Highly recommended.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:15 AM   #15
Trustee

Do you have a link to the baseplate vendor - Jeff's baseplate doesn't mean much at the moment. And how much does it cost?

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds