Advice on a bag for the EX1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annen James View Post
Love my pelican 1510. I would never go with a soft case. ...Why you would ever risk a 10k investment in a soft case is a mystery to me.....

oh.. and it is carry on legal for EVERY airline and airplane size, including those tiny CRJ or RJ's delta connections fly. They say the won't fit, but they do, with no problem!
In the overhead? ...or under the seat?

If it's under the seat, does it stick out? 22" is pretty long...

If it does fit in the overhead on a feeder jet, taking almost 2 feet of an overhead bay must make you popular with other passengers...

I agree with the concept of a hard case for protection, but keep in mind that if the equipment is carried on, it never leaves your control. Very few of us carry laptops in hard cases (the gear isn't as much of an investment as the data inside it). The Pelican 1510 looks like a good option that I'll likely check out as getting the camera in and out for inspection is a pain, but I've never had a protection issue carrying gear on in my Kata bags. First, they're probably more rigid than you're picturing, and second the bit of flexibility that they do have can be the difference in fitting into a compartment or not.
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #47
Regular Crew

I got the Porta Brace CS-DV3 for Sony EX1 at last year NAB.
It's little tight but perfect for travel by car or airplane.
Camera + AC adapter + extra batteries + about 10 memory cards + Light + wireless mic + manual & cables
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #48
Regular Crew

The 1510 fits in every airline overhead bin, save maybe a turbo prop plane. I've personally tested. Sometimes it has to go parallel to the isle, but no big deal.
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #49
Major Player

For carrying my gear on the plane I use Kata HB-207, which accommodates everything, including my 5DMkII and some lenses apart from the EX1r.
But this bag is big and uncomfortable for daily use, therefore I bring along another one with me: the Kata CC-193 which is suitable for the camera with batteries, audio recorder, mic, cards and even the new Sony shoulder mount for the EX1.

This bag will go inside my luggage and will be filled with things for the flight: ideal for protecting my hard drives. I always have a waterproof sack with me - recently it saved my equipment in a tropical storm.
I was tempted by the hard cases... but their weight would force me to business class, which I am not ready to pay for, so I gave it up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds