Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #16
Trustee

Just about to order the Nikon G EX3 adaptor

I was just about ready to order Mike Tapas Nikon EX3 G mount adaptor when a timely post from Steve Shovlar was posted on these forums. I have some G mount lenses which I am keen to use on my Sony EX3 but was apprehensive about spending £333 on an adaptor, especially as I had already spent £160 on the original mount.

But as Steve's mount is keenly priced at £150 I will now place an order for his mount. At least this gives a new lease of life to my Nikon G lenses.

I am sure that both Mike's and Steve's mounts will do the same job, especially as there are no optics involved.

Thanks to Mike and Steve for being so enterprising and developing kit at a realistic (read affordable) price for us.

Steve's adaptor - Sony PMW EX3 Nikon Adaptor.
Mike's adaptor - Mounts and Adaptors
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Here are two photos of my new awesome combo –Sony PMW EX3 with the Nikon 200-400 G f4 VR. The blue ring is part of the adaptor.
This is the first time the new modern Nikon G lenses can be mounted on the EX3 using Mike Tapa’s new patent pending adaptor. Mounts and Adaptors
You can now have a control on the aperture even with these lenses which don’t have an aperture ring - making it possible to enjoy the quality of the superb Nikon lenses such as the Nikkor G AF-S 200-400 f4 ED VR.
I guess there will be remarks as to the lack of a support system - I have been working with a similar system for nearly a year now and it’s just great. I will need to use a bar system just in order to mount the follow focus.
The blue and yellow rubber bands (modified balloons…(-: ) are used to control the movement of the fluid head without touching the handle.
Will post some footage obtained with this combo on my website in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor-2.jpg   Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor-3.jpg  

Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Neat to see this new series with the aperture ring. What strikes me as an additional advantage of iris adapter is that it could eliminate the flare issues that were being experienced with the excess light bouncing around beyond the small sensor areas.

I've got both types of nikon lenses, and this type of adapter (for me it would be the 1/3" JVC mount) is even more attractive to me now.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Sponsor: MTF Services

Sean.

There is no iris in the adaptor.
The blue ring on both this adaptor and the 1/3" version adjusts the iris of the lens.

But, having said that, you have given me an idea!!

Cheers
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #20
Major Player

Ofer

Are you happy with hanging the camera off the lens as shown in your pictures above?

I was thinking of two areas of concern...

1. the lens mount handling the torque

2. the vibration or shake transmitted through the brace to the lens, especially on extreme telephoto

Did you try the camera mounted to the tripod? I would think the lens weighs less than the camera and would provide less torque to the mount
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tapa View Post
Sean.
There is no iris in the adaptor.
The blue ring on both this adaptor and the 1/3" version adjusts the iris of the lens.
But, having said that, you have given me an idea!!
Cheers
Aaaha. That makes much more sense. I was thinking it didn't seem quite right the way I was thinking about it.
I'm not sure if anyone ever tried masking the excess light coverage around the sensor which seemed responsible for the occassional internal flare issues with the 1/3" sensor/nikon adapters.
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
I'm not sure if anyone ever tried masking the excess light coverage around the sensor which seemed responsible for the occassional internal flare issues with the 1/3" sensor/nikon adapters.
I have made a Nikon adapter for G lenses that incorporates a grooved baffle with the intention of avoiding flare issues. It was also anodised and dyed black. So far I have had no flare issues, if I do I will try flat black paint.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor-_dsc1056-version-2.jpg  
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Ofer

Are you happy with hanging the camera off the lens as shown in your pictures above?

I was thinking of two areas of concern...

1. the lens mount handling the torque

2. the vibration or shake transmitted through the brace to the lens, especially on extreme telephoto

Did you try the camera mounted to the tripod? I would think the lens weighs less than the camera and would provide less torque to the mount
Several other people have already asked Ofer that question in another thread! It does look a bit dodgy, but he's happy with it and he's obviously knows what he's doing! If it was me I'd definitely want some support though.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:25 AM   #24
Major Player

There's an awful lot of trust going onto Ofers lens support mount. If he trusts it fair enough, though something like a Zacuto base plate with 15mm rods under the camera, with that large lens supported by a rod mount would be more secure IMO.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
I have made a Nikon adapter for G lenses that incorporates a grooved baffle with the intention of avoiding flare issues. It was also anodised and dyed black. So far I have had no flare issues, if I do I will try flat black paint.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/images/attach/jpg.gif
Alistair - nice move! Looks like a practical solution! I gather you just made this for yourself personally...
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I just received one of Steve's adapters and I have to say it's very nicely made considering the price.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #27
Major Player

Thanks to all of you who gave me the good advice regarding the support system - you were right of course.

No damage was caused to either my lenses or to the camera's lens mount but I guess it wasn't such a healthy situation to work without a support.

Here is the simple but effective support I have been using in the last couple of months.
You can also see the whole setup including the Flash XDR.

This is such a great forum - thank you all !

Regards,

Ofer Levy Photography
Attached Thumbnails
Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor-camera-support-side-view.jpg   Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor-camera-base-support.jpg  

Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor-set-up_filtered.jpg  

Last edited by Ofer Levy; June 17th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Ofer, that's awesome. Very similar to what I will be doing too. I've got Mike Tapa's long lens support and was one of the first to buy his ex3 to Nikon adapters----but I've been holding off for some dumb reason to buy the EX3. I got worried by some of the talk out there about long lenses and skew concerns at high magnification and in helicopters. However, you have mentioned good success (with good tripod of course) and a few others have as well. So, I'm ready to bite the bullet. I was hoping to hold out for Scarlet, but the EX3 should be fine for now (Scarlet a second camera :) Plus, I'm missing out on getting wildlife footage lately---it is cruel to be in the field and see so much but no camera. Thanks for providing some encouragement. I'll try to keep in touch and post some footage later this summer/fall---as long as everyone doesn't mind. I could use some critique as I have been primarily a still shooter. Hoping to use my big Gitzo 1548 with this rig---just need to find a good head for it. Have a Wimberley but can't imagine how I could mount an EX3 to it and be effective. I'll be shooting with the stock lens, and then my Nikkors---300mm f/4, 500mm f/4 P, and likely the 80-200mm f2.8, unless the 80-400 is worth getting (probably too slow). Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.
Steve Harryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harryman View Post
Ofer, that's awesome. Very similar to what I will be doing too. I've got Mike Tapa's long lens support and was one of the first to buy his ex3 to Nikon adapters----but I've been holding off for some dumb reason to buy the EX3. I got worried by some of the talk out there about long lenses and skew concerns at high magnification and in helicopters. However, you have mentioned good success (with good tripod of course) and a few others have as well. So, I'm ready to bite the bullet. I was hoping to hold out for Scarlet, but the EX3 should be fine for now (Scarlet a second camera :) Plus, I'm missing out on getting wildlife footage lately---it is cruel to be in the field and see so much but no camera. Thanks for providing some encouragement. I'll try to keep in touch and post some footage later this summer/fall---as long as everyone doesn't mind. I could use some critique as I have been primarily a still shooter. Hoping to use my big Gitzo 1548 with this rig---just need to find a good head for it. Have a Wimberley but can't imagine how I could mount an EX3 to it and be effective. I'll be shooting with the stock lens, and then my Nikkors---300mm f/4, 500mm f/4 P, and likely the 80-200mm f2.8, unless the 80-400 is worth getting (probably too slow). Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.
Hi Steve,

The EX3 is the way to go IMO. Just download the sample clip I shot from the Convergent-Design (Flash XDR) website and you can see for yourself.
I am thrilled with this camera and its performance when used with long Nikon lenses.
The stock lens is not that great but there is no real alternative for wide angle shots as well as the fact that it is the only lens to work automatically. (as far as I know)
You will need the 80-200 f2.8 and it is a good lens - I often use it.
I don't know the 80-400 but you will have to have a long zoom. I use the 200-400 f4 VR G which is fantastic but the 80-400 might be fine as well. Don;t worrry about being too slow - shooting at f5.6 to f11 is fine IMO.
I use the Miller arrow 25 fluid head and I am very happy with it - the WImberley is not for video work as I own one and tried...(-:

Drop me an email if you need more info,
Cheers mate,

Ofer Levy Photography
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #30
Inner Circle

The stock lens is pretty good IMHO. When you start putting $30k broadcast HD lenses on the EX3 and find you can tell the difference in image quality for the majority of shots it says a lot about the EX3/EX1 lens. Sure it's not perfect, but it does a good job for the money.

When the NanoFlash arrives (not long now) this will be the final piece in the jigsaw. While the FlashXDR is a great piece of kit, it's just too big for my liking, I think the Nano is better suited to the EX. The availability of adapters for various lenses, whether it's 2/3" HD or 35mm lenses direct or via the large number of 35mm DoF adapters now tailored for the EX. The EX3 can be the core of a remarkably flexible camera system at a price/quality point never seen before.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds