PMW 300 recording across cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 28th, 2016, 04:00 AM   #1
Major Player

PMW 300 recording across cards

Hi everyone.

Could someone please confirm whether the 300 can be set up to record to two cards at the one time?

I have a PXW-X70 that you can set to simultaneously record to both cards at once which gives a greater level of confidence.

Thanks!

David
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: PMW 300 recording across cards

Nope Dave. Well I've never found a way to do it:)

Also you might consider the XQD option for the SxS cameras. Enables you to use XQD cards on many of the Sony SxS models. Same cards as the FS5 and FS7. Each card comes with a USB 3.0 card reader. Around $AU$220 for a 128GB XQD as opposed to about AU$1,080 for a 128GB SxS card. Just a thought if you need more cards. Just need to check if the 300 can handle the 128 cards. It's okay with the 64GB ones with the latest firmware.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Dave,

If it helps, it is worth knowing that the SxS cards are internally raided. That is, they have an internal storage arrangement that gives them both the sustained speed required for their operation and also the redundancy for the data that is recorded.

I'm yet to have a problem with one.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok thanks guys, perhaps the reason you can record to two cards at once on the PXW-X70 is because you are using SD Cards :-)

That said, in 2 years I have not had an SD card problem. The only issue I did have was, for some reason, Final Cut Pro X didn't import the entire length of one clip. Thank goodness I didn't format the card before I noticed!!

Thanks again,

Dave
David Cleverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Looks like the solution here is a simple one. Stop using Final Cut Pro. :-D

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds