SD vs SxS - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:34 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: SD vs SxS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Last but certainly not least: set up your own classification & filing system, that permits you to find any shoot in less than 15 minutes.
Good advice Luc, but finding a shoot within 15 minutes?

are you using a steam powered computer.?
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:13 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Seems everyone is in the dark that Sony released a new firmware for the EX1 and EX1R that allows it to support XQD cards now. Version 1.30 is now out. EX3 has no new updates unfortunately.

I'd be surprised if you could still use Clip Browser 2.6 and Overcrank on Media Adapters on 1.30. EX1R version 1.10 introduced the SDHC adapter and warned you couldn't overcrank, but I'm on 1.20 and I can still overcrank using Sony's SDHC adapter.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; July 31st, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:54 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Good advice Luc, but finding a shoot within 15 minutes?

are you using a steam powered computer.?
I meant 'maximum' 15 minutes, of course. Could be more in the early morning, as the computer in my head doesn't start working before 10 p.m.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:37 AM   #34
Trustee

I am sure you mean 10.am

My head computer hasn't been working properly for the last five years
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #35
Major Player

A quick tale about SD cards from the weekend not involving the EX1 but proving how sturdy these little devices are.

I won't bore you with the details but a Sandisk Extreme card ended up fully submerged in river water for nearly half an hour. Cue a lot of worry.

However when the card fully dried out all the data barring the final clip was recovered (this would have been a write fail rather than a card fail). Card is sitting on my desk and is quite happy. They are apparently good for 72 hours in water so half hour or so wasn't a problem.

SanDisk cards environmental tolerance (waterproof, temperature, magnetic and x-ray proof)

So the next time someone starts saying how SD cards are flimsy and unreliable perhaps they were just using the wrong cards?
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #36
Trustee

Marcus,

I attended a Samsung memory card launch last year, we were all told we could help ourselves to a 16gb SD HC memory card (one of the many press perks), The cards were in a tank full of sea water together with fish and had been there for over 24 hours. I Didn't manage to catch a fish but I have been using the SD card for 14 months without any problems.

Thanks for the memory Sam | photo-i - digital photography
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Marcus,

I attended a Samsung memory card launch last year, we were all told we could help ourselves to a 16gb SD HC memory card (one of the many press perks), The cards were in a tank full of sea water together with fish and had been there for over 24 hours. I Didn't manage to catch a fish but I have been using the SD card for 14 months without any problems.

Thanks for the memory Sam | photo-i - digital photography
I only use the Sandisk Extreme or ATP cards as both are waterproof, static proof etc. I don't think it's worth considering any card that isn't "toughened". The price differential is tiny.
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #38
New Boot

My ex1r package was labeled as ex1r/2 so there were no sxs cards inside. Paid close to 8k$ for the camera and there wasn't even ONE sony memory stick with a 8 gb sd card. Nothing... Had to use my hdd with an adapter for the first few hours of shooting.

Their cameras are nice, but i think Sony is ripping people off with their overpriced media. Look at the upcoming GH3. Records 50mbits onto sdhc cards and nobody will question that.

I'm using a ATP Pro max 32 gb and a 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card on MXM adapters. No problems so far. Why would there be anyway? As long as the media is tested and trusty (i had a problem with another adapter manufacturer but won't comment about that in here), and as long as i remain calm and don't pull the card out as soon as i stop the record, i won't have any troubles at all. Comparing to my old Canon mvx20i, which was a minidv, i can wait 5-6 seconds after i stop recording. Back then recording then previewing something used to take at least 20 seconds, and even more when you were going to import to the pc. You people know this better than me anyway.

I'm an amateur and i'm not a rich person. I don't see myself spending unnecessary cash on overpriced media. As long as there are alternatives, i'll support them instead.
Ozgur Iskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #39
Inner Circle

I am now on Firmware 1.30 on my EX1R and still, no problems.

You can even update your firmware using SDHC by simply putting the Update .BIN file in the "SONY" folder. (at least with the Sony SDHC adapter. Fine for 1.20->1.30, but not for older EX1s.)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds