media restore freeze - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herman View Post
p.s. where are you sourcing your ATP cards and which are the ones that REALLY REALLY work? (blush)
We're not allowed to link to non DVInfo official vendors direct on here due to the rules. Which is madness as there are no official UK vendors listed.

I prefer the ATP Pro Max 16gb Class 6 card and others can probably confirm this is what they are using. I also prefer the lockable adaptors from MxM as this eliminates the chance of accidental ejection. Last time I looked MxM would sell you a bundle of a card + the adaptor. In my testing the MxM adaptors were marginally faster although I believe this is no longer the case on the latest MxR hardware revision.

I'm not saying they won't fail. There is no such thing as totally bullet proof flash memory. But I and others have been shooting on the combo above for nearly a year now without fault. This includes me accidentally shooting full overcranked footage onto such a card on the old firmware (I forgot to switch slots).

The thing is, as I say, the Transcend issue is known. It is always worth keeping an eye on this forum to see what is happening. For many months after we discovered the issue, retailers were still happily selling the combinations and we had many posts reporting problems.

I hope to put together a blog post soon to get all the information people will need into one place.

And for goodness sake please update your firmware.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; August 4th, 2010 at 03:53 AM.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #17
Trustee

You can get them here.
MxM Express SDHC Cards
Or
Memory Cards - Blank Media & Tapes - Proactive
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #18
Major Player

I note that MxM are now only selling the Class 10 cards. I have one of these cards and it seems fine but I obviously haven't put the same hours into this card as I have my Class 6 cards which I've had far far longer.
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

firmware updated (for free by Prestons in Malvern) also bought out their stock of SxS cards (3 8gb) and, oh please don't tell me I missed yet more horror stories, the only SDHC cards they had in stock a class 10 32gb Sandisk. Now for an eight hour drive back to the bikers in the Peak district.
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #20
Major Player

As promised I've put together a little blog entry for reference which addresses a few of the issues and hopefully helps steer people through the minefield of SDHC.

SDHC Choice for the Sony EX1 | Media2u Video Production Blog

If anyone feels anything is missing, do shout. I've tried to stay on the side of caution when recommending cards. I know the new firmware is more forgiving but I still have concerns about things such as ESD and production consistency.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Major Player

Nicely done, Marcus. Well written and timely.

On a related note, I have a question about how the EX1/3 was changed when the most recent firmware was applied. Many of us (most?) saw the total recording time for an 8 gig SxS cards go from 28 minutes to 26. Did anybody ever figure out where those two minutes went? Were they lost to some form of "memory buffer" or something similar to allow the use of the SD cards? I never saw an answer to this earlier.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds