Sony announces the XDCAM EX - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #181
Major Player

I got to see the EX briefly yesterday and had a very intriguing chat with a Sony guy who hinted there is a LOT more to be announced with this camera, especially in terms of price, lens and chip set. I was very impressed with the look and feel of it - all will be revealed at IBC apparently.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #182
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor View Post
...all will be revealed at IBC apparently.
I can't wait that long... ;-D
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #183
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor View Post
I got to see the EX briefly yesterday and had a very intriguing chat with a Sony guy who hinted there is a LOT more to be announced with this camera, especially in terms of price, lens and chip set. I was very impressed with the look and feel of it - all will be revealed at IBC apparently.
Steve, can you tell us how much bigger and heavier than the Z1 the EX really is?
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #184
Major Player

I wasn't allowed to handle it but it looked a little bigger but not much.
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #185
Major Player

"I got to see the EX briefly yesterday and had a very intriguing chat with a Sony guy who hinted there is a LOT more to be announced with this camera, especially in terms of price, lens and chip set. I was very impressed with the look and feel of it - all will be revealed at IBC apparently."

I've heard similiar hints and suggestions. I think Simon knows!! But he probably can't tell us. O well, I can wait. If this camera is what it sounds like......let's just say it will probably be the one to convince me to upgrade from the world of SD. I'm excited to see what they announce in September.......
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #186
Major Player

I'd be very surprised if Simon knows knows!
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #187
MPS Digital Studios

I got to pick it up at the Sony conference and it reminded me of the HVX in size and dimensions, and weighed about the same as the Z1.

heath
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #188
Major Player

Well, from what I understand the DVD on how to use the EX is going to be released in September and Simon is one of the people shooting for the DVD. And I think they are using the EX to shoot all of the material for the DVD....that's ONE of the reasons I think he may have some info on what the final camera will look like:
(see here)
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=159
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #189
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
Well, from what I understand the DVD on how to use the EX is going to be released in September and Simon is one of the people shooting for the DVD. And I think they are using the EX to shoot all of the material for the DVD....that's ONE of the reasons I think he may have some info on what the final camera will look like:
(see here)
http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=159
I’ve read that earlier today and if you click on the link after “more info can be found at” you’ll read this: “Using three 1/2" pickup devices with a native resolution of 1440x1080 (subject to change)” I think Sony’s main goal is to have 1920X1080 imagers with much better lowlight capabilities than the PD170 but they’ll stick with 1440X1080 if it’s not good enough.

It’s true that this camcorder will obviously have a bit rate of around 35mbps in one of the modes but the only surprise that it may have that worth any news is announcing that it’s also going to use the nearly developed 50mbps codec. I also think the Ferrari F355 I mean Sony F355 might use the 50mbps codec as well even though Sony may deny it. Anything’s possible until these cameras are released.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #190
Major Player

Connected to "DVD guide to the Sony XDCAM EX" site, there is a pretty good "Ten reasons why the XDCAM EX makes sense"

my favorite is #2

"The cost of the SxS Express Cards are much cheaper than other solid-state options and they can be bought over the counter in high street stores. ExpressCard is not a Sony invention, it is the PCMCIA industry standard that has replaced the older PCMCIA PC card. This is likely to ensure that prices will come down even faster in the future."

http://www.xdcamex.co.uk/aboutex.php
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #191
Trustee

It now appears Sony has decided on CCD's and not on CMOS chips. The one thing still unclear, at least possibly until the IBC in September, is whether these CCD's will use a Bayer RGB filter or a more efficient CMY filter, which would drastically improve low light capabilities and provide a better signal to noise ratio. This year's IBC will be interesting......
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #192
Inner Circle

Is the XDCAM HD 24/25/30p written as PsF, or full discrete frames?
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #193
Major Player

I believe it's PsF.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #194
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
The one thing still unclear, at least possibly until the IBC in September, is whether these CCD's will use a Bayer RGB filter or a more efficient CMY filter, which .........
A couple of posts up, the spec is given as “Using three 1/2" pickup devices with a native resolution of 1440x1080 (subject to change)” , so I don't think it will be either Bayer or CMY filtering - these only apply to single chip sensors.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #195
Regular Crew

Is this camera coming out in November???
Aidan Wynne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds