Native editing of EX files in FCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM   #16
Major Player

I always import the clips from the ex1 directly with xdcam transfer. What's the benefit of keeping the bpav-folders? If I really would need the mp4-files again, I could get those with FCP through export->SonyXDCAM.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
I always import the clips from the ex1 directly with xdcam transfer. What's the benefit of keeping the bpav-folders?
It is always best to import with the XDCAM EX Clip Browsing software because it can be set to verify the data. This means a slower transfer, but it is much safer. The XDCAM Transfer software does not do this.

The benefit of keeping the BPAV structure is that it means you are safer to transfer between computers and systems. For example I have an edit that i made on Vegas a couple of years ago that I would like to transfer to FCP. But FCP cannot take MXF files directly so everything is a bit of a mess. But one of these plugins allows me to read MXF files directly onto the FCP timeline.

Now with the BPAV structure you will be more easily able to transfer your edits to a different machine at a later date. But also because transferring with the clip browser before you use the XDCAM transfer software is safer it saves you from having double your hard drive space taken up.

You can keep on using XDCAM Transfer alone, but as others here have found it is much safer to use the verified transfer from the Clip Browser first.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Major Player

Dave--If you're using xdcam transfer, you can rename the clips in its logging window .

Simon: Can you rundown that alternative find method--I can get it to find everything on the drive, but not within the CLPR folder. I was able to find anything in the clpr folder using "name" and the find function, but sounds like your way could be simpler. This could also be a way to rename using automator, before ingesting into fcp, but it would depend on whether or not moving all the mp4's to a folder created dupes (in which case the whole point of the plugin is defeated) .

Would be much easier if there's a way to bulk rename in fcp.

I can see where the Color issue would be big if that were part of your workflow. Altho, I guess you could do a conform and go back to your original movs before going to Color, but only, I'm guessing, if you kept your original file names!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
I can get it to find everything on the drive, but not within the CLPR folder. I was able to find anything in the clpr folder using "name" and the find function, but sounds like your way could be simpler.
Yeah. Open the Finder in OS X and highlight the CLPR folder or parent folder of the CLPR folder. Now type "mp4" without the quotation marks into the search field at the top of the Finder window.

This will now list all the mp4 files on that drive. However if you look at the top of the search results you will see "Search: This Mac "MyFolder"" (with MyFolder being the name of the folder that you highlighted before you did the search). simply click on "MyFolder" and the search results will list only the MP4 files in your chosen folder. You can now highlight them and drag them into the FCP bin.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chandler View Post
Would be much easier if there's a way to bulk rename in fcp.
Mike,

If you have FCP, then you must have Photoshop. If you have Photoshop, then you must have Adobe Bridge. Bridge is one of the most under rated software programs there is. I always have Brdige open while I'm editing and use it to browse/organize all my clips.

One thing Bridge does very well is to rename files. It's really easy, offers lots of options, and it's fast.

Try using Bridge to rename your clips.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! So, I imagine, if I am using shot put and backing up the full bpav folder to another drive I am protected. Which brings me back to media quality. The .mov files I have created with ex transfer and am using in fcp are as good as what left my sxs card?
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM   #22
Trustee

The big problem I'm having, having only just licensed it, is that even though I have rebooted FCP still only allows me 30 sec clips.

The email I got when I bought the license states to look for "READM-CalibratedQuickRefresh.pdf" for instructions on how to solve this, but there is no such file anywhere on my hard drive.

Anyone know how I can do this refresh?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
even though I have rebooted FCP still only allows me 30 sec clips.
Simon--Calibrated is packaging the QuickRefresh with the download of the mp4 plugin now, but maybe you got it before they started doing it. The alternative method they suggest is:

"...still only show 30 seconds of duration. This is due to the fact that FCP will "remember " the duration of an imported file ...To correct this, you will need to remove the MXF and/or MP4 Files from your FCP project and then save and close your FCP project, and then re-strart FCP and then re-import the MXF and/or MP4 Files into a new FCP Project."

Guess that's why they started handing out the Refresher.

Haven't got to trying out the find function yet, but will get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
One thing Bridge does very well is to rename files. It's really easy, offers lots of options, and it's fast.Try using Bridge to rename your clips.
I am definitely going to look into this,Doug. Use of it might definitely be worth a tutorial to add to your ex3 biz--I'd get one. Always looking for ways to make organizing more streamlined and was intrigued by your earlier remarks on it.

What I love about this forum is I'm getting help from two guys who don't even like this plugin.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Trustee

Thanks Mike. I will download the newer version and give that go.

I agree with Doug about Adobe Bridge. It is an astoundingly cool way to catalogue clips, add metadata etc.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herman View Post
Thanks guys! So, I imagine, if I am using shot put and backing up the full bpav folder to another drive I am protected. Which brings me back to media quality. The .mov files I have created with ex transfer and am using in fcp are as good as what left my sxs card?

In short, Dave, yes, but I'll leave it to the more technically knowledgeable to tell you why. Here's a graf that Craig wrote a while back on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Joe, I think you're a bit confused about the technology and your workflow.

The EX records the files in MP4. On Mac you can rewrap them to MOV for Final Cut Pro in XDCAM Transfer Tool. Many other NLEs use MXF and ClipBrowser can rewrap to MXF for NLEs. In addition some NLEs can use the MP4 directly.

Those MP4 files can be used in any NLE as long as you rewrap them to whatever the NLE needs. There is no encoding. It's simply a rewrap.

If you need to move an editing sequence from FCP to an NLE that does not handle MOV, FCP can save your timeline as MP4. Again it's just a wrapper. That MP4 can be moved to an MXF based NLE by using ClipBrowser to rewrap.

Those MP4 camera masters are just that, camera masters. You can use those, with the appropriate wrapper in multiple NLEs. MOV, MXF, native MP4, as required by the NLE.

In short, SAME FILE, DIFFERENT WRAPPER.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #26
Trustee

Hmm. I've tried the refresh but it doesn't appear to be working.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #27
Major Player

Did you try the alt method of #7 (vs 4,5,6)?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #28
Major Player

And I've got a "hmm" back at you.

When I'm doing the find, it says Search This Mac , but no folder is given. There's a folder icon before Search this Mac, but clicking on it does nothing. It doesn't say CLPR or anything,and doesn't change no matter which folder on the tree I highlight.

Below Search This Mac on a different pane, I can switch between This Mac and my Hard Drive and between Contents vs. File Name, and then in yet another pane below that, I can choose on a pulldown menu between Kind, Last Opened, etc including Others, where there are a whole host of options, but Folder isn't one of them .

Any suggestions? (OSX 10.5.6)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
When I'm doing the find, it says Search This Mac , but no folder is given.
Did you make sure to highlight the folder first? In the attached image I highlighted my root folder for the card (named "Fordhall Farm"). The BPAV and CLPR folders are contained within this folder.

I managed to sort my issue out. Although I have encountered another drawback of this plugin. When exporting a reference .mov for compressor, because FCP doesn't really natively handle mp4 files it has to render the whole timeline even if you uncheck "Make movie standalone".
Attached Thumbnails
Native editing of EX files in FCP-picture-1.png  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi Simon,

You shouldnt have to export a QT Ref for Compressor - our plugin should allow you to use the MP4 files in Compressor too. Is it not?

Cheers,
Greg
Greg Booth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds