Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM   #16
Sponsor: Westside AV

EX1 Strong Plate now available with wing for NanoFlash

I will be shipping the first wing specially made for Nano next week.

By request this one will make the Nano face forward so the Nano can easily be seen from the back of camera, and it will be tilted 30° forward.

I will post photos when it is done. All aluminum parts will now be powder coated black.

I think this type of plate really solves a lot of problems with hanging gear on smaller cameras. Instead of loading the camera's already marginal mounting plate, gear is attached to the much more rugged plate, and the camera itself is mounted much more securely.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Inner Circle

While I'm initially interested in your plates for a probably Nanoflash purchase, I would also like to see something that would accomodate the Nano on one side and wireless receivers on the other. When I'm not using a shoulder mount or tripod, you would laugh at where the wireless receivers sit.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM   #18

Yes Gints,

I agree that is what I would want myself. And that was my original idea for the Nano plate.

I like the idea of facing the Nano to the back of the camera and tilting it down a little, it will be very easy to also allow for a mount plate for a wireless mic.

I have ordered an EX1R and I plan to make Nano and mic plates for that.

I like any feedback from all of you out there. Any other uses for "wings" etc.

If you contact me, we can discuss your idea and I can make a prototype usually in a day or two.

I will be posting photos here of any new versions.

olof@westsideav.com
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:41 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Love 'em

I bought two and they are really great safety additions to my EX1's. Thank Olof and Sharyn.
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Olof...

It's not clear as to how the plate is any better than using the EX1's existing 1/4" tripod mount.

Are there other attachment points besides the camera's existing 1/4" tripod mount which is held in place by four tiny screws?

A photo or two would be a great help.

For now I have the back end of the camera held down with a nylon strap. When I have the camera attached to a shoulder mount and wireless receivers, the strap firmly holds the back of the camera onto the shoulder mount, and prevents any leverage from being applied to the small tripod mount when I pick the camera up by the top handle.
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:50 AM   #21
Major Player

Olof,

The photos show the product but not how it is attached to the camera. An "exploded" assembly drawing would be a lot more clear.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM   #22

I am attaching a drawing of the basic plate viewed from the bottom. The drawing is not to scale.

The added strength and rotational stability is achieved by the 3 longer 2mm screws that run through the new plate and through existing plastic on the EX1 bottom and attaches to Cameras internal metal frame.

In addition by adding "wings" to the plate the stress of the added weight is transferred to the plate directly, not adding stress to the weak existing plate.

These wings can hold mic receivers, NanoFlash, external monitor, rails for matte box or even a teleprompter.
Attached Thumbnails
Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now-ex1platedrwg.png  
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Yes Gints,

I agree that is what I would want myself. And that was my original idea for the Nano plate.

I like the idea of facing the Nano to the back of the camera and tilting it down a little, it will be very easy to also allow for a mount plate for a wireless mic.

I have ordered an EX1R and I plan to make Nano and mic plates for that.

I like any feedback from all of you out there. Any other uses for "wings" etc.

If you contact me, we can discuss your idea and I can make a prototype usually in a day or two.

I will be posting photos here of any new versions.

olof@westsideav.com
I like the idea of the Nano facing to the back of the camera but am having a hard time visualizing this - will have to wait until you post your photos. In any type of mounting of the Nano, I would be interested in something that wouldn't have to be disassembled everytime you put it into your camera bag for storage. That is the main reason I like my QRPRO2 setup - I can keep the battery and Nano always hooked up to the camera without any disassembling and it fits well in my Petrol bag.

If the new shoulder mount assembly that attaches to the bottom of the EX1(r) looks good (it was shown in a video at the Paris show) then I could get rid of the QRPro 2 and my shoulder mount and have a more compact unit as well as lose several pounds of extra weight.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM   #24
Trustee

Olof let us all know when the black ones are ready, i definitley interested in one.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:15 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Olof is building the bottom plate with the Nano setup facing aft for me. I look forward to the added fasteners holding the camera to the bottom plate while on our gyro system. With the current single fastener attachment we have had some movement that is not good for the picture or the camera. The added support will be much appreciated. Also the nano at 30 deg angle will work well for Tripod and Gyro setup. Currently I have the Nano on a monitor mount.

Will post pictures of the setup and a review on my site after the first flight next week.

We have also discussed a Nano mount on the PMW-350 which I have on pre-order with Able.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Olof...

Thanks for the illustration. Now it makes more sense. I'm thinking the total of six to seven small screws have enough tensile strength to provide a solid enough mount.

It sure beats having just four small screws concentrated in an area of just a few square centimeters.

An anodized version would be nice to have since it would get some exposure to salt air.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #27

I am now Powder Coating all plates and wings.

This is a slightly different wing with removable hot shoe.

You can flip it to the outside or keep it to the inside. I like the idea of keeping mikes on the inside, more protected. I can also see adding another bend to the wing so that the hot shoe is on top.

Also I think this setup will fit in most bags. It is no wider than lens handle.

I also just made prototype for the NanoFlash. Here is a link to photos.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...nanoflash.html

If you have any interest in trying this setup, or any suggestions. Contact me.
olof@westsideav.com
Attached Thumbnails
Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now-_mg_5203s.jpg   Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now-_mg_5207s.jpg  

Stronger EX1 bottom plate available now-_mg_5216s.jpg  
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #28
Trustee

Ho Olof.

A suggestion would be 2 shoes on the wing, that way i can put both of my receivers next to each other on the wing.
Even if the wing needs to be a bit bigger that would be no problem.
I like the idea of the swivelling/removeable wing, as i'd like the receivers on the rear of the camera so that i can see them.

Paul.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #29
Major Player

I was Olof's "beta tester" for this product, and it is terrific. I sent my camera to him so that he could attach the plate for me. My factory tripod receptacle got ripped out -- Olof repaired and made a much stronger bottom plate for a lot less than Sony would have charged to just bring it back to factory. The "wing" is very handy -- I used it last night to mount my Sound Devices preamp. In addition, as you'll see from the photos below, the threads are configured so that I can use both screws and the pin for my Sachtler wedge plate.

If you're adding any weight to the EX1, such as a lens adapter or teleprompter (I had both when mine crashed), this is a must-have. Or if you're not as careful as you should be about not putting excess pressure on the factory receptacle (that's me too), ditto.

Here's my photos: Olof Ekbergh's camera plate

By the way, when Olof had my camera I had him also fix an issue I had with one of my XLR inputs. And he had the camera back to me in less than a week!
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds