Nikon G to Sony PMW-EX3 adaptor - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The stock lens is pretty good IMHO. When you start putting $30k broadcast HD lenses on the EX3 and find you can tell the difference in image quality for the majority of shots it says a lot about the EX3/EX1 lens. Sure it's not perfect, but it does a good job for the money.

When the NanoFlash arrives (not long now) this will be the final piece in the jigsaw. While the FlashXDR is a great piece of kit, it's just too big for my liking, I think the Nano is better suited to the EX. The availability of adapters for various lenses, whether it's 2/3" HD or 35mm lenses direct or via the large number of 35mm DoF adapters now tailored for the EX. The EX3 can be the core of a remarkably flexible camera system at a price/quality point never seen before.
I agree the Flash XDR is a bit big to mount on the EX3 but I always use a tripod and mount the Flash XDR on the tripod so there is no problem. The NanoFlash would be the ideal solution for most users in the field.I can see a significant difference in quality between the stock zoom lens and all my Nikon lenses, however, I don't know whether there is an alternative which is wide enough to replace the stock lens.
I consider getting the Nikon 12-24 f4 or Tokina 11-16 f2.8 for wide angle shots but with the 5.4 crop factor it won't be that wide.
I also agree with you that the image quality/price of the EX3 is exceptional. Using it with the Flash XDR/NanoFlash which gives you 100 Mbs and even more as opposed to a max of 35Mbs of the EX3 - takes it to the next level IMO.
Cheers,
http:Ofer Levy Photography
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #32
Trustee

Try to borrow a 12-24mm lens to try it out first, or just pop into your local camera store and ask to mount it on your EX3. I think you will be dissapointed with the results.

IMHO lenses from 85mm through to 300mm work best. I will post a review of Mike's and Steve's adaptor shortly. Both have their good and bad points and both do an excellent job with Nikon lenses.
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I have to agree with Alister re the stock lens, I think it's really good.
I tested it against some of the best nikons ever made (55 f2.8 micro, 105 f2.5 and 17-35 f2.8AF) and the stock lens was better than all of them - much to my surprise.
It also handles superbly with the manual focus, zoom and iris all being smooth and sweet
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I tested it against some of the best nikons ever made (55 f2.8 micro, 105 f2.5 and 17-35 f2.8AF) and the stock lens was better than all of them - much to my surprise.
Steve
I would get your Nikon lenses seen to, the 55 and 105 should totally outperform the stock lens - at least my lenses do. Especially when it comes to Chromatic aberations.

I also agree that the stock lens is superb and obviously it is far more versatile than a fixed focal lenght lens.
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Nothing wrong with my stills lenses AFAIK, they're great on my DSLR. Again, I was really surprised, I assumed the Nikons would be better, just a question of by how much.
Can you do some side-by-sides for us to see? I may have mine somewhere still.
Steve
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #36
Trustee

Here is a short clip using a variety of Nikkors (Old series). I will be posting a full review of Mike's and Steve's adaptors asap.

Sony EX3 Nikon mount
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #37
Major Player

Hi Vincent, this is an interesting clip. I feel it is not that easy to get the right impression by watching it though. I believe the way to do this kind of comparison is to show the two images side by side on a split screen. In some of your shots the exposure wasn't the same so it is really not easy to judge the picture quality (I assume this is what you were trying to show? )
Another point which is worth mentioning IMO is that the mentioned Nikon to EX3 adaptors dont effect the picture quality in any way as there is no glass in them.
Last thing is that you can easily eliminate the vibrations seen in some of the clips by using a rubber band attached to the handle. I use the Nikon 600 f5.6 and even the Nikon 800 f8 on the EX3 and there are no vibrations as I never touch the fluid head's handle with my hand - always throught the rubber band. Check out this clip Lesser Kestrel, Sony PMW EX3, Nikon 600 f5.6 on Vimeo
Cheers,
Ofer
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #38
Trustee

Ofer,

This clip was put together in a couple of hours when I got the first version of Mike Tapa's EX mount. I now have the second version of both Mike's and Steve's mounts and will do a side by side comparison (filming over the weekend). You are quite right there are no optics in the mounts, so the results will be identical. However, there is a world of difference in the way the two mounts handle, both have their good and bad points - as usual my reviews are based on the product's capabilities, without influence from the manufacturer.

I will also include some frame grabs comparing the Stock lens agains the Nikkors.

I used a fixed aperture of F8 for the exposures on the clip, I too was surprised how much variation there was. I will test for this again, maybe I just got it wrong (at least I hope that's the case).

Thanks for the tip on vibration reduction, I will give this a go.
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Ofer,

This clip was put together in a couple of hours when I got the first version of Mike Tapa's EX mount. I now have the second version of both Mike's and Steve's mounts and will do a side by side comparison (filming over the weekend). You are quite right there are no optics in the mounts, so the results will be identical. However, there is a world of difference in the way the two mounts handle, both have their good and bad points - as usual my reviews are based on the product's capabilities, without influence from the manufacturer.

I will also include some frame grabs comparing the Stock lens agains the Nikkors.

I used a fixed aperture of F8 for the exposures on the clip, I too was surprised how much variation there was. I will test for this again, maybe I just got it wrong (at least I hope that's the case).

Thanks for the tip on vibration reduction, I will give this a go.
Thanks Vincent, well done, looking forward to see your findings.
Regards,
Ofer
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #40
Regular Crew

These adapter rings are quite interesting. Has anyone used one on a PMW-350? Is back-focus not a concern since there is no zoom-through? I am personally more interested in macro capabilities as opposed to 1,000 mm shots.

Patrick McLoad
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Back focus is not really relevant if you meaning holding focus while zooming, as with stills lenses they never hold anyway as they're not designed to. You'll always just use a zoom as a variable prime.
Steve
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve.....I was thinking along those same lines. But as you know, strange things begin to happen the further away the back element is from the image sensor. But if it was problematic, then I guess they wouldn't be selling these either.

Patrick McLoad
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds